Yarc...

Chris Murphy <lists@...>

The printers are beginning to show their age and we are waiting to see what
Epson's next line of printers has to offer.
Make sure to stay away from the ones that use Epson's pigmented ink. They
won't be suitable for proofing.

Has anyone got any 'real world' experience with Yarc's http://www.yarc.com
line of products? It's a name I've heard on and off again... but I haven't
had the opportunity to work with the equipment.
Yarc has a free RIP for the Epson 3000. You might check it out and give
their sales department a call to see if it's fair to draw any conclusions
between the free RIP and the interface of their full blown RIP solution.
They have a RIP box that runs on Linux with a separate card that does
RIP. It sounds great because it will drive multiple printers using just a
single box which is something that BESTColor can't say. BESTColor on NT
seems to have more of a reputation, perhaps they just have better
marketing than Yarc. Yarc doesn't seem to market a whole lot. Both
products will allow you to specific a press and inkjet ICC profile so the
inkjet will produce color accurate proofs.

On Mac OS there are a couple of RIPs for proofing worth considering.
Compose has a Harlequin RIP that will produce proofs. I have this RIP but
my computer isn't high enough performance (292Mhz G3) and it's really
slow to get proofs out, so I haven't had an opportunity to really
evaluate how good it's color reproduction is.

Also worth considering (although I don't know how high performance the
RIP is) is DeskCheck from Aurelon. It does quite an amazing job of
producing color accurate proofs on inkjets (I would consider them near
contract quality out of the box when making no profiles; and contract
quality if you do make profiles). While this product will use ICC
profiles, it revolves around a proprietary spectral profile technology.

The only other company I'm aware of that uses spectral based profiles for
proofing is See Color. They also have a product for proofing, but I
haven't used it. From those who have used it, I hear they are quite
pleased.

Needless to say there are some options.

Chris Murphy

Angus Pady <angus@...>

Also worth considering (although I don't know how high performance the
RIP is) is DeskCheck from Aurelon. It does quite an amazing job of
producing color accurate proofs on inkjets (I would consider them near
contract quality out of the box when making no profiles; and contract
quality if you do make profiles). While this product will use ICC
profiles, it revolves around a proprietary spectral profile technology

I understand that Aurelon is closing it's doors. I know a guy that knows a guy that works there and hasn't been paid in months. The investor from Europe is pulling the plug....

I have been trying the BESTColor Designer Edition, it runs on a mac. Still fairly new but looks promising. Also, Imation has been toying with a Mac based rip but is slow to get out of the gates.

Angus