Topics

A18 1802/3/4 cross assembler / DOSBOX #Assembler

Joe Blackburn

Has anyone used/tested the A18 Cross Assembler on the MAC with DOSBOX for OS/10? Is so, what's the verdict?

I was used to Crossbow on the older, PowerPC Mac, but there is no version for the new Intel Macs or OS/X. I liked the IDE.

Any other MAC Cross-Compilers out there?

Mark Abene

There's no reason why you couldn't compile and use a18 in a terminal window on the Mac, unless there's some special reason you want to use DOSBox...

-Mark

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019, 10:09 PM Joe Blackburn via Groups.Io <josephjohnblackburn=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Has anyone used/tested the A18 Cross Assembler on the MAC with DOSBOX for OS/10? Is so, what's the verdict?

I was used to Crossbow on the older, PowerPC Mac, but there is no version for the new Intel Macs or OS/X. I liked the IDE.

Any other MAC Cross-Compilers out there?

Joe Blackburn

Mark - LOL - that didn't even occur to me!

I assumed the code would be specific to PC's...

Mark Abene

No problem. On Herb's site, he includes some notes of mine for compiling it on linux. Same should apply for Mac.

Regards,
Mark

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, 12:11 AM Joe Blackburn via Groups.Io <josephjohnblackburn=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Mark - LOL - that didn't even occur to me!

I assumed the code would be specific to PC's...

thinkpast

The Web site, the ZIP file content, and the sources for A18 are pretty informative.

The EXE I provide is a 32-bit MSDOS executable, that I believe makes no particular demands on "MS-DOS". It's a command line program. Now - if your "DOSBOX" is not 32-bit compatible, you might do (as my notes suggest) and recompile A18 under Turbo C / MS-DOS which is of course a 16-bit compiler. I haven't 16-bit recompiled A18 lately, but if asked I might get around to doing it and leave a current EXE for it as well.

I don't know about MAC OSX C compilers. Do they have a command line interface option of some sort? If you do compile on a Mac, I'd not mind knowing details. Please tell me the OS and compiler you use. You might have to use a different "include" for the I/O library, calls to which are awfully plain. "Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander", so if A18 compiles in some Mac fashion, all the other assemblers I offer should do likewise. Inform me, and I'll add the process to my A18 Web page. Any Mac developers who are curious, of course, could give this a try; thanks.

Regards, Herb Johnson

Joe Blackburn

Edited

Hi, herb

I do still have my Turbo C, Borland C, etc., but haven't fired it up in decades.

Most of my programming prior to retirement was high-level. I taught ADABAS/Natural for decades, and worked in PowerBuilder and Watcom C. As with most modern Database products, when working in MYSQL, Oracle, or SQL Server, I leaned on SQL. But we often wrote applications for Natural, or for Windows using Visual Studio with SQL embedded in C or JAVA.

My preferred language was always PASCAL. (and Borland's Delphi) as that is the language I have used since the late 1970's.

I'm caught, "changing hats" - as post retirement, I'm going WAY back to my roots, with Assembler, Machine Code and Cross-Compilers. I even worked on several Compilers back in those heady early days.

So bear with me, Herb, I' check out what's up in OS/10 (others feel free to contribute). OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra is the current install. Below the IDE is LINUX, based on Darwin.

This what the Console tells me:

    System Software Overview:

      System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G7024)

      Kernel Version: Darwin 17.7.0

      Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

      Boot Mode: Normal

      Computer Name: Joes MacBookPro

      User Name: Joe Blackburn (joebl)

      Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

      System Integrity Protection: Enabled

      Time since boot: 4:48

It should be possible to compile under Linux in the Secure Terninal app.

Not sure what the default C compiler is in the Terminal environment (Linux) but I also have Apple's XCODE (equivalent to Visual Studio for Macs).

Joe Blackburn

Herb in the Terminal (Mac's Command Line) gcc is as follows. This is OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra.

Josephs-MacBook-Pro:~ joebl$ gcc --version

Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1

Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0

Thread model: posix

InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin

Andrew Jacobs

I have a cross platform 1802 assembler I wrote in Java. Works on anything with a JRE.

Neil Cherry

On 7/20/19 3:08 AM, Joe Blackburn via Groups.Io wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
Hi, herb
I do still have my Turbo C, Borland C, etc., but haven't fired it up in decades.
Herb and I live in the same state. Herb if you need Turbo/Borland C or C++
let me know. I have a legal version and I have the manuals for 4.5 (I think
that's it). I think most Windows Turbo/Borland C++ are okay to share but
I know mine is (got it from the Borland site, may still be available). I
can lend you the manuals but I would like them back.

I'm currently running the Turbo env under the virtual DOS boxes.

http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog