From: colortheory@groups.io <colortheory@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Margulis via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 2:44 PM
To: colortheory@groups.io
Subject: [colortheory] The group's future

It’s been almost a year since our group moved here from yahoogroups. And a good thing, too: yahoogroups has announced that it is shutting down completely effective 16 December.

Now is therefore the appropriate time to ask whether our group still serves a useful purpose and ought to continue. Our group dates from before the turn of the century. The world has changed, and with it the way we communicate. At the moment, we also have enough other things on our mind. I certainly have a tough time working up the enthusiasm to talk about color right now. Also, our group is usually well-equipped for a work-at-home career, and I know that some have a lot of business in this time of pandemic. Others, however, are in sad straits. So are many other members who are not graphics professionals per se.

Anyhow, in about ten days I have to decide whether to shell out the $$ to keep the group running as at present for another year. We also have the option of downgrading to a free plan, which has a few unpleasant features, the worst of which is a hard 1gb limit on all stored materials. Now, after our case studies, we’re at 2.5 gb. Our current paid plan allows 20 gb, so we don’t have to worry about space, but if we shift to the free plan much of our archived material will have to go.

If anyone wants to see the actual rules, they’re at https://groups.io/static/pricing

We’re now 21 years old. That’s the legal age for drinking in my country. We’ve accomplished a lot in that time. Perhaps it’s time to call it quits. What say you?

Can Trump Pardon Himself? Barrett Says She Can't Answer
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5f8773008826272ff73bast02duc1
Woman Made 2nd Hoax Call About Black Birdwatcher
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5f877300a8bb472ff73bast02duc2
End of Jeopardy! Match Even Stuns Alex Trebek
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5f877300c938a72ff73bast02duc3

James Gray

I would like to see the group continue and would pay for that privilege.

James Gray

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 3:44 PM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dan

clegel

Many cloud services (Drive, iCloud, Dropbox) offer up to 5G of free space. It might be a little more work, but files could be stored there and referenced in the group. This is how I share images back and forth with my students lately.

Prof Legel

[...]

Roberto Tartaglione

We can’t stop it now! I absolutely will donate for the group.

--
Roberto

Da: Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis@...>
Rispondi: colortheory@groups.io <colortheory@groups.io>
Data: 14 ottobre 2020 at 23:44:28
A: colortheory@groups.io <colortheory@groups.io>
Oggetto:  [colortheory] The group's future

[...]

Dan Derousie

Me too.

Dan Derousie

[...]

bill bane

Dan,

You have earned the right to relax and do other things. Were it not for that consideration I would be even more strong in expressing my preference for this site continuing. At the end, you are, pardon the parallel, the beginning and end, and without you I doubt the site would or perhaps even should continue.

I am quite late to this site and your concepts, and remain a pimple on the face of knowledge often read and learned from on this site. Hence, almost every time there is an exchange on this site, I learn, which is my main goal in my "golden years."

So, while I think that you should make the decision I whatever way you wish, I do not think  -- if it is continued -- you should be burdened by the cost of running the site. I for one would be more than willing to send $$ via paypal, or via some other method, to help finance the site's continuation. Probably I am luckier than some so I would be more than willing to contribute a disproportionate share. (Am not Daddy Warbucks, however 😊).

Perhaps someone could table a proposal? I could imagine participants initially indicating, perhaps by a vote, if they are keen to continue. Then, divide the annual cost to run the site by that number, double the $$ for contingencies and weak knees, and make a specific request?

Unrelated to the money and unrelated to your interests, running a site involves quite a few "administrative" tasks. So, perhaps you could offload some of the admin stuff to someone who is interested in continuing and helping. You and I both know how little I know, specifically and generally, but I would be hypocritical not to offer such administrative assistance myself if that could be made to work. My sense is that there are many of your long standing colleagues who might be better/best for such a role, however.

My first email exchange with you of some years ago was to comment that I had read hundreds of books on post processing and I said your two books were to these hundreds of books as lightening is to lightning bugs. Still believe that.

Coming full circle, if you are completely burned out explaining this and that to the unending supply of uninformed post processors, you can and should raise your victory flag signaling the "finish line". If that is the case, you can be certain that I will be forever in your debt for your wonderful insights, colorful personality, dogged explanations and analysis, and sparkling writing style.

These are my two cents on the matter.

Bill

PS. Perhaps a toss at humor. Someone once said that an organization of people, and perhaps even people individually, cannot exist without an "objective". And when, or if, the objective is no longer relevant or has been achieved, that organization/person tends to die. That same "someone" told me that the Catholic Church may be the oldest continuing organization ever, and he explained that in terms of their objective: "saving people's souls", which is an unending project and an objective that could never be achieved. I have some 400,000 (bad) images in my Lightroom catalog, and my remaining life's objective is to make them "good." 🖖

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 4:44 PM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Frederick Yocum

Dan

I have certainly found the group valuable. I note there is a donate option with the plan? Why not open it up for members to defray the financial cost?

regards,
Frederick Yocum

On Oct 14, 2020, at 17:44, Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jim Sanderson

I’m with James Gray on this.

Jim Sanderson

Sent from my iPhone, with purpose and great thought.

On Oct 14, 2020, at 5:22 PM, Frederick Yocum <frederick@...> wrote:

[...]

Edward Troy

There seems to be unusual unanimity. It’s your call, of course. It appears as though everyone will be happy to see you continue and more than happy to defray the expense.

Ed

On Oct 14, 2020, at 2:44 PM, Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

2611477
Group Owner: colortheory+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

john c.

I like the idea of using the free plan and keeping the archive on another free site where it can be referenced to from here.

John Castronovo

[...]

