Linear profiles in combination with the PPW

Gerald Bakker

Edited

I received a message through my website containing the following question:

"I have been looking at the linear profiles that are a recent discussion point on the Internet. I wondered what you thought of them for use in the PPW. I have just reread your posts on raw processing before using PPW in Photoshop. A key item was: Enter the PPW with a version that can be called “dull but not too dull”.
If I use a linear profile things are definitely dull, but highlights are better preserved and have more contrast. I wondered what your thoughts are on using linear profiles in ACR/Lightroom as a first step before using PPW.
My source of linear profiles was Tony Kuyper at https://goodlight.us/linear-profiles.html"

I have to admit I never considered this option, but it seems an interesting idea. Anyone of you have experience with this way of working, or have anything to say about it?
--
Gerald Bakker
https://geraldbakker.nl

Ronny Light

I’m an avid user of Tony Kuyper’s TK Actions. I read Tony’s post about linear profiles but haven’t had a chance to check them out yet. I will this weekend.

Ronny

www.RonnyLightPhoto.com

5010 B Wilkerson Dr.

Nashville, TN 37211

[...]

jorghaschke@...

I stumbled upon it last week too. I tried the linear profiles on a few raw files. They definitely look duller and quite a bit darker than the Adobe Standard profile. My highlights have a lot more room for recovery. My first quick edits in Photoshop gave me better results in recovering details from shadows/highlights and overall better contrast.
I haven’t used the ppw panel with it yet.
My first initial results are positive, but that could vary with each camera and profile. I’m using a D500 which will clip highlights pretty quickly. So more testing will be needed.

Kirk West

Hi

Up to about two years ago I worked on my RAW images by flattening them by flattening the linear curve in ACR as suggested by Dan in the MPCW book. As per the book unless there is a major colour cast I did nothing more in ACR going straight into Photoshop and applied the PPW panel. About two years ago I investigated FastRawViewer (FRV), I liked the programme for various reasons the major one being my ability to decrease contrast simply and then the FRV file could be manipulated much better than the Adobe RAW file in exposing more to the right thus getting better detail in specifically the blacks/ shadows. Also my selection of which RAW file to use was simplified by testing the focus and detail buttons as well as the ability to see just what detail is available in both the highlights and shadows. Also I could increase exposure to a better degree than by using ACR. I am still happy with the programme and have become known for being able to extract excellent detail from my images which I contribute to FRV and PPW.

With respect to The Linear Profiles I have downloaded the profiles for my cameras and shall be testing them, but from what I can understand all it really can do for me is flattening and darkening the image. I would be interested to hear if there are other PPW users who are using FRV and if they work any different from my basic action.

Regards

Kirk West

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Michael Colby

essentially FastRawViewer, which is developed by the same folks who make RAWdigger (raw image analysis software) is much better at rendering images from the raw file than is Adobe LR/ACR).

Adobe's rendering engine is ok and good enough, but as you've discovered, FastRawViewer's is much better

Kirk Thibault

If you would actually like to use a raw converter made by the same folks, you can try Raw Photo Processor (RPP).  It is free, and you can unlock additional features with a donation (like gamut display for soft-proofing and built-in camera profiling with a Color Checker, or any target for which you can supply the .cie file).  The default raw conversion is into Lab, but it will also convert into Beta RGB (8, 16 and 32 bit) as well as sRGB and a couple of other color spaces.  It is a no frills converter with emphasis on quality and does not molest your raw data like most raw converters do.  You can convert into linear (gamma = 1.0) color if you would like, and you can also assign a UniWB as a preset white balance.  The interface is efficient and the conversion and the preview itself is rendered using floating point math.  The histogram is based on L* and the Zone System and the luminance + individual color channels can be toggled on and off.  Adjustments to exposure and white balance coefficients are made in photographic stops, so accommodating color filters is more akin to exposure compensation.

It does no noise reduction and no lens profile correction, and it does not apply any hidden midtone exposure boost.  There are a few demosaic options (depending on the camera model) and it can also generate a half-res file for quick proofing.  It permits the user to specify any application on their machine as the application into which the output file will open, making for nice integration within your workflow.  Color is also terrific, and can be based on the matrix profile that is supplied for your camera, as well as several film simulations if that is how you roll.  As I mentioned earlier, you can also make your own custom camera profiles if you unlock that feature with a donation.  I usually donate $35 or so every couple of years.

It is worth a look if you tend to work on a single image at a time - there is no DAM.  It will do batch processing and you can specify how each image in a folder is edited prior to the batch process, or assign a single set of edits to all files in the folder.

The one catch - it is Mac-only.

The website is dated:

But will give you an overview of the application.

Application development is active and the place to get the latest is on the mailing list (google group) - this is where the betas are announced, which contain the latest camera support.  It is based on the same libraw library as Raw Digger and FRV, so it is being updated with the latest camera models quickly.  I have been using it for years and it is pretty terrific, but if you are into sliders and a DAM, it is definitely not going to fit with your editing style unless you spend some time getting used to it - do not let the interface fool you, it is a powerful conversion tool.

Have fun!

Kirk Thibault

On Jul 26, 2021, at 11:40, Michael Colby <mcolby@...> wrote:

essentially FastRawViewer, which is developed by the same folks who make RAWdigger (raw image analysis software) is much better at rendering images from the raw file than is Adobe LR/ACR).

Adobe's rendering engine is ok and good enough, but as you've discovered, FastRawViewer's is much better

Jim Sanderson

Interesting discussion with regard to the linear response.  Capture One Pro also provides for a choice of linear response for raw development.  I've begun to play with that setting while in Capture One for my GFX files.

Jim Sanderson

[...]

bill bane

This youtube just popped up and seems to have additional info and how to do Linear profiles in LR. I like this guy, Morganti. Less arm waving.

Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLtubEw-xU

Linear Profiles - The NEW RAGE in Photography?

Jul 26, 2021

438

11

Share