Topics

Where to from here?

Kevin Crosado

Seems there won’t be much left of Yahoo Groups in less than a month:

<https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true>;

_______________

Kevin Crosado
De Selby Research

Dan Margulis

Kevin Crosado writes,

Seems there won’t be much left of Yahoo Groups in less than a month:

<https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true>

Holy cow, this is news to me. This group apparently has five days to live!

I guess the temporary response is to make more use of moderncolorworkflow.com, but other ideas are welcome. I expect there would be considerable opposition to Facebook, and in view of the lessened traffic in this group in recent years there’s no justification for some new ambitious step.

More when I get a chance to think about it, but any more ideas?

Dan Margulis

George Machen

Take a look at this. I haven't used it, and I can't immediately find real-world examples of forum websites using it (but they also offer full website creation, and I've found real-world examples of them, and they look good, for whatever that's worth), but it seems to be a web app (completely server-side, so no forum app running on the forum owner's computer), and it's free (but with only 500 MB user storage) or $12.80/month with 5 GB user storage, and supposedly the sysop can get it up and running in less than an hour with easy step-by-step guided setup.

john c.

Other Yahoo groups that saw this coming have easily migrated to this service which I heard was started by the guy who originally created Yahoo groups:

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: [COLORTHEORY] Where to from here?

Kevin Crosado writes,

Seems there won’t be much left of Yahoo Groups in less than a month:

<https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true>

Holy cow, this is news to me. This group apparently has five days to live!

I guess the temporary response is to make more use of moderncolorworkflow.com, but other ideas are welcome. I expect there would be considerable opposition to Facebook, and in view of the lessened traffic in this group in recent years there’s no justification for some new ambitious step.

More when I get a chance to think about it, but any more ideas?

Dan Margulis

john c.

Other Yahoo groups that saw this coming have easily migrated to this service which I heard was started by the guy who originally created Yahoo groups:

John Castronovo
(forgot to sign it the first time Dan)

Seems there won’t be much left of Yahoo Groups in less than a month:

<
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true>

Holy cow, this is news to me. This group apparently has five days to live!

I guess the temporary response is to make more use of moderncolorworkflow.com, but other ideas are welcome. I expect there would be considerable opposition to Facebook, and in view of the lessened traffic in this group in recent years there’s no justification for some new ambitious step.

More when I get a chance to think about it, but any more ideas?

Dan Margulis

Henry Davis

Please, not FB.

On Oct 16, 2019, at 6:03 AM, dmargulis DMargulis@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

I expect there would be considerable opposition to Facebook,

Don Schaefer

Said Nuseibeh

Dan wrote:

any more ideas?

Another group to which I subscribe (the BetterLight forum)
recently had this to say and do:

In looking around the internet for ways to "fix the search" I found a note about Groups.io.  It was started by the same person that developed the software that eventually became Yahoo Groups...so I'm expecting the operation will be similar without all of the obstacles and with better support.

It's been operating well in the last 3 months since we switched.

Best,
-Said

Dan,

I don’t have experience running a group from this site but I’ve read good things about it and I believe it was also recommended on this list some time ago when there was a discussion about alternatives to Yahoo groups:

They offer a method for transferring a Yahoo group to their site:

There is a free option for hosting a discussion group plus a premium option ($110/year) and an enterprise option (probably excessive for the needs of this group). If having this group continue means kicking in a contribution to make it happen, I’m in. I’d hate to see the list disappear despite the fact that it isn’t as active as it once was.

Here’s the page that compares the three pricing plans:

—Tom Fritz

Kevin Crosado writes,

Nick Dunmur <nickdunmur@...>

On 16 Oct 2019, at 13:49, 'John Castronovo' jc@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

Other Yahoo groups that saw this coming have easily migrated to this service which I heard was started by the guy who originally created Yahoo groups:

I can thoroughly recommend the Groups.io platform. Several groups I’m in, which started on Yahoo, have moved easily to the groups.io platform and Mark Fletcher whose ‘baby’ it is, is very responsive in feedback, development and so on.

hth

kind regards

Nick
___

dUNMUR | member of the AOP

Jono Moore

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 03:08, dmargulis DMargulis@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

Holy cow, this is news to me. This group apparently has five days to live!

