Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: [cosmacelf] Alternatives to TIL311 type LED hex displays

When I went shopping for TIL311's for my ELF projects, I found sellers like Jameco that wanted neatly $30 each, and numerous surplus sellers that were selling both used and NOS TIL311 parts for just a few $ each. Unless your budget is really small, there should be no issue getting these. I bought some NOS ones about 5 months ago that I recall cost me about $4 each; although the seller tacked on a shipping charge that was more than really necessary.

Paul

#1 Use a small 8-bit micro (20 pins or so) to read an 8-bit bus and drive two 7 segment LEDs. These types of micros can be had for ~$1 and proved two hex digits of display.

#2 Use something like the MAX6955 and a small 8-bit micro to form a display/keypad peripheral. You could use up 16 segment displays and get an alphanumeric display this way with a keypad decoder built in. Maybe sort of a demi-terminal?

Of the two #1 would be a near direct replacement for two TIL311 type displays used on ELF type builds. Thus far I have not seen anything like this being made, have I missed it?

Jeff Birt

Paul Schmidt
ocleide@...

Virusfritt. www.avast.com