Topics

List protocol

Dan Margulis

We welcome contributions from those who don't often post here, and would like to call attention to a couple of list rules.

1) Our tradition is that all messages to this group must be signed with the member's full name. First names only or "handles" are not acceptable, nor is quoting an anonymous third party. We request that you configure groups.io to include your full name automatically as the sender of any message. That will insure that each post will have your name at the top and make it unnecessary for you to sign the post. If you don’t do this, you risk having your posts rejected or having your moderation status changed if you forget to add your signature.

To implement this, find whatever your current name is in the upper right of the groups.io site, click/hold and choose your Account settings. Then, on the left side, click Identity. On the resulting screen choose Account Profile: Edit. On the next screen change Display Name to your own full name, followed by Update Account Profile.

2) This list, along with every other I've been involved with, urges you to snip quotes. It is appropriate and correct to quote previous posts so that readers can figure out what you are responding to. Appending the entire post that you are replying to is acceptable if it's reasonably brief. It becomes obnoxious when the appended post is several times longer than your own reply, and particularly so when the appended post itself appends the complete post that *it* was replying to. We have no reason to read complete posts three times, and it is annoying to try to figure out which of three persons is speaking.

Particularly, if you’re replying to a post that includes an image or other attachment, make sure it doesn’t get repeated in yours. We get charged by the space we use, and one image may take up the space of a thousand text messages.

Dan Margulis

Kevin Stecyk

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:19 PM, Dan Margulis wrote:
2) This list, along with every other I've been involved with, urges you to snip quotes. It is appropriate and correct to quote previous posts so that readers can figure out what you are responding to.

One quick feature that I discovered is that if you highlight or select the relevant text and then hit reply, you get a neatly formatted response with the quote highlighted.

I believe you must go online to groups.io to do this. You can’t just reply to the email.

I thought I would pass this tip along for those that might be interested.

Kevin Stecyk