Color settings and upgrades

gowens01@...

I'll start with a question. I just upgraded my Mac to OS 8.1 (I've
hesitated upgrading to 8.6 and 9.0 because I read that there were
conflicts with Photoshop). I have both 5.0 and 5.5 in the computer
and have set them to emulate the color settings for Photoshop 4.0. If
I calibrate my monitor with Colorsync will I have a conflict with my
photoshop settings?

I've just read Mr. Margulis article in the December 2000 issue of
Electronic Publishing about upgrades. I would like to upgrade to
photoshop 6.0 but as I mentioned before I'm still operating on 8.1
and if I would upgrade to 9.0 come January it will be time to upgrade
to OS X. I'm running a 7100/80 Mac. I will have to buy a new computer
to use OS X. And if I upgrade to Photshop 6.0 it will not be native
to OS X. And Photoshop hasn't said anything about a native upgrade
for OS X.

Thank you for your articles in Electronic Publishing Mr. Margulis. I
did follow your instructions to get Photoshop 5.0 to emulate the 4.0
color setting.

Gary Owens

Bob Smith <rmsmith@...>

Chris Murphy wrote:

You want a new computer anyway. Anything you get today will come with Mac
OS 9, and run Photoshop 6 so much faster than the 7100 making it worth
it.
Just for example... I've spent the last couple of days moving from an aging
and heavily upgraded 7600 to a G4 with twin 450's. A 120MB CMYK layered
Photoshop file opened in 1 minute, 40 seconds on the G3 powered 7600. It
opens in a little under a minute on my 400mhz G3 Powerbook. It opens in 6
seconds on the G4. That's a pretty damn serious performance improvement for
about $2500.

Bob Smith

Chris Murphy <lists@...>

Since I'm finally taking the plunge and moving from PS4 to PS6, what would
you recommend as the best package for monitor calibration and profile
creation?

I work with both Mac's and PC's, so if there is a package that works with
both that would be preferred.
As long as it's Windows 98 or 2000, then I would get Photocal + Spyder
from Color Vision. $199 for 1 license of software and colorimeter and $50
for each additional seat of software. If you're looking at dealing with
NT, then it gets more dicey.

It will calibrate as well as make profiles for MONITORS.

A colleague has one of the Xrite densitometers
(don't recall which one offhand) that he has offered to let me borrow. It
was a several thousand device, so that would be great if the profile
software could allow the use of that device.
A densitometer is color blind (not a precisely accurate analogy, but it
doesn't give us useful colorimetric nor spectra information). At a
minimum a reflective colorimeter is needed to make profiles, but
spectrophotometers don't cost much more so I recommend them.
Spectrophotometers can be used as a colorimeter and as a densitometer, so
they are quite versatile.

If I understand correctly, I'll need some hardware (suction cup device) and
software for monitor calibration, and I'll need some software package and
device to read the output targets from diferent devices.
Honestly I'd stick with Photoshop 5 or 6 for making your initial
separation information if you're working with presses or contract
proofing systems. Andrew, hasn't Bruce said he's made pretty good inkjet
profiles using Photoshop also? I think he has. Anyway, I would start
there and once you have success and then want more functionality or
better results, look into a profiling application like Gretag Macbeth
ProfileMaker 3.

I'd like to move forward and adopt the new style color management, but
frankly find it extremely confusing.
I'd recommend joining Apple's ColorSync User's listserve. The group there
can provide assistance, product recommendations, and troubleshooting
advice.

Chris Murphy