Topics

Concert on the Beach, particular request

Dan Margulis

In the interests of research, I ask group members to evaluate three specific versions of the Concert image and to post brief opinions to this separate thread. Obviously, I have a particular hidden agenda in asking this question. I’ll disclose the reason when I post the full evaluations in a couple of days. Meanwhile, the more responses, the better I’ll understand the thing that I’m trying to. And no, you don’t need to have participated to respond,

To answer, you need copies of #308, #309, #336, and the par (#339), but my questions pertain to the first three.

1) For each of #308, #309, and #336, I request that you assign a letter grade (A+ is best, C- is worst because I don’t think there are any Ds or Fs here)
*Overall color feeling?
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner?
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building?
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?

2) Which of these three, if any, do you consider to be better overall than the par? For each one that you feel is better, state why. (No need for explanation if you have no preference or if you rate the par as better.)

3) Your preference between #308 and #309? Explain, if you wish.

4) Your preference between #308 and #336? Explain, if you wish.

5) Your preference between #309 and #336? Explain, if you wish.

I’m not expecting a consensus because it’s clear from the entries that some people prefer a more aggressive treatment than others do.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Robert Wheeler

Do you want our responses emailed directly to you, so as not to influence each other? Or is posting to the group ok?
Thanks,
Robert Wheeler

Dan Margulis

On Feb 16, 2021, at 2:31 PM, Robert Wheeler <bwheeler350@...> wrote:

Do you want our responses emailed directly to you, so as not to influence each other? Or is posting to the group ok?

I don’t really care, probably the group is better. If a consensus develops on any of these points it’s OK, because I doubt anybody will guess the motivation for the question.

Dan

James Gray

1) For each of #308, #309, and #336, I request that you assign a letter grade (A+ is best, C- is worst because I don’t think there are any Ds or Fs here)

*Overall color feeling?  A-
*Presentation of the people in the foreground? A+
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner?  A
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building? B+
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)? B-

*Overall color feeling? A-
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?  A+
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner? B+
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building? B
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?  B-

*Overall color feeling?  B
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?  B+
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner? B
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building?  A-
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?  C+

2) Which of these three, if any, do you consider to be better overall than the par? For each one that you feel is better, state why. (No need for explanation if you have no preference or if you rate the par as better.)
I like 308 better than the par.  I think the color and lighting on the stage are better.  There is a skosh more snap in the foreground people.  I like the color of the water better.
I like 309 better than the par.  I think the color and lighting on the stage is better, but not quite as much as 308.  The people have about the same quality, however the color and texture of the floor is better in the par.  The beach and water are better in #309.
I think the par is better than #336, largely because I do not care for the yellowness added to the floor, building, and benches.  The blue of the sea does not look artificial, but does not look quite right.

3) Your preference between #308 and #309? Explain, if you wish.
#308 is better than #309 because the color and light on the state is better and the color of the sea is better.

4) Your preference between #308 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
#308 is better.  As mentioned above, I do not care for the added yellowness to the floor, building, and benches.  The color of the sea is better.

5) Your preference between #309 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
#309 is better for the same reason that #308 is better.

Jim Gray

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 12:26 PM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In the interests of research, I ask group members to evaluate three specific versions of the Concert image and to post brief opinions to this separate thread. Obviously, I have a particular hidden agenda in asking this question. I’ll disclose the reason when I post the full evaluations in a couple of days. Meanwhile, the more responses, the better I’ll understand the thing that I’m trying to. And no, you don’t need to have participated to respond,

Group Owner: colortheory+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

sj_90000@...

Hi Dan,

Here's my input:

1)(308/309/336)
*Overall color feeling? 308=C 309=B 336=C
*Presentation of the people in the foreground? 308=A 309=B 336=C
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner? 308=C 309=B 336=C
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building? 308=A 309=B 336=C
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)? 308=C 309=C 336=B

2) 339(par) seems best

3) (308/309)309 - better definition, color and detail

4) (308/336)niether - both have objectionable areas

5) (309/336)309 - better definition, color and detail

HTH - Steve

Kent Sutorius

Overall Grade:
309 = B+ like the lighter tone because it is summer, everyone is in shirtsleeves
308 = B
336 = C+
Overall color
309 = B - like most everything but the color of the people. - white shirts have blue tint
308 = B
336 = C+
Presentation of the people in the foreground
308 = C - unnatural skin color
309 = B+
336 = B-
Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner
309 = B+
308 = B
336 = C+
Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building
308 = B+

