Re: ELF Membership card program assembly and transfer using a TI 99/4A computer

Stephen Cass

The article does say that TI's original sin here was trying to copy the earlier TTL architecture :)

"So for TI, selecting a chip architecture for the 16-bit microprocessor was straightforward. TI had a strategy of “one company, one computer architecture,” which aimed to exploit any synergies among the company’s disparate divisions. TI’s Data Systems Division had already launched a family of TTL-based minicomputers for use in Ramada Inns across the United States. So the TMS9900 would use a chip architecture very similar to that of the TI minicomputer."

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM ajparent1/kb1gmx <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
What both articles missed completely is TI had a computer division that had
a TTL machine the TI990.   Guess what the 9900 copies?

TI somewhere figured that the 990 software base alone was enough to
support the 9900, save for one thing, they didn't advertise or much else.
So not much happened was despite corporate and what did happen
was mostly in response to corporate glaciation.

What I remember of those years was TI loosing the recipe for 74138 and
some of the Tristate TTL (367, 244, 245 and others) parts that were a big
factor to many companies getting product out the door.  The shortage was
so acute the nominal 60 cent 74367 or 74244 would go for as much as
4.50$ in small lots.

back when I was bleedign edge and crasy:
I have a Technico Superstarter system running at the typical 2mhz of the CPU
and its full 16bit wide.  Runs fast compared to the 99/4A.  The system has
monitor and a decent assembler in EPROM and the assembler is very fast.
the instructing set is remarkable in its CISC and has a few unique features
not seen in many micros.

Allison