Topics

Thai CDP 1802 #Wichit

John Miles

Some time ago I purchased an assembled and tested CDP 1802 Microprocessor Kit from Thailand. Chuck Yakym was kind enough to give me a copy of his MCSMP20 monitor and BASIC3, modified to run on the Thai kit.

Both worked like a dream, no problems whatsoever. I added a 16x2 LCD module to the Thai kit and was able to "poke" the appropriate addresses from BASIC3 and write to the module (photo attached).

Enjoy 

Rick

Hi John,

I recently purchased the 8085 version, and have I’ve been tempted to get the 1802 version. It would definitely be worth it to have a decent monitor and BASIC.  Is the code you mentioned available?

John Miles

Hi Rick,

The monitor and BASIC code (Hex file) came from Chuck Yakym (the-eagle) and I simply burned it into a 32k eprom, so I didn´t do much at all.

I believe that the same code is available for the Membership Card.

Please note that the Thai kit has no mass storage, so saving/loading your work in BASIC3 can only be done over the serial link using putty or something similar.

cheers

John

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 01:59, Rick <rppolicy@...> wrote:
Hi John,

I recently purchased the 8085 version, and have I’ve been tempted to get the 1802 version. It would definitely be worth it to have a decent monitor and BASIC.  Is the code you mentioned available?

Paul Schmidt

At some point, I wonder if we might consider referring to Wichit’s educational products by his name, instead of just ‘Thai’….seems that is only fair and appropriate to credit him for his efforts…..just a thought.

Paul

From: cosmacelf@groups.io [mailto:cosmacelf@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Miles
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2019 10:28 PM
To: cosmacelf@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Thai CDP 1802

Hi Rick,

The monitor and BASIC code (Hex file) came from Chuck Yakym (the-eagle) and I simply burned it into a 32k eprom, so I didn´t do much at all.

I believe that the same code is available for the Membership Card.

Please note that the Thai kit has no mass storage, so saving/loading your work in BASIC3 can only be done over the serial link using putty or something similar.

cheers

John

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 01:59, Rick <rppolicy@...> wrote:

Hi John,

I recently purchased the 8085 version, and have I’ve been tempted to get the 1802 version. It would definitely be worth it to have a decent monitor and BASIC.  Is the code you mentioned available?

Rick

Paul,

I totally agree Paul.  Based on the board I bought, the effor that he put in deserves recognition.  He has a version for just about every 8 bit processor.  They would make great trainers for high school and college courses.

If Wichit sees this message, I apologize.

Rick

Raymond Sills

And a link to where the boards can be found would be nice to know.

73 de Ray

-----Original Message-----
To: cosmacelf <cosmacelf@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Apr 6, 2019 7:54 am

Paul,

I totally agree Paul.  Based on the board I bought, the effor that he put in deserves recognition.  He has a version for just about every 8 bit processor.  They would make great trainers for high school and college courses.

If Wichit sees this message, I apologize.

Rick

Paul Birkel

From: cosmacelf@groups.io [mailto:cosmacelf@groups.io] On Behalf Of Raymond Sills via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 8:49 AM

73 de Ray

-----

Cc: raysills@...
Sent: Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:07:17 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CDP1802-Microprocessor-Kit/283432959803

From: cosmacelf@groups.io [mailto:cosmacelf@groups.io] On Behalf Of Raymond Sills via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 8:49 AM

73 de Ray

-----

Chuck, may I ask if you've described the changes to support Prof. Sirichote's board somewhere, please?  I imagine you needed to note and work around the memory mapped I/O area, and I assume you needed to support the ACIA chip for serial I/O?

Cheerful regards, Mike

Sent: Saturday, April 6, 2019 11:26:28 AM

For all interested, I just added the CDP1802A Monitor Program (cdp1802a.bin) along with its updated user manual to my file section (The-Eagle) in sub-folder named: CDP1802 Microprocessor Kit Software. This software is a modified version of my MCSMP20 Monitor Program which works on the CDP1802 Microprocessor Kit by Wichit Sirichote.