309 = B
336 = C - unnatural look
Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)
336 = A
309 = B
308 = B
Which of these three, if any, do you consider to be better overall than the par?
None
Your preference between #308 and #309
Difficult - overall 308 except for the people - like the overall tone and color - representative of overcast summer day
Your preference between #308 and #336
308 - 336 oversaturated - sand and pavement not natural

Your preference between #309 and #336
309 - 336 oversaturated - sand and pavement not natural

Bill Theis

My opinions are:

#308 = A

*Overall color feeling?  The It really conveys the beach scene retaining just a bit of the overcast gloom but not too much.  This is about as bright as I would go personally (actually I would even take gamma down a hair for my taste).  Not oversharpened or crunchy. I actually prefer 308 to the Par.
*Presentation of the people in the foreground? People look quite natural if a bit tepid.  Reds are good but I think there should be more blue clothing?
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner? I like the yellow onstage glow a lot.  The color temperature different that the audience separates it well from everything else.
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building? Sand color good. Local contrast (people and beach umbrella) better than the Par.
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?  good wave detail (something that can be easily missed). Water should not be purple so this is a shortcoming for me.  I hate purple oceans with no warm sunset.

#309 = C maybe?

*Overall color feeling?  Yellow cast. There's like a haze over the picture that looks like fog rolled in (compared to the chrispness of the others).
*Presentation of the people in the foreground? Skintones oversaturated (which I am now sensitized to). The Reds took a hit and are too dark.  The blues are darker and more saturated,. gives a more balanced feel to crowd clothing choices (some appearing as white in 308 are likely blue).
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner? Has the best banner IMHO.  Stage has a nice color temperature different that the audience but not quite as good as 308.
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building? because of the yellow cast, the sand is quite warm, combined with the yellow concrete the entire image is warm (except the contrasting ocean).
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?  Right color, just way oversaturated.  Better wave detail than Par.

#336= C

*Overall color feeling?  An even greater yellow cast which might work if it were a completely sunny day.  Maybe.  Combine this with the lack of variation in the clothing colors and I feel like this is not something you would encounter in real life.
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?  Lack of blue clothing (some that should clearly be blue) mostly due to being blocked up (L=99). Got the reds right.
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner?  the blue building is drab in comparison to others, the green paint and signs are good.  The banner doesn't stand out, perhaps because the walls around it are now towards the yellow.
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building?  The umbrella and people could stand to be more saturated, just like the crowd.  If the concrete were not so yellow, I would accept the sand color.
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?   Water is cooler and more saturated than par of course, especially the right horizon.  If the yellow cast is removed, it is likely to become even bluer.  Right now it is acceptable to me.  Looks like some whitecaps were added but I really don't think they help much.

As I stated, I think 308 is better than par.

Your preference between #308 and #309? Explain, if you wish.  For reasons mentioned, I pick 308

Your preference between #308 and #336? Explain, if you wish.  For reasons mentioned, I pick 308

Your preference between #309 and #336? Explain, if you wish. I pick 309 over 336.

jorgeparraphotography

Edited

I like #309 because it is the one I submitted so I am biased. That said, I can tell that I had some unexpected troubles with the reds and oranges ( clearly visible in the red clothes)  when I converted the file to sRGB at the end and I had to go through some options ( choosong selective color tool)  to eventually find something I could accept as decent, but I was never satisfied. I am really curious to hear about this red overcorrection and how to sort it out since there is certainly room for improvement. ANother discliamer: I am not yet working in LAB, as I had acknowledged time and again that I am still a rookie in that field.

Oh and one more thing, which I mentioned privately to Dan and would like to voice to all: it may be interesting to hear from you guys how long did it actually take for you guys to achieve your results since Dan's argument of spending just a few minutes in each image makes the challenges even more powerful and challenging. No one can compete with a result that has been gone through hours of work if others are running the challenge under 10 minutes.

I spent about 7 minutes doing #309.
--
Jorge Parra
www.jJorgeParraPhotography.com

Bill Theis

I'm sorry.  I didnt' follow your directions.  Here is what I think you want:

309 = A
308 = C+
336 = C
Overall color
309 = A
308 = B
336 = C (just too yellow)
Presentation of the people in the foreground
308 = A (least saturated skin color, fair variation of clothing color but red took a beating)
309 = B+
336 = C ("highlights" on clothing blocked up, no blues)
Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner
309 =  B
308 =  A (nice yellow glow)
336 = C
Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building
308 =  A for detail, C for color so maybe B overall
309 = C for detail, A for color... B
336 = A good detail and color (but the concrete is the same color)
Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)
336 = C- (purple water but good detail)
309 = C ( saturated blues don't look real)
308 = A

use this with my other email for the reasoning.

