Topics

SWOP ink limit

Dan Margulis <76270.1033@...>

Several people have queried what the SWOP standard is for total ink, what
the reasoning for the limit is, and how strictly it is enforced.

SWOP calls for a maximum ink limit of 300% in any area of significant size
and 325% in tinier areas. The reason for the limit is to prevent drying
problems, poor ink trapping, and possible ink contamination.

Most magazines knock this limit down to 280%. AFAIK, the reason they do so
is for bargaining room in case the printer rejects the film. Most magazine
prepress houses and printers offer SWOP ad inspection as a service. At the
time I was active in the field the inspectors were looking for an area the
size of a dime or bigger, in which the total ink was 305 or higher. They
ignored smaller areas altogether.

So, I think the request for 280 is to make it more palatable when the
printer rejects 305. In practice nobody is going to reject for 300 for a
magazine printed on coated stock.

Dan Margulis

Dave Balderstone <dave.balderstone@...>

At 1:36 PM -0500 12/13/00, Dan Margulis wrote:
So, I think the request for 280 is to make it more palatable when the
printer rejects 305. In practice nobody is going to reject for 300 for a
magazine printed on coated stock.
We've run 300 on newsprint if we've had to, even though our spec is 240. We've even run higher than that on occasion after the agency has been informed, has told us they can't get new material to us in time, and has accepted that color is going to shift when the press crew works their magic. But you've seen our operation, and I'm sure little we do would surprise you. <s>

Since acquiring our newest scanner a couple of years ago, though, we prefer to scan the film, descreen, then re-separate.

Dave Balderstone
Director, Technical Services
Western Producer Publications, Saskatoon, Canada