Topics

IEEE Spectrum inducts the 1802 into the Chip Hall of Fame

Stephen Cass

Hello all,

The official announcement is July 5th, but I wanted to give you folks a heads up that we've soft-launched the 2018 class of inductees for IEEE Spectrum's Chip Hall of Fame, which tries to tell the stories behind the invention of influential integrated circuits. Included in this year's class is the 1802!

https://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/chip-hall-of-fame-rca-cdp-1802

For me, the most fascinating part of my research for the citation was reading Joe Weisbecker's own words in two 1974 articles in "Computer" magazine, where he pretty much laid out the home computer revolution, right down to people swapping programs in magazines. He was a true visionary, and my own hope is that the Hall of Fame induction helps make him even just a little bit better known to today's techies.

Anyhoo, I hope you all like it!

Stephen

bill rowe

That's a great writeup stephen - very well written and kudos to you for putting it forward.  I knew about "Fred" etc and, of course, the Popular Electronics articles but i had not really realized that weisbecker thought the home market was important.

[...]

Steve Gemeny

Excellent work and a very enjoyable read. Exactly on point as a teaching tool for exquiring young minds...

The 1802 is how I taught myself computer design and operation just a couple years out of high school when I was finding College to be exceedingly mundane and dissatisfying.  What I learned with the 1802 projects, on my own, launched me on a path that lead me through COMSAT Corporation & a tech spin-off, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory & a second tech spin-off on what now has been a 38 year career.  Along that trek, the 1802 has kept me company, even informing my development of the Longevity Plan for NASA’s New Horizons mission to explore Pluto as Ground System Lead Engineer. I still have that 2003 rebuild of the ELF hanging on the wall of my Dir. Business Development office at that second tech spin-off (running with Blinkin’ lights) - which evokes the occasional ‘what is that?’ from a fresh out engineer...

Not too bad a legacy for that little $80 elf built back in the day. (And I know I've heard dozens of similar 1802 stories over the years).

Steve Gemeny

Sent by my fat thumbs drifting aimlessly  across tiny soft I Keys...

On Jul 4, 2018, at 8:20 AM, bill rowe bill_rowe_ottawa@... [cosmacelf] <cosmacelf@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris

Awesome article Stephen!

I was skimming the table of contents and "RCA 1802" caught my eye!

Chris Wardell