Robert Wheeler

Color feeling:            308 A,     309 C,       336 B,     339PAR A
Foreground/people:  308 A,     309 C,      336 B+,    339PAR A+
Stage area:              308 B-,     309 B,      336 B,    339PAR A
Beach area:             308 B,     309 C+,     336 B,    339PAR A
Water                       308 B+,   309 B,       336 C,    339PAR A
I like PAR better than the other three.
I like 308 more than 309 for a better balance of tonality overall; 309 has roof fascia board too white, many shirts too white, audience area floor too red.
I like 308 better than 336 but choice is closer; 308 has better balance across the main areas; in 336 the stage walls get too much yellow cast and the ocean is too monochrome.
I like 336 better than 309; 336 balance of color and contrast better across areas even though ocean is too dull; 309 stark white fascia board and shirts poor fit with rest of picture.
Robert Wheeler

David Remington

My Notes.

1) For each of #308, #309, and #336, I request that you assign a letter grade (A+ is best, C- is worst because I don’t think there are any Ds or Fs here)

*Overall color feeling? C-
*Presentation of the people in the foreground? C-
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner? C-
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building? C-
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)? B-

2) Which of these three, if any, do you consider to be better overall than the par? For each one that you feel is better, state why. (No need for explanation if you have no preference or if you rate the par as better.)

Par is overall better than these three candidates though the water looks a bit artificial and it does not all fit together seamlessly. I think #308 has the most unified look. The building and stage are washed out and the sky is a bit off but it all looks a piece and has a unifying grittiness.

3) Your preference between #308 and #309? Explain, if you wish. #308 The whole image fits together with one ambient lighting feel and mood.

4) Your preference between #308 and #336? Explain, if you wish. #308 is better done and more of one piece. #336 has some problems. Highlights are blown in white shirts and in the sand. Red mid-tones and green highlights clash in some areas. Color cast in the stage area. The image is made of parts that do not represent one lighting situation.

5) Your preference between #309 and #336? Explain, if you wish. #309 out of these two.

Doug Schafer

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 11:26 AM, Dan Margulis wrote:
I ask group members to evaluate three specific versions of the Concert image
1) For each of #308, #309, and #336, I request that you assign a letter grade
(A+ is best, C- is worst because I don’t think there are any Ds or Fs here) *Overall color feeling?
                                                                                                             308    309    336
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?                                        B    C    C+
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner?        B    C    C
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building?                            A    B    C
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?                B    C    C

2) Which of these three, if any, do you consider to be better overall than the par?   none, par better than all 3
For each one that you feel is better, state why. (No need for explanation if you have no preference or if you rate the par as better.)

3) Your preference between #308 and #309? Explain, if you wish.
308 better differential and more realistic colors between water, sand, stage, people; drives balanced attention to stage and people watching stage.

4) Your preference between #308 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
308.   336 bright sand, roof halo, white roof edge, bright orange concrete all distract from center attraction and purpose of photo.

5) Your preference between #309 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
309. 336 (see 4. above) looks fake, 309 looks more realistic but still too bright etc. compared to 308 which has more of a dusk feel.

Doug Schafer

Harvey Nagai

I'll start with Question #2: I prefer the par, despite my quibble posted in the other thread,
I can believe that it is representative of that concert.
    - #308: the griminess throws me off a little, but if I can get past that and the
      ocean has a bit more palatable color, it looks believable.
    - #309: the colors are overwhelming
    - #336: the colors are fantastical

Question #1:
    - #308: B, B+, B-, B-, B-
    - #309: C, C, A, C, C
    - #336: C-, C, B, C-, B

Question #3: 308 is closer to believable.

Question #4: 308, more so.

Question #5: 309

The most objectionable aspect of #336 is that the concrete is a different color than the sand.
The old reality bug tells me that concrete will be colored by dust from the beach, it should
be a matching greyer color.

I think a wise young man once said that an image that looks bad may not be all that bad,
just a few things can spoil an otherwise good image, and I think that's what I'm seeing here.

308 + par luminosity = very good

309 + par color = excellent

336 + par color = very good

I don't think I can say that about my own.

Ronny Light

I didn't submit an entry. That hardly qualifies me to critique the work of others but I think Dan wants all opinions.

This group seems to favor global adjustments over local but I couldn't find a global white balance or global adjustment for one part of the photo that didn't adversely affect other parts of the photo. I wouldn't have been happy without the use of local adjustments.

