Topics

New and Blue

Kevin Gepford

Just sharing this to stir up folks who live in a cmyk world, who are sure to turn blue with envy.

Source: Smithsonian Magazine

Researchers discovered YInMn Blue in 2009. Now, you can purchase a tiny tube of the bright blue paint for $179.40
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-blue-pigment-discovered-200-years-finally-sale-180976769/

Laurentiu Todie

Isn’t that the oldest color from Afghanistan that even the Egyptians were using on their murals 3-4000 years ago?
Lapis Lazuli was popular in early jewelry also, and Reflex Blue is often used in CMYK+.
I once made a full color simulation from Reflex Blue and Orange 021.
Came out nice.

On Jan 19, 2021, at 9:18 PM, Kevin Gepford <kevingepford@...> wrote:

Just sharing this to stir up folks who live in a cmyk world, who are sure to turn blue with envy.

Source: Smithsonian Magazine

Researchers discovered YInMn Blue in 2009. Now, you can purchase a tiny tube of the bright blue paint for $179.40
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-blue-pigment-discovered-200-years-finally-sale-180976769/

Laurentiu Todie
DIGITALIS.ART

Kevin Gepford

Oh yes, Reflex Blue and Orange 21 — brings back memories. That risky combo was spec'd in a duotone job I witnessed in the mid-90's, when I worked at MTV, a sister channel to Nickelodeon. Orange 021 was Nickelodeon's brand color. Some designer thought it would be a nice effect to add Reflex Blue to the mix for some kind of billstuffer that they were designing. Except. The piece included an image of an African-American entertainer and the skin tones came out so ghastly that the whole lot of something like 500,000 was driven straight to the dump. At the time, it wasn't funny.

Frederick Yocum

Interesting. I had some fun about fifteen years ago playing with printing images using two spot colours. The images were generated with two spot colour plates. These were not duotones. I created two colour images by blending CMYK channels   creating two colour approximations of four colours. Quite fun, I would have done more, if CMYK printing had not become so cheap. You can see a couple of examples here.