Topics

FW: New Interpreted Programming Language Called CHIP-12 and a BASIC Compiler for it

Paul Birkel

Cross-post:

----Original Message-----
To: rcacosmac <rcacosmac@...>
Sent: Sun, May 28, 2017 4:31 pm
Subject: [rcacosmac] New Interpreted Programming Language Called CHIP-12 and a BASIC Compiler for it

Hi Everyone,

This is just an FYI to all those who like CHIP-8 and to everyone who like learning new things (especially when it comes to novel developing software).

I have also written a CHIP-12 BASIC Compiler which will help in learning CHIP-12.

I have tried my best to give examples and tutorials, etc.

You can read and learn all about it on my website ----> http://marcpic.com/

Here's the direct link to the CHIP-12 and CHIP-12 BASIC Compiler Page  ---> http://marcpic.com/CHIP12/

I'm available to answer questions and help anyone wishing to learn CHIP-12 and the BASIC Compiler via e-mail marcpic13@... or my fa cebook page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012216906794

Cheers!

Posted by: Raymond Sills

-----

Joe Blackburn

The Links in Marc's post are broken. Anyone in touch with Marc, or know if there is a new location for CHIP-12 and related material?

Paul Birkel

Joe Blackburn

Edited

Thanks, Paul!

Looks like it's all archived. The links are broken.

I found Marc on fb. Appears he went into politics in 2017, looks like he's "moved on". However, in looking at the archived page, the log showed that the coding was actually done by "Gilbert". I found a note saying that Marc's brother, Gilbert Bertrand was the originator.

Will try to see if Gilbert is online...

I've sent notes to Marc and Gilbert's last known emails. Will see if we get a response...

bill rowe

oh wow - I knew a Gil Bertrand in the 70's.  We worked together on a couple of 1802 projects.  If he's in Quebec I'm sure it's the same guy.

His brother got in touch with me a while ago and we planned to get together but it never happened.

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of Joe Blackburn via Groups.Io <josephjohnblackburn@...>
Sent: July 16, 2019 12:40 PM
To: cosmacelf@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] FW: New Interpreted Programming Language Called CHIP-12 and a BASIC Compiler for it

Thanks, Paul!

I found Marc on fb. Appears he went into politics in 2017, looks like he's "moved on". However, in looking at the archived page, the log showed that the coding was actually done by "Gilbert". I found a note saying that Marc's brother, Gilbert Bertrand was the originator.

Will try to see if Gilbert is online...

--
Bill Rowe
Olduino - an arduino for the first of us
https://olduino.wordpress.com/about-2/about/

Joe Blackburn

Edited

Bill Rowe - Yes, his brother is Marcel (Marc).

I think he's in Gatineau. Works in Ottawa.

I sent an email to both Marc and Gilbert. Hopefully one will get a response. Gilbert had worked on this stuff for almost 20 years, so there was a lot of stuff on that web site, but unfortunately, the links on the Wayback Machine are broken.

Marc appears to be in the USA, and is involved with the "Humanity Party". Both were "techies" but the code was Gilbert's.

Lee Hart

Joe Blackburn via Groups.Io wrote:
What was CHIP12? I've heard of CHIP-8, CHIP-8X, S/CHIP etc. but don't recall a CHIP-12 version.

--
In software development, there are two kinds of error: Conceptual
errors, implementation errors, and off-by-one errors. (anonymous)
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Joe Blackburn

Lee

Apparently CHIP-12 and its BASIC Compiler have been replaced by CHIP-16 and a newer BASIC Compiler which supports the Intel Numeric Coprocessors/
They both appear to be INTEL only.

Marc and his brother Gilbert developed this over a long period, based on the original CHIP-8 and Weisbecker's documentation.

They are intended as a more modern version for more modern hardware. It does not appear that an 1802 version is there.