PRESENTATION OF THE PEOPLE IN THE FOREGROUND

*308 A
*I prefer this image for several reasons. First, I don't think a concert is more about the audience than the concert.
*To promote the thought that people are having fun, they are important to the image but not more important than the concert.
*The color balance of this image is more acceptable to me. I had a problem accepting that, in the original image, there were no white clothes, only white, with a light blue color cast. In this image, there are white clothes, but not at the expense of losing the detail in the white clothes.
*I don't like the reds in this image or any of the others but accept them because other things are better. The skin tones on every image don't look like tans but just don't look human to me. The red in clothes and orange cones looks out of gamut but this image is better than the others and doesn't lose detail in the clothes.

*309 B
*I felt the seating area was too bright in relationship to the concert.
*White clothes have a light blue cast and detail is lost.
*Skin tones are darker than 308.
*Red clothes and orange cones are toned down at the expense of lost detail.
*Colors are oversaturated.

*336 B
*The audience's surface (concrete?) is too red and orange as is the sand.
*Whites are white but detail is blown out.
*Reds and oranges are less saturated at the expense of loss of detail.
*Again, unnatural skin tones.

PRESENTATION OF WHAT'S HAPPENING ON STAGE, INCLUDING THE BANNER

*308 A
*I think this image is the best balance of concert and audience, which makes the concert the focal point. The audience is still close to being equally important, to show people having a good time.
*The banner is best seen in this image. That is what Hampton Beach is promoting.
*The stage lighting is a bit warm but that is typical of stage lighting. If the whites were neutral, the lighting wouldn't look like a stage.
*Warm skin tones again but I can accept that on a stage.

*309 B
*For me, the audience area is too bright.
*I like the stage lighting on 308 better.

*336 C
*Banner is too dark.

ATTRACTIVENESS OF THE BEACH AREA BEHIND THE BUILDING

*308
*This is the least important thing to me. I can't imagine Hampton Beach would be helped or hurt by the beach in any of these images.

*309
*Same as above but the beach is brighter. Maybe that helps.

*336
*As mentioned before, the beach looks to red and brown to me.

PRESENTATION OF THE WATER (DOWNGRADING IT IF IT LOOKS ARTIFICIAL)

*308 C
*The drab color of the water may be as it was on an overcast Hampton Beach sunset but I don't think it will attract visitors.

*309 A
*This is my favorite water and sky. It should appeal to Hampton Beach as a better tourist draw.

*336 B
*The water and sky are good here but better in 309.

BETTER THAN PAR

*308 For reasons above. The Par version is very good; I just prefer 308 overall.

PREFERANCE BETWEEN 308 AND 309

* I prefer 308 for reasons already mentioned.

PREFERENCE BETWEEN 308 AND 336

*I prefer 308 for reasons already mentioned.

PREFERENCE BETWEEN 309 AND 336

*309

Again, I don't generally like giving critiques of the work of others. I think Dan would like a range of opinions and he can do a Par of all to compare with his opinion, just as he made a Par version of the submissions.

These case studies are a challenge and an education. Thanks, Dan, for al the effort you put into them.

Ronny
www.RonnyLightPhoto.com
5010 B Wilkerson Dr., Nashville, TN 37211

Kirk West

1) For each of #308, #309, and #336, I request that you assign a letter grade (A+ is best, C- is worst because I don’t think there are any Ds or Fs here)

*Overall color feeling?  A-
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?B+
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner?  B+
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building? B+
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)? A

*Overall color feeling? A
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?  A+
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner? A+
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building?  A
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?  A

2) Which of these three, if any, do you consider to be better overall than the par? For each one that you feel is better, state why. (No need for explanation if you have no preference or if you rate the par as better.)
I prefer 336 more than the par mainly because I prefer the warmer presentation of the beach, I think it affects the overall presentation more than the par versions slightly better water

3) Your preference between #308 and #309? Explain, if you wish.
#309 is better than #308 because the overall presentation is lighter and has a more pleasing mood.

4) Your preference between #308 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
#336 is better.  Although the floor of the seating area is a bit too warm, The people in the foreground colors generally appear more correct and the beach and water are much better than 308

5) Your preference between #309 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
#336 is better Again the floor of the seating are of 336 is a bit too warm, however the color of the foreground peoples clothes is better in 336, the beach area and water are ever so slightly better than 309.

Although I did not submit, my thanks for allowing me to also respond. I am following the challenges with great interest.

