Topics

Another Elfer #ELF2K

Andrew Hudson

Hi Folks,

I earned money by mowing lawns and raking leaves in 1980 and bought the Elf II kit. I soldered it myself and powered it with a home brew full wave rectifier power supply.
I added the cassette interface and was storing and loading programs from cassette as well as writing my own in machine code.
I went off to get a degree in computer science and went on to work on computers, all of which were larger in every respect.
I recently found my old Elf in my parent's attic. The old power supply is dead. Probably the capacitor. I have another 5 V PSU and will see if it boots later this summer
when I go back. If it's still alive I might be interested in buying a spare RAM card or other accessories :-)

It's great to be part of history. We were doing it before it was cool :-)

Timothy Stoddard

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:40 PM, <hudsonco1@...> wrote:
Hi Folks,

I earned money by mowing lawns and raking leaves in 1980 and bought the Elf II kit. I soldered it myself and powered it with a home brew full wave rectifier power supply.
I added the cassette interface and was storing and loading programs from cassette as well as writing my own in machine code.
I went off to get a degree in computer science and went on to work on computers, all of which were larger in every respect.
I recently found my old Elf in my parent's attic. The old power supply is dead. Probably the capacitor. I have another 5 V PSU and will see if it boots later this summer
when I go back. If it's still alive I might be interested in buying a spare RAM card or other accessories :-)

It's great to be part of history. We were doing it before it was cool :-)
Great story! I have long ago lost my Neutronics Elf, but have since built several and recently a SBC1802 running figForth... still looking to expand it and have fun! It sure brings back the good old days!

--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"