Topics

Questions for Dan and the Group

Kevin Stecyk

I have two items to bring to the Dan's and the group's attention.

The first is that our archives are available to everyone, members and nonmembers. I believe, though I might be wrong, that the prior Yahoo group was restricted to members only. If Dan (or the group) wants to keep a public profile open to all, then no changes are required. If Dan (or the group) wants to restrict our posts to viewing by members only, then Dan needs to make a change. Through the Admin > Settings > Privacy > Group listed in directory, private messages or Group not listed in directory, private messages. Because this is Dan's group, it is his decision. I just thought I would raise the topic for consideration.

The group can go from public to private messages without difficulty. But it's a one-time election. The group can't go from private to public. You wouldn't want someone posting something believing it was private only to have it published to the whole world.

The second item is that I believe pictures and attachments for the group are limited to one gigabyte, which isn't very much. Perhaps we should link to our attachments or pictures and host the attachments or pictures on Dropbox or something similar?

https://groups.io/static/pricing (You can see the limits here.)

The moderators might need to snip pictures, files, and attachments so that the group doesn't go over its limit. Aside from people hosting their own files, I am not sure what the solutions are.

I just thought I would raise these two subject early in the process so that Dan can take appropriate steps.

Kevin

Dan Margulis

On Nov 3, 2019, at 6:13 PM, Kevin Stecyk <stecyk@...> wrote:

[...]

The transition to this group came about much faster than anticipated and we have not yet studied all the possible changes, let alone decided which ones to implement. Hopefully when things settle down we’ll have a better and more active experience for everyone.

The moderators are discussing the public/private issue among others. The pictures/attachment subject is a non-issue. You are correct that the “free” version of groups.io comes with only 1 gb storage. To do the automated transfer, however, I was required to pay for a “premium” group, which means we have 10 gb. Inasmuch as the yahoogroups photos and files came to less than 800mb, this should be much more than enough.

I thank you for bringing up these points, Kevin, and I congratulate myself on my first post to this new list.

Dan Margulis