List Description and Rules

Dan Margulis <76270.1033@...>

Applied Color Theory list--General Description and Rules

OBJECTIVE
The objective of this list is to exchange information that may benefit
those who have taken or are considering taking my Applied Color Theory
courses, or who are interested in techniques covered in my books, plus
related topics. This roughly comprises color correction and other methods
that aim at creating satisfactory images, normally for print purposes,
occasionally elsewhere.

NOT A CHAT GROUP
This group is for the rapid interchange of information. Posts that are
essentially chatting should be kept to a minimum. Many of the people
subscribing to this list hail from regions where e-mail service is
unreliable and expensive.

AN INTERNATIONAL GROUP
English is not the first language for many subscribers. Therefore, we
request that you keep your postings not just concise, but in simple and
understandable language. If you are using acronyms, please be sure that
everyone understands what they mean. Also, the preferred format for dates
is 5 March; if you write 3/5/01 this means March 5 in the United States,
but it means May 3 in most of the rest of the world.

ANONYMITY
Members of the list should not post anonymously. One's full name should
appear either in the return address or the sig line. The reason for this
requirement is to avoid irresponsible postings or attacks hidden behind
anonymity. There are, however, certain valid reasons why a list member
might wish to avoid signing his name. In such cases, please forward the
message to me and I will post it if appropriate. Obviously, I will not post
it if it contains personal attacks or other objectionable material.

REPLYING TO MESSAGES
Unlike many other lists, if you hit "reply" to a message, you will be
sending the reply only to the sender, not to the group as a whole. If you
wish the entire group to see the message, it has to be addressed to
colortheory@egroups.com.

UNSUBSCRIBING and POSTING DIFFICULTIES
Instructions on how to unsubscribe are given at the bottom of each post. If
you have any difficulty in either unsubscribing or in posting to the group,
consider the possibility that you are no longer posting or receiving under
the exact address with which you subscribed. If there are still
difficulties, contact the list administrator, Sterling Ledet,
sjledet@ledet.com.

DIGEST MODE
Members who do not want a high volume of single messages may sign up for
this list in digest mode. This will combine all postings into one long
message, daily or every 15 messages, whichever comes first. This must be
done by the member upon signup, or by the member later at www.egroups.com.
To do this you must access the "My Groups" menu at yahoogroups.

If you are subscribing in digest mode and responding to a specific message,
please use the name of that message in the subject field, NOT "Digest #97"
or whatever.

Also, many e-mail readers by default append a copy of the message to which
one is replying. If you are subscribing in digest mode you should be sure
to disable this feature. It is extremely rude to send a complete copy of
the digest to the entire list if you are replying only to one message.

CENSORSHIP
Unlike other lists, we do not censor material prior to posting it. However,
we do reserve the right to limit people's postings under several
circumstances, of which the following are examples.

1. If in my judgment, a thread is going on too long, I will post publicly
to the list and to all participants a request to bring it to a close. My
criteria in doing this may include: limited interest of the thread to the
vast majority of the group; repetition of the same points over and over;
participation only by a few members; or that there was a closely similar
recent thread.

2. If in my judgment, a list member is being unduly unpleasant or personal
in posted comments, I will send that person a complaint in private. If the
posting is so grossly offensive that I feel the whole list would thank us
for bouncing the member immediately, I will recommend that the
administrator do that, and will post this publicly.

3. We reserve the right to limit the sheer volume of posting allowed by any
list member or of any interest group that is posting substantially the same
type of material.

4. If in my judgment, a list member is posting material that is overly
commercial in nature, I will send that person a complaint in private.

5. Flagrantly off-topic posts, such as political statements, will result in
the sender being removed from the list immediately.

6. Members are reminded that, while general discussion of color management
is welcome, lengthy threads on color management esoterica belong on the
ColorSync users list. To subscribe to that list, visit
http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/colorsync-users.

7. Many other groups have had lengthy flame wars between partisans of
Macintosh and Wintel. While thankfully this group has been exempt so far,
notice is given that anything that looks like it might develop into such a
platform war will be suppressed immediately and without mercy.

ADVERTISING and COMMERCIAL POSTS
Nobody wants this to become an advertising list, but In practice it is
difficult to draw a fine line between a comment and a product plug. Members
are requested to use restraint and to ask themselves whether what they are
posting is something that a significant number of readers would be
interested in. That said, brief plugs are permitted. Similarly, new product
announcements are permitted, but the preferred form is to announce briefly
and indicate to the list members where further information is available.

Repeated commercial posts are prohibited. Also, there will be little to no
tolerance for commercial posts from persons who are not otherwise
participating in the list.

Unnecessarily lengthy signature lines that advertise services are
discouraged.

AUTO-REPLIES
If you are planning to be out of the office for a while, please be sure
that you do NOT send auto-replies to the list.

QUESTIONS AS TO APPROPRIATENESS
If you have doubts as to the propriety of posting something, please feel
free to contact me directly.

ARCHIVING
This group has existed since 2/99, but in late 12/00 it shifted servers to
egroups, later yahoogroups, due to excessive advertising material on the
previous list sponsor. All yahoogroups messages are accessible to list
members at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colortheory, but naturally
anything before 1/00 isn't there nor are a certain number of posts from the
transition period.

From time to time, we post edited full threads, advertising free, at
www.ledet.com/margulis. There are currently around 30 such threads
availabile, chosen for their utility. Choose the "articles by Dan" option.

ATTACHMENTS
Attachments of any kind to files are prohibited.

CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
Members are entitled to know if posters have commercial affiliations that
might affect their views as to the topics they post about. If you have such
an affiliation, you are expected to disclose it. This doesn't mean in every
post, but often enough so that the readers will be in no doubt as to what
your biases might be.

STERLING LEDET & ASSOCIATES
This list is sponsored by Sterling Ledet & Associates, an Internet and
graphic arts training company with facilities in the Atlanta, Chicago, New
Orleans, and San Diego areas. For further information concerning its
offerings, visit www.ledet.com or call 877-819-2665 (770-414-5007 from
outside U.S.)

Dan Margulis
DMargulis@aol.com