Enjoy,
Chuck

John Miles

Hi Folks,

I was the first person to coin the name "Thai kit". I imagined that everyone had either heard of or dealt with Wichit Sirichote since he has been a fairly prolific producer of good quality and well documented Microprocessor Kits over the past few years. I purchased a few of his kits and they have always provided many hours of entertainment and enlightenment at a very reasonable cost. Furthermore, Wichit seems to be a nice guy, always prepared to help and give advice on some of my wacky ideas.

Please accept my apologies for any offence.

cheers

John

Paul Schmidt

I don’t think there is any offense from the use of “Thai kit” or similar. I just think that for the initiated folks, referencing Wichit’s name will just give credit where it is due, and for the uninitiated folks, ADDING Wichit’s name (preferably full name, but “Wichit” might suffice as an easy to remember abbreviation) can only help avoid confusion and also help give due credit.

Same way we usually mention Lee Hart’s name in relation to his kits, etc; instead of saying “Minnesota kits”.

Paul

From: cosmacelf@groups.io [mailto:cosmacelf@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Miles
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2019 5:38 PM

Hi Folks,

I was the first person to coin the name "Thai kit". I imagined that everyone had either heard of or dealt with Wichit Sirichote since he has been a fairly prolific producer of good quality and well documented Microprocessor Kits over the past few years. I purchased a few of his kits and they have always provided many hours of entertainment and enlightenment at a very reasonable cost. Furthermore, Wichit seems to be a nice guy, always prepared to help and give advice on some of my wacky ideas.

Please accept my apologies for any offence.

cheers

John

Terry Gray

Chuck, is the source for your monitor program available?

Stephen Cass

I just received a 6502-based kit (sorry! sorry! I know!) from Wichit, and I have to say his build quality is first rate, 

Cheers,

Stephen

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 10:18 PM Terry Gray <twgray2007@...> wrote:
Chuck, is the source for your monitor program available?

Clyde Smith

sorry i must of missed it but where does one get these kits.  thanks  clyde

John Miles

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 18:00, Clyde Smith via Groups.Io <hkryclyde=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
sorry i must of missed it but where does one get these kits.  thanks  clyde

Clyde Smith

clyde again.  sorry if im dense.  i looked at ebay for the 1802 kits etc.  they look good .
question-- why are these being made  now and also the other processor kits as well.   are we having some kind of resurgence of basic computing ???  thanks  clyde

On Sunday, April 7, 2019, 3:00:24 PM EDT, the-eagle@... <The-Eagle@...> wrote:

For all interested, I have updated the 2.0A user manual today is available in my file section.

Regards,
Chuck Yakym

Chuck

I've been poking around on the Groups.io site and I can't find the files area. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chuck

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of the-eagle@... via Groups.Io <The-Eagle@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:14 PM

For all interested, I have posted in my file section an A18 assembler listing that will demonstrate on how to initialize a HD44780 LCD display for use on the CDP1802 Microprocessor Kit. I personally use a 16 by 2 lines display on my kit.

Regards,

Chuck Yakym

gregory simmons

Hello Chuck,

On my computer, on the right side of the screen when I log onto groups.io, there are a few hyperlinks labelled "VIEW ALL".  If you click any one of them, then the menu bar on the far left side expands, and "Files" is the 3rd item from the bottom.  If you're computer acts the same way mine does, there ya go!  (PS -- I don't know whether it matters, but I'm using Chrome on Windows).

Best wishes,
greg/ab8im

To: "cosmacelf@groups.io" <cosmacelf@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 5:01 PM

I've been poking around on the Groups.io site and I can't find the files area. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chuck

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of the-eagle@... via Groups.Io <The-Eagle@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:14 PM

For all interested, I have posted in my file section an A18 assembler listing that will demonstrate on how to initialize a HD44780 LCD display for use on the CDP1802 Microprocessor Kit. I personally use a 16 by 2 lines display on my kit.

Regards,
Chuck Yakym