Re: HEX Keypad #Homebrew

John

P.S. Tim I'm very impressed. You have a small fortune's worth of TIL311s there at today's prices. Or yesterday's prices, for that matter.

I wish I could focus on one thing. I'm building an Elf, a Mini Scamp and I have an RC2014 (Z80) demanding expansion!

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 12:38, John via Groups.Io <easydogxray=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mark, did you mean the key layout in the advertisement (with the L-shaped Enter key above)? I thought that was strange too.

The 0 to F square arrangement of Tim's keypad is totally logical to my mind. I used this layout for my PIC-based MK14 replica. I could never understand why anyone would use the telephone keypad arrangement of 0 to 9 then strew the A to F around the edge, not in the hexadecimal world.

John, Nottingham

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 12:05, Timothy Stoddard <tim@...> wrote:
Layout is actually old-school... it's the layout used from all of the early variations of the 'COSMAC ELF'. Neutronics, Quest, Popular Electronics article all used this layout and is simply based on the encoder chip used: 74C922/3.
--
Tim Stoddard
"Life with technology: It's a roller coaster ride!"