Topics

Emma 02 - V1.33 #Emulator #mcds #microboards

Marcel van Tongeren

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the nice comments!

I do want to mention (in case you don’t know) that I ‘cheated’ and used Mike’s 1802 emulator code as a starting point. So that gave me a kick start for sure. Of course I did add quite a lot of machines and features since.

When I started I was also not aware of all machines on the 1802; we had a COMX 35 ourselves and I had heard about the Elf and the Cosmicos but nothing else.

Cheers, Marcel

marcpic1802

Hi Marcel,
I downloaded and tried your emulator last week.
I would like to congratulate you for your SUPERB program!
I was amazed at how many different kits there were for the CDP1802!
I was only familiar with my Netronics Elf II kit I built back in the late 70's.
I knew about the VIP and that's about it.
I'm also amazed that you emulate all of these in your emulator!
It's fun to be able to try other kits to see how they used to work.
I know what's involved in writing an emulator/simulator having written my 1802ElfSim over 5 years ago already.
My simulator seems nothing compared to yours.
Thank-you for making it available to us.
Cheers,
Marc

Marcel van Tongeren

Emma 02 V1.34 is now released, only bug fixes for the Microboard setup GUIs. Mainly for linux but also fixes some smaller bugs on OSX and windows. I hope this versions is more stable than 1.33....

I have also tested the installer on Mint 18.2, works 'ok', but it does not run on 17.3. Mainly due to the fact that I don't know how to get the libserialport installed on that version, if anyone has any ideas feel free to drop me an email. Similar problems on CentOS 7 so for now that is also not supported.

Download: https://emma02.hobby-site.com/download.html
Change Log: https://emma02.hobby-site.com/changelog.html

As always bug reports, questions or comments are welcome.

Cheers, Marcel.

Marcel van Tongeren

Thanks Dave!

One warning... I found some errors in the GUIs for the Microboard settings on linux, basically all of them crash. I also think there are some cases where they won't work on windows and OSX but might be rare. Anyway I'm trying to fix those and hopefully release a bug fix release 1.34 during this week.

Dave Ruske

Really fantastic work, Marcel!

Dave

On Nov 7, 2019, at 3:15 PM, Marcel van Tongeren <marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

Just released Emma 02 - V1.33, took me exactly 2 months.....

Marcel van Tongeren

Hi,

Just released Emma 02 - V1.33, took me exactly 2 months.....

Anyway I think this is a nice one :). I replaced the CDP18S6xx emulators which I had added in V1.32 with one Microboard System emulator. This one emulates the 11 CPU boards (CDP18S600 to 610) as well as multiple memory boards, display, UART, printer, FDC, tape, I/O and video boards. Option to specify 24 Microboards at the same time, with the current supported boards I don't think you can 'fill it'. There is a limitation as CPU boards have to go in slot 1 and some of the boards can only be used 'once' (display, printer, FDC, tape, I/O and video).

I have some pre defined configurations loadable via the File / Configuration / Load menu, including the MCDS, MS2000 as well as a 'demo' configuration using the COMX ROM on the CDP18S661 video boards.

Download: https://emma02.hobby-site.com/download.html
Change Log: https://emma02.hobby-site.com/changelog.html

Available for OS X, windows (32/64 bit), linux (rpm/dev)