Re: Intersil approval

Stephen Cass

Congratulations! A real victory that will make technology historians happy!

S.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 7:20 PM Dave Ruske <dave@...> wrote:
Fantastic! I’ll add that to the FAQ. The gates are open!

Thanks for chasing this down!

Dave

On Aug 22, 2019, at 2:58 PM, cellarcat <petelco@...> wrote:

Dave, good news! I am attaching my emails back and forth with Renesas and you will note from the last email that their legal department has given us permission to post any and all Cosmac related documents provided we post the entire document including the page showing the copyright. If you are OK with this then I will upload the VIP Games manuals.

--- Please reply above this line ---

Support Ticket Updated
The following Renesas support ticket was updated. After you sign in with MyRenesas account on the Support Portal, you can view the ticket in "TICKET" menu. You can also add questions with the "New Comment" button.
Please use "SUBMMIT A TICKET" for a new question.

Renesas Support Portal (English): https://en-support.renesas.com

Ticket Number: 206031
Date Created: 8/21/2019 11:00 AM
Topic: Copyright with respect to vintage RCA publications

If you would like to add additional information to this ticket, simply reply to this email. To ensure proper delivery, include the ticket number in brackets in the subject line.

Ticket History

Response
Peter:
I just received the following from our Legal dept.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
They can go ahead and post as long as they include the whole document including the original copyright notices for the document(s).
+++++++++++++++++++

Jerome J
  8/22/2019 2:54 PM
Response
Peter:
Most engineers today know nothing about the 1802.
I will update you when I get a response from our legal department.

Jerome J
  8/22/2019 2:34 PM
Email
Action added via e-mail. Sender: petelco@...

Hi, Jerome! The 1802 is the granddaddy of 8 bit cpu's and certainly the CMOS variety. Our group is trying to resurrect as much as possible of the RCA Cosmac literature and hardware. Most of us are running at least one 1802 computer and some like myself have several including, of course, the Elf and the VIP. My current project is building a Microboard disk development system similar to the MS2000. I have the bare boards and am now trying to populate them. It is not easy finding the CDP18xx series of chips though. I really hope your legal department has some interest in the history of this wonderful CPU. I am a lawyer myself so I know how dry lawyers can be!! Anyway I can’t see that this is any sort of money maker for Renesas and what our group is doing is. I think. important.

On Aug 21, 2019, at 1:05 PM, global@... wrote:

  8/21/2019 8:57 PM
Response
Peter:
I am checking with our legal department to find out how this is handled.
I will update you when I get a response.
Yeah, the 1802, used that in a portable instrument back in about 1976.
Jerome J
  8/21/2019 2:02 PM
Description
Ticket created via e-mail (To line). Sender: ashlie.kincannon.xh@...

Nice website but not very helpful for general inquiries. I have a question regarding copyright with respect to vintage RCA publications. My understanding is that Intersil owns them. I represent the Cosmac Elf users group which is devoted to RCA's vintage CMOS processors, the 1802, 4, 5, and 6. Our goal is to preserve the historical record of these groundbreaking CMOS processors. We would like to make the related publications available on our group site, http://www.cosmacelf.com,  but have no desire to breach your copyright. Please advise who we should be talking to because I cannot find anything on your website which would lead me in the right direction. I set up a Renesas account in my own name but that doesn't go anywhere either! Any help would be appreciated.

*Reporter*: Peter Cole

*E-mail*: [mailto:petelco@...]

  8/21/2019 11:00 AM

Copyright © 2019 Renesas Electronics Corporation. All rights reserved.
Renesas does not rent, sell, or lease customer information. Please see
our privacy policy for additional details.