Lee Hart

Joe Blackburn via Groups.Io wrote:
Lee

Apparently CHIP-12 and its BASIC Compiler have been replaced by CHIP-16
and a newer BASIC Compiler which supports the Intel Numeric Coprocessors/
They both appear to be INTEL only.

Marc and his brother Gilbert developed this over a long period, based on
the original CHIP-8 and Weisbecker's documentation.

They are intended as a more modern version for more modern hardware. It
does not appear that an 1802 version is there.
Thanks, Joe. I see... It would be hard to implement this on an 1802. First, the memory requirements are considerably more. Second, no 1802 system has that complex a video or sound system.

It looks like he used CHIP-8 as a starting point, and has morphed it into an entirely different language (like Tiny BASIC morphing into Visual BASIC).

--
In software development, there are two kinds of error: Conceptual
errors, implementation errors, and off-by-one errors. (anonymous)
--
Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

marcpic1802

Hello dear cosmacelf friends,
I just want to let everyone know that, No, I haven't 'moved on'.
My brother Gilbert and I are still very active with CHIP-12 and CHIP-12 BASIC Compiler. In fact, CHIP-12 is now much more powerful.
Gilbert has now upgraded his CHIP-12 to CHIP-16. I have also upgraded my CHIP-16 BASIC Compiler to reflect his upgrade.
We have put many hours in perfecting our programs. I have written a comprehensive manual with tutorials on how to install and use CHIP-16 and the BASIC Compiler.
Last week, I added assembly code to CHIP-16 to have an integrated debugger. I call it DBUG-16.
This summer (2019), I added to my CHIP-16 BASIC Compiler several floating-point functions for Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Square Root, Round Integer, Modulo, Cosine, Sine, Tangent, and Power.
Because I didn't know if people visited or were interested in the material I put on my marcpic.com website, last Dec (2018), I decided to close it.
I was surprised this morning when I came across these messages to see that some of you showed interest in CHIP-12.
Sorry it took me a while to check the messages here and find this out.
Therefore, I have made our CHIP-16 and CHIP-16 BASIC Compiler programs, demos and documents available again.
Here are the links: https://8zoj6843y65xkydmxmtiba-on.drv.tw/marcpic/
I also converted the long link with TinyURL.com: https://tinyurl.com/marcbertrand
I'm available to assist and help any one who would like to learn CHIP-16.
You may contact me through any of these:
marcpic1802@...
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012216906794

Best regards,
Marc

ajparent1/kb1gmx

Nice project but is there an 1802 version?  Those seem to be only for PCs.

Allision

marcpic1802

Edited

I just noticed that my email didn't come out right - it's marcpic1802 At gmail.com. The facebook link is OK.
I've been reading a few more posts in this thread regarding CHIP-16. I just want to set a few facts/things right.
I don't live in the USA. I'm not into politics. I'm retired now since 28 Oct 2014. Gilbert and I live in the Gatineau (Quebec) area.
Joe, you mention you sent Gilbert and I an email, but I assure you, I have never received it. I would have responded to you for sure.
***************UPDATE *****************
This afternoon, I was going through my Sent folder in my old Yahoo email account and guess what???
I did receive correspondence from Joe in July 2019 and I did respond to him.
My apologies for my 'brain fart' moments. I don't know how my memory is going to be in the future, but it sure sucks now!
******************************************************************************************************************************************
I'll have to ask Gil if he received it. It would be my pleasure to meet/correspond with you!
The only correspondence I received in the past are from the following of which I recall:
William Donnelly, Leslie Milburn, Juergen Pintaske, someone nicknamed Humanoido Humanoido and Bill Rowe of which Gil and I wanted to meet in person but we dropped the ball.
We will try to meet Bill again in the coming months if he's still interested.
Thanks,
Marc

marcpic1802

Hi Joe,
Regarding the broken links in the web archive dot org mentioned, if you (or anybody else for that matter) are interested in me putting the contents I used to have on my marcpic.com website and make any of my programs available for download, just let me know and I will make them available.
Here's the list of programs:
1802 Special Assembler
1802 Elf Simulator
CHIP-16 is now online, see message #25258 I posted earlier today.
Thanks,
Marc

