Topaz Gigapixel AI anyone using it.

John M. Henry

Ok I have customers who do not want to pay for my skills or basically anything. I have taught my people (not high designers)  to  use Photolemur and On1 for quick results or the Panel. Hell I loved scanprep pro in the day of the quadra 840av and photoshop 3 to automate.

Anyone tried this program my friend is using.  This not high end but I get basically customers who want to pay for meatball color work not prime steak.  If I can automate and give them above ave results it’s a win as most can’t even do that.

Here is his post , sample below

Has anyone tried Topaz Gigapixel AI?  I installed the trial version a few weeks ago and so far it seems like one of the most useful little $100 apps I've seen.  We've created 100's of graduation signs over the past couple weeks and a lot of the photos were really low rez.  This does an amazing job of recoving a lot of them.  Even some low rez line art cleans up. Not trying to advertise this, but it's not often that I find a product that does better than what Photoshop can do.  Here's an photo I just used on a grad sign (after/before).  Major difference. It's hard to believe the detail it pulls out of hair when it's not really there. Same with eyes and mouth. Just thought I'd share.

John M. Henry

Speedway Press Mitchell Printing & Mailing Inc. The Phoenix Press

1 Burkle Street

Oswego NY 13126

315-343-3531

Kenneth Harris

Gigapixel does Ok on the shots you'd expect it to do Ok on, camera phone shots.   I used it successfully res'ing up low-res drone shots of surfers.  It can do strange things, so you should check what it's done at 1:1.  It does not perform miracles on 200x100px thumbs and it doesn't deal with jpeging artifacts well.  It's a bit better than PS "preserve details" enlargement, but much slower.

Ken Harris

David Dewhurst

I've been using Topaz Gigapixel for a month and I have been blown away with what it can do. Turning tiny 72dpi images into very usable large 300dpi images for a historical book I'm writing. Definitely worth the $79 I paid for it.

David Dewhurst
Dewhurst Photography
64 Westbrook Lane
Phillips Ranch, CA 91766 USA
(909) 319-9570
www.dewhurstphoto.com

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 3:07 PM John M. Henry <John@...> wrote:

[...]

Frederick Yocum

I use it to rescue low resolution photographs, usually taken with older mobile phones. It can deliver amazing results. When it isn’t amazing, it is usually because the high resolution version looks a little plasticy. Is it worth the price. If you need increase the resolution of images frequently, yes, yes, it is.

regards,

Frederick Yocum
frederick@...

Mobile: +1 717 341 2226
Skype: frederickyocum
Twitter: @frederickyocum
Website:frederickyocum.com

On May 19, 2020, at 6:07 PM, John M. Henry <John@...> wrote:

[...]

<image001.png>

Beat C

I have once tried Topaz Gigapixel for blowing up a 10 Mb image to about 4 times it’s size (so 2 times as wide and 2 times as high).
I compared to PS enlargement algorithms. The Gigapixel result seemed better, until I discovered that it sharpens as well. The PS mode ‘Keep details’ does that as well, but less.
I eventually used the PS enlargement, as I had to do a lot of processing after the enlargement (complicated image from 3 images and lots of blends and processing), so I didn’t want to start off with sharpening in the beginning.
To really compare Gigapixel and PS enlargement, the sharpening should be the same. I have the idea, that starting with a good medium to big sized image (I have no experience with small images), the PS algorithm performs not much worse than the Gigapixel. And I think the Topaz products are rather expensive and not very user friendly.

Beat Cornaz