Topics

COSMAC stands for?

Hank Riley

This is not easy to find even with extensive use of Google and reading the first P-E article (it's not there AFAI-could see).  Many online sources have it wrong: lots of confusion and mashups with the words behind CMOS.

Is it Complementary Symmetry Monolithic Array Computer?  I think so.

Dennis Boone

This is not easy to find even with extensive use of Google and
> reading the first P-E article (it's not there AFAI-could see). Many
> online sources have it wrong: lots of confusion and mashups with the
> words behind CMOS. Is it Complementary Symmetry Monolithic Array
> Computer? I think so.

An RCA data book from 1979:

https://archive.org/stream/RcaCosmosIntegratedCircuitsManual/RcaCosmosIntegratedCircuitsManual_djvu.txt

says their CMOS process was called "COS/MOS (Complementary-Symmetry
Metal-Oxide Semiconductor)". Their trademark forced the industry to
come up with a different term, and CMOS was the winner.

An RCA research report from 1973, excerpts here:

http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/RCA_Res_1973_COSMAC.pdf

says "a specific microprocessor has been designed-COSMAC for
COmplementary-Symmetry-Monolithic-Array Computer".

De

Hank Riley

Dennis,

Okay, I thought what I had was correct  but just needed to make sure.  Thank you and thanks to Herb for assembling, curating, and making all this material accessible without having to visit the Hagley.

1973 is almost the beginning of written material on the COSMAC concept, but not quite.   I guess the FRED manual, July 1972, is among the very earliest, if not the earliest.

Hank

   [snip]