Bob Kay

Thank you for making the files available, but I have a serious concern.  I downloaded what I expected to be "Chip16Files.zip" and "Chip_16_BASIC _Compiler_Install.zip" but actually received the files "158sQYjC22-ZcTpgkTCun2kw1b90KYgB1" and "1p5toa78I6fVb3Bmb4FSF4NJxvOzK80Ie".  Note there is no .zip (or any other) suffix.  Frankly I'm a little leery of opening them.  Could you explain the file names please?

On 11/15/2019 08:33 AM, marcpic13 via Groups.Io wrote:
My brother Gilbert and I are still very active with CHIP-12 and CHIP-12 BASIC Compiler. In fact, CHIP-12 is now much more powerful.
Gilbert has now upgraded his CHIP-12 to CHIP-16. I have also upgraded my CHIP-16 BASIC Compiler to reflect his upgrade.
We have put many hours in perfecting our programs. I have written a comprehensive manual with tutorials on how to install and use CHIP-16 and the BASIC Compiler.
Last week, I added assembly code to CHIP-16 to have an integrated debugger. I call it DBUG-16.
This summer (2019), I added to my CHIP-16 BASIC Compiler several floating-point functions for Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, Square Root, Round Integer, Modulo, Cosine, Sine, Tangent, and Power.
Because I didn't know if people visited or were interested in the material I put on my marcpic.com website, last Dec (2018), I decided to close it.
I was surprised this morning when I came across these messages to see that some of you showed interest in CHIP-12.
Therefore, I have made our CHIP-16 and CHIP-16 BASIC Compiler programs, demos and documents available again.
I also converted the long link with TinyURL.com: https://tinyurl.com/marcbertrand
marcpic1802@...

Best regards,
Marc

Jeff Truck <jeff.truck@...>

I have tried to go to that site twice.  The first time chrome blocked it for being suspicious.  

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 3:10 PM Bob Kay via Groups.Io <rekircher=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you for making the files available, but I have a serious concern.  I downloaded what I expected to be "Chip16Files.zip" and "Chip_16_BASIC _Compiler_Install.zip" but actually received the files "158sQYjC22-ZcTpgkTCun2kw1b90KYgB1" and "1p5toa78I6fVb3Bmb4FSF4NJxvOzK80Ie".  Note there is no .zip (or any other) suffix.  Frankly I'm a little leery of opening them.  Could you explain the file names please?

marcpic1802@...

Best regards,
Marc

Hans Liss

For what it's worth, I downloaded those files and a few others from that site, and they did indeed get strange names like that, but they had the correct extensions (is your operating system actually showing extensions?). I checked the files and they looked legitimate, as far as I could tell.

Berg regards,

Hans

On 2019-11-15 21:10, Bob Kay via Groups.Io wrote:

marcpic1802@...

Best regards,
Marc

marcpic1802

Edited

Hello,
Yes, when you download the files, my original filename has been renamed with a randomized name for that file.
Sorry for this. I learned a couple days ago how I can have a free website using Google Drive and using a web site service call DriveToWeb.
The process of setting all this up took me about 3 minutes! There are of course Pros and Cons in this.
The downside? An ugly web address. DriveToWeb creates a randomized, anonymous identifier for accessing your site (mine is “8zoj6843y65xkydmxmtiba”).
This protects you so visitors won’t see your account name, but makes sharing difficult. The only people who’ll see your site are the ones you directly share the URL with.
I assure everyone that it's not my intention to have malicious files!
I have downloaded the CHIP16Files.zip and this is what I got: 158sQYjC22-ZcTpgkTCun2kw1b90KYgB1.zip
When I extracted it, it showed the CHIP16Files folder, clicking on the folder showed the 4 files:
CHIP16.EXE, DBUG16.EXE, CHIP-16 Debugger Instructions.doc and NEW CHIP16 Inst_1.doc
What I think DriveToWeb service does is it takes my files from my Google Drive and creates a random name file to download.
I have made a note on my website to advise people about this.
Thanks for pointing this out and sorry for the confusion it has caused!
Marc

