Topics

Update on list status

Dan Margulis

This is an attempt to inform the group of our plans to migrate to a different host, namely the one suggested by many of you, groups.io. I have already opened a new group there, colortheory@groups.io, and had been hoping that the transition would be as smooth as they advertise.

Unfortunately yahoo groups functionality appears to be unraveling, or possibly it’s due to increased traffic as people want to pull their content off before it goes away. At any rate since this past weekend certain messages have gone through but others, including mine, have not made it or have been subject to big delays. That’s why I’m sending this as a Special Notice, a format I’ve never used before, hoping that it will get through to everyone.

The automated procedure to migrate to iogroups requires that I invite them to be a member, they accept, I make them a group moderator, and they then proceed to pull all of our content and membership. Alas, I don’t think yahoogroups is forwarding my invitation as it should.

Perhaps things will straighten out in the next day or two. Worst case, we could pull our content and reload it manually. I think one or more members may have already downloaded everything and if so it would be helpful to know that it’s available. The big problem if the automated procedure doesn’t work is getting the membership list over. There isn’t an easy way to do this. Yahoogroups and I presume iogroups as well don’t allow us to just add names to the list. Rightly so, it would be an invitation to all kinds of spammers. So we all may have to resubscribe manually.

I will keep you posted as best as possible. If this message doesn’t go through, I’ll start posting updates at http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/blog as previously planned.

Thanks to all for your patience and support during this difficult transition.

Dan Margulis

slc41

Dan,

I’ve just moved two groups from Yahoo to Groups.io. We didn’t need to move content, just members. To transfer your members, you export your member list from Yahoo into a .csv file, massage the file into a specific format and export it into a plaintext file, then use the Groups.io feature Direct Add to add the addresses in the plaintext file into your group’s members. Details can be found at https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Direct-Add-From-Yahoo .

It worked well for us. I do suggest you immediately export the member list so you have it no matter what Yahoo does, then worry about whether and how you are going to use it.

  - susan

On Oct 30, 2019, at 9:52 PM, DMargulis@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

[...]

I forgot to say, there is a product called I believe PG Offline which pulls content from Yahoo.

- susan

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 10:12 PM DMargulis@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Colby

Roy Harrington managed to move the Quadtone RIP Group relatively painlessly to groups.io and land it with archived off messages from the yahoo group. You can always reach out to Roy Harrington for feedback/suggestions.

Michael Colby

there is a way to move the content too.  Roy Harrington was able to not only move users but move all the posts from the yahoo group, archived off, to the Groups.IO group.

ew

https://www.google.com/search?q=PG+Offline&;ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

http://www.personalgroupware.com/pgo-4-photo-index.htm

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Offline-Browsers/PG-Offline.shtml

Yahoo groups closing Dec 14th | WordPress.org
https://wordpress.org support topic

Oct 19, 2019 - If you want to backup the posts, photos & files from this group you can use a program called PG
Offline. It has a 14 day free trial which will give ...

other lists recommended it also

Subject: Re: [COLORTHEORY] Update on list status
From: "Susan Chapin slchapin41@gmail.com [COLORTHEORY]" <COLORTHEORY@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, October 30, 2019 9:45 pm
To: COLORTHEORY@yahoogroups.com
plain text | Whitelist >Sender

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 10:12 PM DMargulis@aol...com [COLORTHEORY] <
COLORTHEORY@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

George Machen

As I write, there are 28 members on our new groups.io/g/colortheory board, including myself. It just occurred to me that if our yahoo members list is going to get imported into groups.io/g/colortheory, then maybe nobody should directly sign-up there (and those who already have should delete themselves), on pain of duplications or other contentions upon the big import. Perhaps Dan or someone authoritative with groups.io should advise here.

--
George Machen

Dan Margulis

George Machen writes,

As I write, there are 28 members on our new groups.io/g/colortheory board, including myself. It just occurred to me that if our yahoo members list is going to get imported into groups.io/g/colortheory, then maybe nobody should directly sign-up there (and those who already have should delete themselves), on pain of duplications or other contentions upon the big import. Perhaps Dan or someone authoritative with groups.io should advise here.

Well, we are in a state of flux. Certain ambitious individuals have gotten the other list going, messages are already being posted. Meanwhile there is now some hope that there will be an automated transfer of content will actually take place, groups.io has confirmed that the process has begun.

As to the question of whether to sign up now to the other list or wait, I doubt it’s a big issue either way. I would say, though, that posts to our existing yahoogroups list (this one you are reading) should be limited to the transition process, and that posts about color should go to the new list. Bad idea to have competing threads going.

I would request that people who sign up there use their full name in their profile. We don’t like anonymous posting (even by people who post a lot) and if the name is there the problem goes away.

Now, two pieces of news.

In case we have to restore the new list manually because groups.io can’t do it for some reason, we need the old content. We have the membership list. If anybody here has downloaded any or all of 1) the message archive; 2) the Files section; 3) the Photos section and is willing to share it with me, this would save me the trouble of harvesting it myself.

On a happier note, we are all delighted to announce that Gerald Bakker has joined our moderation team. He is a very serious student of the field, as shown on his site, geraldbakker.nl. We hope that his presence will inspire us all to get good things going on the new list. It has certain capabilities that yahoogroups did not and we hope to take advantage of them.

Gerald’s presence emphasize the international nature of our group. He is from the Netherlands, giving us a moderation team from Europe, Australia (Stephen Marsh), western Canada (Darren Bernaerdt), and me representing what remains of the United States.

More updates as the information becomes available.

Dan Margulis