Topics

HEX Keypad #Homebrew

Timothy Stoddard

Finished my custom blue LED backlit HEX key pad using Sparkfun Cherry key breakouts and Red MX Cherry key switches... Now for the control keys....

--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

Timothy Stoddard

Here are some shots of the assembly...
--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

Rick

Nice build!

Were the key caps off an old keyboard?  Or did you buy them somewhere?

Timothy Stoddard

I bought them off Amazon...

CHAKRA Centers Chart, Rainbow:... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LDWZVSZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

Mark Abene

Very sharp. That's a unique layout for the keys... Is that ordering based on something? Just curious.

-M

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 3:50 PM Timothy Stoddard <tim@...> wrote:
I bought them off Amazon...

CHAKRA Centers Chart, Rainbow:... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LDWZVSZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

Timothy Stoddard

Layout is actually old-school... it's the layout used from all of the early variations of the 'COSMAC ELF'. Neutronics, Quest, Popular Electronics article all used this layout and is simply based on the encoder chip used: 74C922/3.
--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

John

Mark, did you mean the key layout in the advertisement (with the L-shaped Enter key above)? I thought that was strange too.

The 0 to F square arrangement of Tim's keypad is totally logical to my mind. I used this layout for my PIC-based MK14 replica. I could never understand why anyone would use the telephone keypad arrangement of 0 to 9 then strew the A to F around the edge, not in the hexadecimal world.

John, Nottingham

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 12:05, Timothy Stoddard <tim@...> wrote:
Layout is actually old-school... it's the layout used from all of the early variations of the 'COSMAC ELF'. Neutronics, Quest, Popular Electronics article all used this layout and is simply based on the encoder chip used: 74C922/3.
--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

John

P.S. Tim I'm very impressed. You have a small fortune's worth of TIL311s there at today's prices. Or yesterday's prices, for that matter.

I wish I could focus on one thing. I'm building an Elf, a Mini Scamp and I have an RC2014 (Z80) demanding expansion!

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 12:38, John via Groups.Io <easydogxray=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mark, did you mean the key layout in the advertisement (with the L-shaped Enter key above)? I thought that was strange too.

The 0 to F square arrangement of Tim's keypad is totally logical to my mind. I used this layout for my PIC-based MK14 replica. I could never understand why anyone would use the telephone keypad arrangement of 0 to 9 then strew the A to F around the edge, not in the hexadecimal world.

John, Nottingham

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 12:05, Timothy Stoddard <tim@...> wrote:
Layout is actually old-school... it's the layout used from all of the early variations of the 'COSMAC ELF'. Neutronics, Quest, Popular Electronics article all used this layout and is simply based on the encoder chip used: 74C922/3.
--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

David Madole

Your arrangement is the same as the Netronics. The Quest Super Elf has the rows in the opposite order, the zero is at the top. It wasn’t all that standardized even when using that chip :)

David

Layout is actually old-school... it's the layout used from all of the early variations of the 'COSMAC ELF'. Neutronics, Quest, Popular Electronics article all used this layout and is simply based on the encoder chip used: 74C922/3.
--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"

_._,_._,_

David Madole

You know, it also just struck me you could arrange the keys anyway at all you wanted with that encoder chip. All that matters is that they are electrically in that matrix. They could be physically arranged totally differently.

David