Kirk West

John Gillespie

*Overall color feeling?
308 A
309 B
336 B-
*Presentation of the people in the foreground?
308 A
309 B
336 A
*Presentation of what’s happening on stage, including the banner?
308 B
309 A
336 B
*Attractiveness of the beach area behind the building?
308 B
309 A
336 B
*Presentation of the water (downgrading it if it looks artificial)?
308 B
309 C
336 A

2) Which of these three, if any, do you consider to be better overall than the par? For each one that you feel is better, state why. (No need for explanation if you have no preference or if you rate the par as better.)
Overall 309 is marginally better than the par mainly due to the concrete which I find a bit objectionable in the par and it takes up a lot of space.

3) Your preference between #308 and #309? Explain, if you wish.
Hard to call. 308 is more realistic but 309 is more pleasant. If I had to hang it on my wall and look at it all day long then 309.

4) Your preference between #308 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
308, the colour in 336 is not quite right to me, especially the concrete.

5) Your preference between #309 and #336? Explain, if you wish.
309 for the same reason.

john c.

I'm liking 309 over the others and give it equal weight to par, but I'll reserve final judgment until I get to my much better calibrated display at my shop in an hour or so. I think 309 brings better attention to the bandstand which is the purpose of the shot. If the stage doesn't invite the viewer, it's all for naught. I think 309 also has a pleasing warmth to the beach and people without going overboard and the water looks very reasonable too. Once I get to the shop I'll be able to say a little more the others.

While I'm at it, it's becoming increasingly apparent that what we're all discussing isn't our color adjustment skill set as much as our perception and taste. It's all about knowing what we want it to look like, and not so much how to get it there.

john castronovo

[...]

John Furnes

Here is my view:

Concert on the Beach
  308 309 336 339

Overall color feeling C B C A
People in the foreground A B B- A
Stage + banner B- B B- A
Beach A B- C+ A
Water B- B A- A
Compared to par       BEST
308 vs 309   BETTER 309 has more coherence in colour. Luminosity and sharpness is better
308 vs 336 BETTER 336: sea is blue, beach is yellow, floor has a magenta touch, colours of audience are quite lively, the stage is green
309 vs 336   BETTER Same as above

John Furnes

Dan Margulis

On Feb 17, 2021, at 8:35 AM, john c. <jc@...> wrote:

While I'm at it, it's becoming increasingly apparent that what we're all discussing isn't our color adjustment skill set as much as our perception and taste. It's all about knowing what we want it to look like, and not so much how to get it there.

That’s certainly true in this sub-thread, and it’s likely true of the whole discussion of Concert on the Beach, because this particular image doesn’t challenge our Photoshopping skills particularly while offering many opportunities for good or bad creative decisions. I wouldn’t think it was true of the Mantillas study, probably not Hotel Lobby either.

Dan

jorgeparraphotography

Edited

Dan I certainly concur with your appreciation and  I dare to say that the same applies to basically every challenge, no matter the subject matter and the level of complexity, - if and only if- we are trying to convey a specific message, being commercial, editorial, artistic or what have you, to the final image.

As I said before, I worked 309 in under 10 minutes, never got into LAB color adjustments and this particular image probably did not need it, considering the story in the image is more about promoting tourism and not about which is the perfect White Balance or the ideal rendering of Skin color tones PER SE.

I decided to go yellowish ( something most in the group dislike) after having found myself in almost identical real-life situations after an overcast sky and sometimes rainy days here in Miami open up and allow enough diffused light to render most everything with a golden hue that is truly beautiful, and I tried to bring that sense of yellowish overcast light bathing everything, except the ocean, just as I have seen it just last week, with the Florida Room totally flooded with this amazing tone while the sky was still overcast. This way, the cement on the beach concert floor is not that boring!
The additional saturation of the Blue( Cyan?)  in the water  and sky not only makes a stark contrast with the rest of the image but if we follow the results of the Japanese ( Fuji)  experiments with color and memory we discussed some months ago, may "encourage" people to remember the poster, possibly making an impression that a regular, standard color rendered file, like the PAR, would not.   I forgot to say, I applied no sharpening at all, hoping the color contrast should be enough.

I also noticed some images did not pay much attention to the banner, and for tourism purposes, this is, by far, the critical element in the picture. So, to make this brief, I feel the story and the goal of the images go first, and then we get deep into making our choice of adjustments.

The fact that I tried to make it fast is something I will ALWAYS be thankful to you since the hierarchy of my post workflow is totally changing since I am trying this fast-paced approach. I think more BEFORE starting to play with pixels, so I have a better idea of where I am trying to go. ANd this is exactly the way I work when capturing images: I definitely visualize first whatever I want to achieve and then I work on the lighting, composition, color mixes, etc, etc so I am now extending this to my post-production. So thanks one more time!