Topics

CDP1869/1870/1876 Video/Audio Chipset

MIPSPro

I've searched for info on this chipset and people have said they are relatively rare but they seem to be pretty plentiful and inexpensive on eBay, with both Harris and RCA chips available. Am I missing something here? I've bought a few to add to my collection and maybe tinker around with my ELF2K/VIP.

Lee Hart

MIPSPro wrote:
I've searched for info on this chipset and people have said they are
relatively rare but they seem to be pretty plentiful and inexpensive on
eBay, with both Harris and RCA chips available.
Let us know if they actually work. It is both common and easy to re-mark chips with whatever label the seller thinks will make it "sell".

--
In software development, there are two kinds of error: Conceptual
errors, implementation errors, and off-by-one errors. (anonymous)

Hi -

I added a VIS to my ELF-ish - see https://groups.io/g/cosmacelf/topic/todd_s_elf_ish_gets_gets_a/31591676.

Lee's point is quite good - buying stuff on eBay, particularly from China, etc, can be just a crap shoot.  That said, I've purchased a few used parts from funkward-tech, all of which seemed to have worked alright, including a CDP1869.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

For my VIS, I went with the CDP1876 for the RGB output.  I wasn't able to find any on eBay, but found Summit Electronics Corp who could supply these new, as well as a few other hard to find CDP18xx devices I was looking for.

If you do build one of these, it would be cool to see it posted.

Good Luck!

Todd

somaspack

As I recall the crystals needed for this chipset is hard to find. It requires two - one is common, the other is not. Haven't found one yet.

Scott

cmdrcosmac

Digi-Key sells programmable oscillators and will program the frequency to order.
For example, CPPC1-HT56P-ND. 1pc. $2.93

Chuck.

taf123

I didn't know about that programmable option - good tip.

I managed to find a 11.3258Mhz crystal, which with a simple /2 gives 5.6629Mhz, instead of the specified 5.67Mhz.  This worked fine with my scan converter.

Cheers,
Todd