Topics

Prince Phillip 99th Birthday photo

Rex Butcher

What ho one and all,

I am a diligent lurker on this site and do not feel that my PhotoShop skills are worthy of the various challenges.  I have Dan's books but have to admit, that in many areas, the techniques are somewhat beyond me.

Recently, I have downloaded the challenge photos and attempt to 'improve' them and compare my results with Dan's designated 'best.'

However, this morning, here in the UK, all the national papers have a photograph to celebrate the 99th birthday of Prince Phillip.  In the interest of whatever copyright exist, this is a link to the photo from one of the national newspapers.

I may be missing something, but given the number of photographs taken of the royal family, and the technical ability of whomever they have to  edit the photos, this particularly image is terrible. Some fill-flash to fill the shadows but the image still lacks 'pop.'   If nothing else, the contrast between the front lit background and the backlit dark jacket was a poor clothing choice.

Surely, a better image could have been selected?  Definitely needs a MMM work-over (in my humble opinion.)   Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks, toodle pip and stay safe.

Rex

--
What if the hokey cokey IS what it's all about??

Roberto Tartaglione

Maybe is a “private” snapshot, He and the queen are looking downwards, maybe toward a nephew or some young amateur.

Roberto Tartaglione
roberto@tartaglione.com

Rex Butcher

You are probably correct.  However, their daughter-in-law (Kate) takes some terrific photos of her children;  may be HRH should have asked Kate to take a portrait?  As an 'official' portrait, I don't have a problem  with the aesthetic quality, only  what I perceive as the technical quality.

And if I don't post again, I have  probably been locked in the Tower!

Toodle pip
--
What if the hokey cokey IS what it's all about??

Alec Dann

Looks like the fill light was on-camera which rarely works.  No retouching was done on the reflections in the teeth so, yes, it was probably an amateur.  Copyright is "PA", so no help there nor in the EXIF data which is stripped clean.  The rest of the photos are from Instagram so looks like the Daily Mail does this stuff on the cheap, gleaning work from any source that is free.