Five days until you can't upload content. Sounds like the groups will still be working. December 14 for armageddon. ;)

---
Jono Moore

Hector Davila

But, doesn't it read about UPLOAD content only: On October 21st, you will no longer be able to upload any content to the site.

Hector Davila

Stephen Ramirez

I was curious about this too. It seems the only thing lost is the ability to upload content in October or continue to store uploaded content as of December. Would there be a way to keep the email component but store and upload content somewhere else or is that too clunky a fix?

Stephen Ramirez

On Oct 16, 2019, at 10:03 AM, Hector_APR amerphoto@ix.netcom.com [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

But, doesn't it read about UPLOAD content only: On October 21st, you
will no longer be able to upload any content to the site.

Hector Davila

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Dan Margulis

Jono writes,

Five days until you can't upload content. Sounds like the groups will still be working. December 14 for armageddon. ;)

Not as I read it. It says that “conversations” will end in five days. A “conversation” in their language is what we are having right here. Also it says there will be no searching message history, and there will no longer be a daily digest for those who prefer getting that rather than individual messages.

I will have a look at some of the suggestions made here, much appreciated.

Dan Margulis

Hector Davila

Conversation is a feature for those who read on the Yahoo Groups website, not the emails that it sends like I receive like this one.

Hector Davila

On 10/16/2019 12:02 PM, dmargulis DMargulis@... [COLORTHEORY] wrote:
Not as I read it. It says that conversations will end in five days. A conversation in their language is what we are having right here. Also it says there will be no searching message history, and there will no longer be a daily digest for those who prefer getting that rather than individual messages.

I will have a look at some of the suggestions made here, much appreciated.

Dan Margulis

Jeff Smith

I’d highly recommend groups.io - several yahoo groups I participate in have made the move. Its as painless as it gets for both members and administrators. Great service.

Jeff Smith
1124 Berry Way
Lummi Island, WA 98262

cel: 206-579-3233

Tony Kuyper

Will I be able to use Yahoo Groups going forward?

You'll still be able to communicate with your groups via email and search for private groups on the site. In addition, admins will continue to have limited access to group settings and administration tools.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 1:03:55 PM PDT, dmargulis DMargulis@... [COLORTHEORY] wrote:

Jono writes,

Five days until you can't upload content. Sounds like the groups will still be working. December 14 for armageddon. ;)

Not as I read it. It says that “conversations” will end in five days. A “conversation” in their language is what we are having right here. Also it says there will be no searching message history, and there will no longer be a daily digest for those who prefer getting that rather than individual messages.

I will have a look at some of the suggestions made here, much appreciated.

Dan Margulis

Diana Kassir

Dan:

I'm active on several facebook groups. It's very convenient (can also be set to private if needed)
and I set it so I get NOTIFICATIONS when there is a post to a group that I'm following.

Why would you think that there is opposition?

Stephen Ramirez

There was a lot of discussion here several years ago about moving to Facebook and if I remember correctly it was not a popular concept at the time. I may be in the minority here but personally want absolutely nothing to do with Facebook for a myriad of reasons.

Hoping we can preserve this resource but ultimately have no control over how it is achieved. I trust that Dan will make what he feels is the best decision on how to move forward.

Stephen Ramirez

On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:16 PM, dkassir2001@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

Dan:

I'm active on several facebook groups. It's very convenient (can also be set to private if needed)
and I set it so I get NOTIFICATIONS when there is a post to a group that I'm following.

Why would you think that there is opposition?

Ronny Light

I was on Facebook three times and got off for the last time. I won’t use Facebook again, even if it means not getting any Colortheory posts. I talk to a lot of people who ditched Facebook and won’t go back. I also don’t use Twitter.

Ronny

www.RonnyLightPhoto.com

5010 B Wilkerson Dr., Nashville, TN 37211