Re: Voyager 1 #History #Space

Stephen Cass

If you’re looking for the definitive text on the development and design of the Voyager computers, this chapter from a NASA History office publication is the thing:

In a nutshell, there are multiple custom-built computers, made from discrete ICs and other components rather than using microprocessors

On Jul 13, 2019, at 11:58 AM, Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8@...> wrote:

Hello!
I happen to know that micros such as the CDP1802 didn't start making a
difference in our satellites until about the time of the Pioneer Venus
mission. There they used a version of the Intel 4004 (or 4040) one.
Voyager was designed when the companies who make such devices were
still looking at bipolar logic and even bit-slice systems.

And fabricating chips who will survive space outside of the Belts
happens to be difficult but not impossible. The two named Voyager and
oddly enough both named Pioneer who left our space before them were
built that way. And are largely still going strong.

The Galileo was indeed built around a batch of CDP1802 ones. That's been proven.

The others working in the same region may have also been built that
way, but the facts are not in yet.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@...

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:26 AM Steve Gemeny <steve@...> wrote:

Randy,

Your post seems confusing to me.

By first saying “No” it feels like you are disagreeing with the position of someone,  but what follows seems to support the stated position that Voyager had no 1802s aboard. It also seems to me you could be being somewhat dismissive of the research that was conducted.

Care to clearing...?

Steve

Sent by my fat thumbs drifting aimlessly  across tiny soft I Keys...

On Jul 13, 2019, at 8:58 AM, megaslug1 <rer@...> wrote:

No, some people on this group did some research. Plus space qualified hardware takes years to prove out, something that wouldn’t have been possible with the brand new 1802. And it’s hard to argue they didn’t get things right with Voyager, seeing as how they are still working long past their expected life span.

    —Randy