P.S.
This is to answer Jeff Truck's concern. This is only a guess - since there are 2 DOS executable (EXE) files in the zip file, maybe that's why Chrome is flagging it as being 'suspicious'

Hans Liss

There is a way you can make it a little less scary: Calculate checksums of the files before uploading (MD5, SHA-something) and post the checksums whenever you post links. Then anyone who downloads the files can verify the checksums.

Best regards,

Hans

On 2019-11-15 23:19, marcpic13 via Groups.Io wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello,
Yes, when you download the files, my original filename has been renamed with a randomized name for that file.
Sorry for this. I learned a couple days ago how I can have a free website using Google Drive and using a web site service call DriveToWeb.
The process of setting all this up took me about 3 minutes! There are of course Pros and Cons in this.
The downside? An ugly web address. DriveToWeb creates a randomized, anonymous identifier for accessing your site (mine is “8zoj6843y65xkydmxmtiba”).
This protects you so visitors won’t see your account name, but makes sharing difficult. The only people who’ll see your site are the ones you directly share the URL with.
I assure everyone that it's not my intention to have malicious files!
I have downloaded the CHIP16Files.zip and this is what I got: 158sQYjC22-ZcTpgkTCun2kw1b90KYgB1.zip
When I extracted it, it showed the CHIP16Files folder, clicking on the folder showed the 4 files:
CHIP16.EXE, DBUG16.EXE, CHIP-16 Debugger Instructions.doc and NEW CHIP16 Inst_1.doc
What I think DriveToWeb service does is it takes my files from my Google Drive and creates a random name file to download.
I have made a note on my website to advise people about this.
Thanks for pointing this out and sorry for the confusion it has caused!
Marc

P.S.
This is to answer Jeff Truck's concern. This is only a guess - since there are 2 DOS executable (EXE) files in the zip file, maybe that's why Chrome is flagging it as being 'suspicious'

marcpic1802

Hi Hans (and everyone),
I received an email yesterday from Hank Riley and he suggested I create a cosmacelf folder.
I started uploading my files to it this morning.
Thanks,
Marc 

Peter Renaud

It’s a small workd! I live in Gatineau as well! Secteur Touraine

From: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io> on behalf of marcpic1802 via Groups.Io <marcpic13@...>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2019 12:41:40 PM
To: cosmacelf@groups.io <cosmacelf@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] FW: New Interpreted Programming Language Called CHIP-12 and a BASIC Compiler for it

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: I have a very bad memory!]

I just noticed that my email didn't come out right - it's marcpic1802 At gmail.com. The facebook link is OK.
I've been reading a few more posts in this thread regarding CHIP-16. I just want to set a few facts/things right.
I don't live in the USA. I'm not into politics. I'm retired now since 28 Oct 2014. Gilbert and I live in the Gatineau (Quebec) area.
Joe, you mention you sent Gilbert and I an email, but I assure you, I have never received it. I would have responded to you for sure.
***************UPDATE *****************
This afternoon, I was going through my Sent folder in my old Yahoo email account and guess what???
I did receive correspondence from Joe in July 2019 and I did respond to him.
My apologies for my 'brain fart' moments. I don't know how my memory is going to be in the future, but it sure sucks now!
******************************************************************************************************************************************
I'll have to ask Gil if he received it. It would be my pleasure to meet/correspond with you!
The only correspondence I received in the past are from the following of which I recall:
William Donnelly, Leslie Milburn, Juergen Pintaske, someone nicknamed Humanoido Humanoido and Bill Rowe of which Gil and I wanted to meet in person but we dropped the ball.
We will try to meet Bill again in the coming months if he's still interested.
Thanks,
Marc