Neil Schaffel

I would gladly subscribe for a fee

Felix Alfaro

On 10/14/2020 3:29 PM, bill bane wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much for all you have done for me and the group.   Would be honored to contribute.

Felix Alfaro

Massimo Calvani

Hi Dan and everybody else there,
I do think the group should continue and if needed I am willing to contribute.

Thanks
Massimo Calvani
--
💫

Davide Barranca

Dear Dan,

reading between the lines on a foreign language (not to mention express myself in it) is a risky business. Should I get this more like a call to arms in terms of users engagement, a dispatch to pragmatically settle web hosting matters, a statement about this list's arc of life, or all of them combined?

Speaking of Google Groups – being unaware of the extra downsides of the free plan besides attachments storage – I'd vote to keep the list open but on the free tier. Not because I wouldn't want to chip in with a donation. When money is involved, also comes responsibility both in terms of participation from members, and direction from leaders – 21 years in, it might become a burden that being freed from is maybe welcome.

Or you can take the chance to discuss a switch in business model: Patreon is a possibility (say, only paying subscribers have access to the archive). Or maybe not. As paid content goes, and not only in terms of color correction challenges, shout-out to Daniele Di Stanio: via ColorDuels he has been releasing premium content on a weekly basis since 2013, so a place for color professionals and enthusiasts does exist. I don't know, and I don't want to know, how much he spends on video hosting ;-)

My own contributions here have almost zeroed in the last couple of years (for a variety of reasons), but I still cheer the digest when it shows up in my inbox. Actually I wanted to post here these days to tell users to keep an eye on the Adobe MAX conference (October 20th-22nd: for once free and online, what not to like) there will be interesting news

I'll be following this thread, genuinely curious to see what direction it'll take.
Hugs from Italy to you all!

Davide Barranca

John M. Henry

Having been involved in managing a few groups, one even older than this. I would say offer the archives and file access for a subscription and keep the list free. Or ask for a donation from members to keep the list going. Surprising you find about the same money will come in, about 10-20% will do one or the other. Send me a paypay link and I will send one month $20 anytime.

John M. Henry

Speedway Press • Mitchell Printing & Mailing Inc. •The Phoenix Press
1 Burkle Street
Oswego NY 13126
315-343-3531

Founding Board Member National Print Owners Association

On Oct 15, 2020, at 7:05 AM, Davide Barranca <undavide@...> wrote:

Dear Dan,

reading between the lines on a foreign language (not to mention express myself in it) is a risky business. Should I get this more like a call to arms in terms of users engagement, a dispatch to pragmatically settle web hosting matters, a statement about this list's arc of life, or all of them combined?

A little of all, I suppose. Well, I’m sorry for being ambiguous. Let me try again.

My question was first of all, in these uncertain times, did people want the list to continue. The answer appears to be an emphatic yes. Also there appears to be a desire to continue to have enough space to archive lots of material, to the point that several people offered to contribute.

The call to arms in terms of user engagement is probably right on. Sooner or later, probably sooner, this group needs to move on from me. This means participation by new people, and others stepping into leadership roles.

Up until now the list was useful to me personally because it aided with my books, classes, and travel. But there will be no more books. I think that circumstances are going to prevent classes for quite some time. And though I would love to resume world travel it doesn’t seem to be in the cards. So, I’ve never had occasion before to ask about whether to continue the list, but I did now, and I got the answer. So, we’ll keep it going for at least another year, and I hope we’ll get more member participation.

The choices were to retain the list in its current form, or to downgrade to the free version and lose a lot of storage flexibility. That was it: a choice between vanilla and chocolate. Some members, in effect, said they wanted pistachio. That isn’t an option. We will not be moving files or the group itself anywhere else. The move from yahoogroups to igroups was a major PITA that I have no desire to repeat. And I would not simply close the group: if there wasn’t enough interest in continuing the group then there is no harm in continuing its torso in the free format.

But, let’s keep things as they are for another year. As for funding, yahoogroups was always free. Groups.io charges $220 a year, which I paid last year and will be billed for again. This is not a staggering amount of money for me and I have no problem shelling it out under the circumstances. There is, as some noted, a way to call for donations on the list but on first glance it seems rather complex and possibly not worth the effort. OTOH the willingness of people to volunteer it is touching and the symbolism of donations is worth considering. I’ll have more on that in a couple of days.

To be clear, though: we are living through a period that has no precedent in my lifetime. I have always known people who weren’t doing well financially, but now I know quite a few who are literally worried about how they are going to put food on the table, if not now maybe in a few months. I absolutely, positively do not want any donation, however symbolic, from any such person. If people who consider themselves relatively well off wish to throw in $20 or so and it can be arranged easily, fine. But strictly, strictly voluntary.

Thanks to all those saying encouraging things. We can all use a little encouragement these days.

Dan

Bevi Chagnon

I aggree, too.

The discussions are priceless, and the archive of information is critical for the industry.

— — —

Bevi Chagnon  | Designer, Accessibility Technician |  Chagnon@...

— — —

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting training development design sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes

— — —

Latest blog-newsletterSimple Guide to Writing Alt-Text

I do think the group should continue and if needed I am willing to contribute.

Thanks

Massimo Calvani

--

💫

Darren Bernaerdt

Hi all,

Although my career has evolved in a different direction since first taking Dan's class in 1998, I remain interested in the topics discussed here and would happily contribute towards keeping this site going. It's a valuable resource and the knowledge shared over the years has been critically important.

Darren Bernaerdt

Beat C

Hi guys,

I just saw Dan’s post.
I definitely would like the group to continue. And I am also willing to contribute some money to keep it afloat.

It may be quite sometimes, but all the times very interesting posts turn up.
I think this group is the best in this field, so let’s continue.

All the best,

Beat Cornaz