Topics

If the list suddenly vanishes

Dan Margulis

First of all I thank everyone for the interest shown in the continuation of our group, and for the constructive suggestions.

If for some weird reason yahoogroups suddenly ceases to function before we can notify everybody, check out my blog at
http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/blog

If some announcement has to be made and I can’t do it here, I’ll give instructions on what to do there.

Finally, I knew that there would be a couple of people who opposed the Facebook option but I did not anticipate the violence of the reaction. So, even if we were to agree that Facebook is the world’s most honest, ethical, and customer-oriented company, moving the list there would be out of the question in view of the level of opposition. No need for further posts on this point. Other suggestions are welcome, although I have to say that grioups.io seems like the best choice so far.

Dan Margulis

Kevin Stecyk

Thank you, Dan, for keeping us current and informed.

My preferences are to avoid Facebook and Google Groups. I will go along with whatever you and the rest of the group decide.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Kevin

Kevin Stecyk

For those interested, I found the following information on Reddit: r/DataHoarder - All of Yahoo Groups is being rm -rf'd December 14

Everything below is a copy and paste.

Best regards,
Kevin

======

If you want to backup the posts, photos & files from this group you can use my program called PG Offline.

It has a 14 day free trial which will give ample time to download your group.

http://www.personalgroupware.com/downloads.htm

Handy "how to" video.

YouTube

The software has become effectively free.

It has a 14 day trial after which you can no longer download from YG! but you can still read and search the downloaded archive.

So, if you can DL your group in 14 days, you’ve won a watch haven’t you?

The lack of a download facility after the group has been deleted by Yahoo isn’t exactly going to be an issue is it?

Cheers,

Wilson Logan (PGO Creator).

williamtheis

it may have been stated somewhere already, but is there a way to archive this entire list?  I refer to older posts frequently and it would be a crime if they disappeared.  they are worth saving and making public even if we need to move to a new site for future conversations.

Bill Theis

Randy Wright

>> is there a way to archive this entire list?<<

PG Offline is designed for this purpose. I have used it successfully, albeit several years ago.

Randy Wright

Alec Dann

Group.IO supports migration of both group member email addresses and content.  Check it out on their Wiki here: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Transfer-from-Yahoo-Groups

In that Wiki post they say they don’t guarantee the content transfer will work after December 1.

Alec Dann

David Riecks

Randy:

I will second your suggestion for PG Offline.

I'd noted PG Offline when it was at version 1.5, and kept it in the back of my mind for my own Yahoogroup (ControlledVocabulary.com) which has been running on Yahoogroups since 2003 and has over 15,000 messages. I'm in the midst of downloading all the messages into an archive right now.

A warning to those who are interested, this is a Windows only product (though might be able to run in emulation software on a mac).

I'll also point out one thing that the developer notes when you first launch which could cause some issues.

Yahoo has a download limit for group messages of approximately 10,000 messages after which you will be locked out of Yahoo Groups for two hours. The lock out is IP based, not account based, so if you can switch IPs you can log back in with your normal account and carry on.

The developer notes a workaround in the "Help" files.

An alternative to downloading messages straight from the group is to Import an archive data file. Archive data files are in MS Access format & have the file extension 'mdb'.  You can import all the messages for a group (or groups) as one archive file, assuming you know someone who has already downloaded the group's messages & has created an archive file via the Export feature.
In order to create an archive file of a very big group, it can be useful to club together with other group members to split the download. If your group has 40000 messages, 20 of you could download it easily by splitting the download amongst yourselves and emailing each other the parts you've downloaded.

I just hit that limit, so will try again tomorrow to get the rest of the messages from my own forum.

If anyone wants to collaborate, let me know (probably best to coordinate offline).  You just need to install the PG Offline software (now at 4.0). The license is $24.95, though you can download and use immediately as it has a 14 day free trial.

I'm assuming that the import merges the databases, but it would be best to figure out who is planning on getting which messages to minimize the overlap.  Also would need to figure out ways of transferring the files, as I suspect these .mdb files could be more than you can safely email. The Color Theory forum has over 31,000 messages.

David

--
David Riecks  (that's "i" before "e", but the "e" is silent)
Need Keywords for your database? Get the Controlled Vocabulary Solution

Beat C

> Bill wrote :
it may have been stated somewhere already, but is there a way to archive this entire list? I refer to older posts frequently and it would be a crime if they disappeared. they are worth saving and making public
> even if we need to move to a new site for future conversations.

I second this.

Beat

David Riecks

Beat:

There is a way to have your own archive....if you are on a Windows machine.

I'd posted last night about PG Offline (v4).  http://www.personalgroupware.com/

Yahoogroups must have lifted their limitations, as I was able to download the full 30,000+ messages in the Color Theory group to my version of PG Offline.

If anyone wants a copy, let me know (probably best to contact me offlist). It's about 100 mb as a .pg4 file, and compressed down to a 22 mb zip file. Note: this archive contains just the messages, not the files, photos, or links.

You just need to install the PG Offline software (now at 4.0). The license is $24.95, though you can download and use immediately as it has a 14 day free trial (in case you aren't sure if it's for you).

If Dan is looking at migrating to Groups.io then there is the option to move all messages and members, but they are asking owners to pay for a "premium" account ($110) in order to do this.  I think that's pretty fair, and just last night completed the set up so my ControlledVocabulary group can be migrated.  After the year, the owner can elect to drop down to the "freemium" model which is more restrictive, though probably about the same as what Yahoogroups offers(ed).

Hope that helps. I'd hate to see this group disappear.

David

On 2019-10-19 08:06, Beat Cornaz b.cornaz@... [COLORTHEORY] wrote:

> Bill wrote :
it may have been stated somewhere already, but is there a way to archive this entire list? I refer to older posts frequently and it would be a crime if they disappeared. they are worth saving and making public
> even if we need to move to a new site for future conversations.
--
David Riecks  (that's "i" before "e", but the "e" is silent)
Need Keywords for your database? Get the Controlled Vocabulary Solution
http://controlledvocabulary.com/products/ support for a dozen of the
most popular imaging applications from Adobe Bridge to Photo Mechanic.

Michael King

David,

I am happy to host a 22mb cloud download of the compressed .pg4 file on our cloud - unless Dan wants to do that on modern color workflow ?

Let me know if I can help with that.
Meanwhile I would love to get a copy myself.

Its small enough you can just email it to me.

Many Thanks,
Mike King

On 2019-10-19 08:06, Beat Cornaz b.cornaz@... [COLORTHEORY] wrote:

> Bill wrote :
it may have been stated somewhere already, but is there a way to archive this entire list? I refer to older posts frequently and it would be a crime if they disappeared. they are worth saving and making public
> even if we need to move to a new site for future conversations.
--
David Riecks  (that's "i" before "e", but the "e" is silent)
Need Keywords for your database? Get the Controlled Vocabulary Solution
http://controlledvocabulary.com/products/ support for a dozen of the
most popular imaging applications from Adobe Bridge to Photo Mechanic.

Beat C

If have read many suggestions and alternatives for the group to move to during the past week. Has nothing been decided and will the group just vanish into thin air?

I hope someone (Dan :-) will make a decision so the group can continue. I think it would be a shame if this knowledgable group disintegrates.

But if nothing comes up, I want to thank everybody and wish you all the best.

Beat Cornaz