Topics

New member - introduction

Magnus Kesselmark

Shortly ....

I am Magnus (or unofficially Soundbrigade, due to my great interest in audio/HiFi), living in the land of small people (Sweden). I am an electronic engineer but are assembling fire vents at a very small company in the small and sh*tty town of Vänersborg not far from Gothenburg.

I got hooked on the 1802 when I saw the article about the PE Elf back in 1978 and at my job, we assembled a kit to use for training. later I bought a CPU fopr myself and had an operating Elf until 1998 when the basement was raided and everyuthing that looked valuable was stolen (my box with electronic components). The Elf-ideas were dropped and I have since spent a lot of time assembling speakers and tube amplifiers (www.pastisch.se). But just a few weeks ago I ordered a CDP1802, a 2K RAM and an 82C55 in order to once again be back in the Cosmac swamps, just to discover that I propably ditched my old 1802 ´books recently as I didn't think I would never have another go ...

Back then I had planned to have the Elf to control a model railway layout, but the railway stuff was stolen together with the electronics. Today I just want to learn how to fly the 1802 and possible have it hooked up to some synthesizers and music instruments I am about to build.

... and I just found the 'Programmer's Guide To The 1802 (With an assembler for your machine)' by Tom Swan. Also I will get the EFA-books (Electronics For All, but in Swedish) from our library and "rip" (electronically) the chapters on the version of Elf appearing in the books.

/Magnus

Chris <ctwardell@...>

Magnus,

Welcome to group!

Chris Wardell

--- In cosmacelf@..., "Magnus" <tubes@...> wrote:

[...]

On 6/19/2010 4:33 AM, Magnus wrote:
I am Magnus... I got hooked on the 1802 when I saw the article about
the PE Elf back in 1978... just a few weeks ago I ordered a CDP1802,
a 2K RAM and an 82C55 in order to once again be back in the Cosmac
swamps...
Welcome, Magnus! Good to have you with us.

Today I just want to learn how to fly the 1802 and
possible have it hooked up to some synthesizers and music
instruments I am about to build.
There was a recent post with links to music made with the 1802, using a VIP with sound board. Pretty impressive for the time!

Winston Lowe <wel97459@...>

Welcome to the group.
About 6 mouth ago I had the 1802 fever and made this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8tfA6or4A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-C9o1XCpck

It take about 1 mouth to make my own eeprom programmer
And then about 1 mouth to figure out all the logic I need for the conversion of a RCA studio ii to Cosmac elf/vip
And then i made my own assembler in PHP for the fun of it. and then with my own ASM language I made a OS.

Anyway have fun and enjoy.
Winston
KJ6ICA

[...]

I will eventually check out the ELF-site properly to grasp some additional info and brush up my Cosmacian. Howvere I have too many tube amp projects going on and just got an inquiry about sewing four corset for a dance troup dancing som Peruvian dance.
Next I will wire something simple and get started. The 1802 isn't really difficult to learn to program, a bit odd, but not difficult.
I will not go for the VIP but like to interface an alphanumeric display instead.

Hope to see more of you and hope to get some stuff ready soon ...

/Magnus