Re: RCA Engineer mag Vol 22 1977 Feb/Mar issue

Mark Moulding

There are programmable music boxes that use paper tape, and come with a special punch; my wife received one a a gift, and it's pretty neat.  They're also not too expensive - around $30 for a 30 note (think 30-bit wide paper tape), or around $15 for a 15-"bit" device.  Keep in mind that this includes the player mechanism (hand-cranked) also.  The paper tapes are available separately, but I wasn't able to find the punches alone.

There are many available on Amazon:  Here's a 30-bit unit, and here's a 15-bit one.  Those bit widths are just a little shy of ideal, but you could sure get some robust error-correcting code in there if you wanted to...
~~

Mark Moulding