From: Gordon Pritchard [mailto:Gordon_Pritchard@CreoScitex.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 7:55 PM
To: Color theory
Subject: [ColorTheory] confusing color management & color correction
If you are not a commercial printer what are you?
we publish school yearbooks, among other things (class rings, diplomas,
etc.).

Would it not benefit your customers to provide them with profiles?
no. hardly any of them scan a thing. overwhelmingly we receive a large box
of paper snapshots and a disc containing the page layouts, into which we
place the images once scanned. it's all automated.

Do you advertise the availablity of your press profile? If
not why not?
no. to understand that you have to understand the mindset of the schools
which I'll try to condense below:

the students and yearbook advisor (an overworked teacher who typically would
much rather not be doing it) do not have the time and rarely have the means,
skill, or interest to scan the hundreds or thousands of photos that go into
a yearbook (think of all the little headshots). we work with all levels of
customer technology because we have to, for example we still get a smallish
percentage of yearbook layouts delivered as paste-ups. few high schools have
vocational programs in graphic arts and those that do tend to teach obsolete
methods. I'd have thought digital cameras would be a big draw to this
market, but they aren't. it's much faster for them to shoot film and send us
prints and pagemaker layouts.

bottom line is this: advisors want to get rid of the yearbook project
ASAP--it is a big liability, time-suck, and a PITA. some students enjoy the
challenge and it's they who are starting to drive in-school scanning and/or
digital photography, though this is a very small segment of the work. of
course this will increase in the future, and we're ready for that.

oh and even if 100% of the schools scanned the entire book, I'd still want
RGB from them. the only reason they should want my press profile is for
soft-proofing.

Wouldn't promoting the availability of your profile give you
a leg-up on
your competitors?
no, for the reasons cited above. everyone in this business faces the same
issues.

Would you provide instruction to customers as to how to use
your profile?
yes, if there's interest.

How would you manage their expectations? I.e. what would
happen if the color
was not what they expected? How would do you assign liability?
the expectation is we reproduce the originals as closely as possible, even
if the originals suck. nothing more. the volume prevents anything else.

one of the challenges in this job has been getting others to understand the
unusual requirements of this business ;)