Color reference charts book

Dean Wilmot

Hi all,

Are there any good rgb/cmyk/lab color reference chart books on the market?

thanks

Regards

Dean Wilmot
0416 264 230

Bevi Chagnon

There's the "traditional" PANTONE Bridge guide, which shows the PANTONE spot
color library converted to CMYK, RGB, and RGB-Hex
https://www.pantone.com/products/graphics/color-bridge-coated-uncoated

But it doesn't show a complete listing of CMYK or RGB builds, only those
that match the 2000+ colors in PANTONE's spot color library.

And I've never seen any color guide with LAB.

What you're looking for would be an incredible guide. Definitely let us know
if you find anything.

- - -
Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO | Bevi@PubCom.com
- - -
PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing
consulting . training . development . design . sec. 508 services
Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes
- - -
Latest blog-newsletter - Accessibility Tips at www.PubCom.com/blog

--
David Riecks  (that's "i" before "e", but the "e" is silent)
Need Keywords for your database? Get the Controlled Vocabulary Solution

Doug Schafer

Not a book, but website that may be useful on your topic:
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html

Doug Schafer

Michael Jahn

This might be a little difficult to explain in simple terms, but that book might be rather large and well, un-useful.

Imagine there are 256 level of grey for each channel - so, for CMYK, that is 256 to the 4th power possible combinations

( 4,294,967,296 positive combinations - yeah, a LOT of them are nearly white and black )

okay, getting more realistic, lets stick with a 10x10 grid of squares to represent 0 to 100% - we need 100 CM pages a hundred CY and a 100 MY pages ( maybe we can make a film with black to lay over them ? )

Actually, I think someone create a book that was CMYK - TrueColor or TruColor - long out of business.

One of the issues ( a big one ) is which press condition and substrate.

https://www.idealliance.org/idealliance-guide-to-print-production

In the world of printing it is not simply one size fits all...for a deep dive ...

http://connect.idealliance.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=fa036adf-3edd-39ef-1987-413d4e6d7790&forceDialog=0

When I worked for Pantone in 2002 - there was an excel spread sheet that had the sRGB  - SWOP CMYK - and Lab values - this was given to vendors  who licenced Pantone library -  manufacturers Presses of a proofing or digital printing systems Like Kodak, Xerox, HP, et al.

Of course the recipes that the vendor used, and the CMM they used - varied as wildly ad the inks/pigments/dyes they use to simulate these color - the marking engine
( the device that spit or otherwise impinged the colorant )
and  ( additionally ) varied wildly dependent on the substrate - humidity - temperature etc....

So, basically most vendor partners were "on their own" to come up with a way to simulate a Pantone color - since the Swatch guide really did not follow a specifc press condition, but was some "average" of the many that are out there.

Never mind Pantone was as transparent as a flat iron skillet as Kodak, Dupont, Agfa or Fuji - as everyone had their family jewels to protect.

I would just stick to this product, at least everyone is wrong in the same way !

Respectfully,

Michael Jahn
2718 Cimmaron Ave
Simi Valley, CA 93065

805 416 6946

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:03 AM Dean Wilmot via groups.io <deanwilmot=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

Are there any good rgb/cmyk/lab color reference chart books on the market?

thanks

Regards

Dean Wilmot
0416 264 230

Dean Wilmot

Great thanks Bevi

I did have a Pantone book many years ago but sadly I can’t find it see if I can get another??

Regards

Dean Wilmot
0416 264 230

On 11 May 2020, at 22:18, Bevi Chagnon <chagnon@pubcom.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much Everyone

Regards

Dean Wilmot
0416 264 230

On 11 May 2020, at 23:19, angelhairpasta177 <flapjack@brucebomb.com> wrote:

[...]

djcb1000

The Ral D4 Colour Atlas (RAL Design System) is a physical atlas of (?painted) colour chips showing CIE L*a*b* space expressed in HLC coordinates.

https://www.ral-shop.com/product/ral-d4/

For RGB this is unlikely to be very useful, but is certainly spectacular!
https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/09/tauba-auerbachs-rgb-colorspace-atlas-depicts-every-color-imaginable/

David Briggs
www.huevaluechroma.com