A Minimum Interface to control processors #Forth #debug #Serial

Juergen Pintaske

https://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~bolo/shipyard/3ins4th.html?fbclid=IwAR22RxSqRTJhFqLn_tgCaRrFr1v64wR4Rv0ORwXsLO4husLDDXdOAMMqYdI
I just remebered this link.

OK it is Forth, but should be relevant for any processor - here 180x - or language.

How difficult would it be to adapt an existing 1802 monitor program ( with bit bang implemented already ) to the required functionality?

Lee Hart

Juergen Pintaske via groups.io wrote:
I just remembered this link.
OK it is Forth, but should be relevant for any processor - here 180x - or language.
How difficult would it be to adapt an existing 1802 monitor program ( with bit bang implemented already ) to the required functionality?
Hi Juergen,

Yes, it is an interesting idea! In a way, this is what any monitor program can do. The difference is that most monitors have more features than just read/write/run, because they are expected to be used by people rather than computers. He made this "monitor" as small as possible, by only operating it with a computer.

When you operate it with a computer, I suspect you could do it all with just *one* command; write-and-run. This is the method that the Fluke 9010 Troubleshooter used; it would load a tiny program to do whatever command you want to execute -- read memory, write memory, run a program, read or write to an I/O port, find or test RAM, checksum ROM, etc.

A bit-banger routine for the 1802 can be pretty small; 10-20 bytes. One could be written to read a string of characters, treat them as 8-bit binary, load them into memory, and then execute them. This should give the remote system the ability to do anything. It could load little programs to (for example) create a bit-bang serial output, read a block of memory, and send it back to the host system.

Lee Hart

--
Obsolete (Ob-so-LETE). Adjective. 1. Something that is simple,
reliable, straightforward, readily available, easy to use, and
affordable. 2. Not what the salesman wants you to buy.
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus