Topics

Cleaning up a photo of a newspaper photo

Joe Marshall

I am trying to make photographic copy of a 40+ year-old newspaper article for a friend. The newspaper page had been folded and stored in a file cabinet. Two of the folds go across a photo and clearly show up in the scanned image. I would like to minimize their visibility, but I can't get the PS healing tools to work well with the halftone dots. Is there some well-known method for this or can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe Marshall

k_d@...

Did you try a scanner setting (if you have one) to help eliminate halftone dots as you scan?

jimbean wcc

< Did you try a scanner setting (if you have one) to help eliminate halftone dots as you scan?>

there  is no such setting that works…  review Dan moiré columns….  basically not a setting, but an angle..

however if you need just one-off and you have access to a decent inkjet printer with nice media, you

can ‘fish around’ for an output resolution that will print clean (with dots).. you cannot remove the dots successfully.

aside:  too many photographers in my industry cannot manage the fold….  layout the fold(s) to be

at right angles to the scanner’s scan and it will be nearly invisible… adjust the tone and it will disappear.

It would be best if you could dry mount/vac mount/pin roller with contact adhesive to flatten

the newsprint… or more safely use a dry mount press (no adhesive) to iron it flatten.

Review the channels and use what works best… as the Blue may initially look great… try another channel

and run the contrast up… you don’t need or want the additional tone range that may exist in the blue channel

(as newsprint and older newsprint are of course yellow)

regards and good times,

Jim Bean

scenic san angelo texas

Mike Weis

As far as halftone dots go, I had a project that involved scanning 40 year old yearbook photos and prepping them for a video slideshow. The best quick way I found for dealing with them came from using a Box Blur.

Nick Tresidder

On 7/09/2020, at 10:17 AM, Joe Marshall <JoeMarshall@...> wrote:

I am trying to make photographic copy of a 40+ year-old newspaper article for a friend. The newspaper page had been folded and stored in a file cabinet. Two of the folds go across a photo and clearly show up in the scanned image. I would like to minimize their visibility, but I can't get the PS healing tools to work well with the halftone dots. Is there some well-known method for this or can anyone offer any suggestions?
If you were to heal on a separate layer you could then use filter/pixelate/halftone colour to add the dots back into that layer?

Nick Tresidder

maria and phil

For mimimising halftone dots, there is software available. If you google 'Fourier Transformation' and 'Pattern Suppression', you should find a program such as 'FFT Wizard' (but it's not the only one).

I tried it and found it wasn't perfect. I checked the RGB channels and found that it had worked well in two of them, so I re-ran the software on the worst channel only, then replaced this channel. I thought the final result was an impressive improvement.

Phil Lamerton

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 05:20, Nick Tresidder <nick@...> wrote:

> On 7/09/2020, at 10:17 AM, Joe Marshall <JoeMarshall@...> wrote:
>
> I am trying to make photographic copy of a 40+ year-old newspaper article for a friend. The newspaper page had been folded and stored in a file cabinet. Two of the folds go across a photo and clearly show up in the scanned image. I would like to minimize their visibility, but I can't get the PS healing tools to work well with the halftone dots. Is there some well-known method for this or can anyone offer any suggestions?

If you were to heal on a separate layer you could then use filter/pixelate/halftone colour to add the dots back into that layer?

Nick Tresidder

john c.

Yes FFT is the way to go. It comes free with the the Photoshop killer program Affinity Photo which sells for about $40 so that’s the one I use. Take a good sharp scan into Affinity Photo’s FFT filter, you need to do some easy hand brush work to use the filter since it’s not automatic, and the dots will be over 90% gone. When you run the filter, it presents you with an interference pattern of white stars on a dark field. Use a brush to darken all of them except the one in the center, click ok and that’s how you get rid of any repeating pattern like a halftone screen using FFT without losing detail the way blurring would.

john castronovo

Sent: Monday, September 07, 2020 5:01 AM
Subject: Re: [colortheory] Cleaning up a photo of a newspaper photo

For mimimising halftone dots, there is software available. If you google 'Fourier Transformation' and 'Pattern Suppression', you should find a program such as 'FFT Wizard' (but it's not the only one).

I tried it and found it wasn't perfect. I checked the RGB channels and found that it had worked well in two of them, so I re-ran the software on the worst channel only, then replaced this channel. I thought the final result was an impressive improvement.

Phil Lamerton

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 05:20, Nick Tresidder <nick@...> wrote:

> On 7/09/2020, at 10:17 AM, Joe Marshall <JoeMarshall@...> wrote:
>
> I am trying to make photographic copy of a 40+ year-old newspaper article for a friend. The newspaper page had been folded and stored in a file cabinet. Two of the folds go across a photo and clearly show up in the scanned image. I would like to minimize their visibility, but I can't get the PS healing tools to work well with the halftone dots. Is there some well-known method for this or can anyone offer any suggestions?

If you were to heal on a separate layer you could then use filter/pixelate/halftone colour to add the dots back into that layer?

Nick Tresidder

Henry Davis

If the goal is to keep the halftone while healing the fold I would suggest scanning at a very high resolution then magnify the view and do your best to align the cloning tool at the exact same angle as the screening.

Henry Davis

On Sep 6, 2020, at 6:17 PM, Joe Marshall <JoeMarshall@...> wrote:

I am trying to make photographic copy of a 40+ year-old newspaper article for a friend. The newspaper page had been folded and stored in a file cabinet. Two of the folds go across a photo and clearly show up in the scanned image. I would like to minimize their visibility, but I can't get the PS healing tools to work well with the halftone dots. Is there some well-known method for this or can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe Marshall

Henry Davis

Another suggestion: if the area of the fold doesn’t have much scene variation you can select an adjacent undamaged area, copy and then paste it over the fold. Again view at high magnification and align the new halftone dots at the same angle.

You may have to fiddle with the light/dark value of the new dots to make a good match.

Henry Davis

On Sep 6, 2020, at 6:17 PM, Joe Marshall <JoeMarshall@...> wrote:

I am trying to make photographic copy of a 40+ year-old newspaper article for a friend. The newspaper page had been folded and stored in a file cabinet. Two of the folds go across a photo and clearly show up in the scanned image. I would like to minimize their visibility, but I can't get the PS healing tools to work well with the halftone dots. Is there some well-known method for this or can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe Marshall

Frederick Yocum

I am with Henry on the solution. If the photographs are part of a larger facsimile of a newspaper page. Maintaining the halftone pattern will add a sense of voracity to the image.

regards,
Frederick Yocum
mobile 717.341.2226
Skype Frederick
1152 Main Street
Akron, PA 17501

On Sep 7, 2020, at 11:52, Henry Davis <davishr@...> wrote:

[...]

Hector Davila

The reason why it isn't perfect is because the Instructions are wrong, or the author doesn't understand how it's own FFT program works.

The Instructions say to 'block out the white spots you see'. You do that and you still see pattern left.

What they don't understand is that there are 'white spots' that you *cannot* see, lots of them...maybe millions. Not visible to the naked eye.

So, you have to remove all the white spots you cannot see.

Extreme D&S does that for you. (no need to remove each dot individually)

Hector Davila

P.S. (there are a couple of dots close to the center you don't want to remove all, they control the linear line patterns.) (remove top one and leave the other bottom one in)

On 9/7/2020 2:01 AM, maria and phil via groups.io wrote:
For mimimising halftone dots, there is software available. If you google 'Fourier Transformation' and 'Pattern Suppression', you should find a program such as 'FFT Wizard' (but it's not the only one).

I tried it and found it wasn't perfect. I checked the RGB channels and found that it had worked well in two of them, so I re-ran the software on the worst channel only, then replaced this channel. I thought the final result was an impressive improvement.

Phil Lamerton

Michael Jahn

Hi Joe,

I have seen several high end tools that are designed to descreen.

Mostly designed to convert scans of printed books back into print ready PDF files.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7MTaA9sxe4xNTQ1MjEyNTEtMjA2My00OTMzLWFlZDUtNDU0ZDhkMDQ0N2Y0/view?usp=sharing

I have also seen several "hacks" using Photoshop, none of which I have ever been all that impressed with, but this might be adequate for your needs.

http://www.descreen.net/eng/help/descreen/home/main.htm

Hope this helps !

Respectfully,

Michael Jahn
2718 Cimmaron Ave
Simi Valley, CA 93065

805 416 6946

 Is there some well-known method for this or can anyone offer any suggestions?

maria and phil

Please would you clarify what 'extreme d&s' is?  I suspect it's something I should already know but I can't, for the life of me, think what it is.

Phil Lamerton

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020, 19:22 Hector Davila, <amerphoto@...> wrote:
The reason why it isn't perfect is because the Instructions are wrong,
or the author doesn't understand how it's own FFT program works.

The Instructions say to 'block out the white spots you see'. You do that
and you still see pattern left.

What they don't understand is that there are 'white spots' that you
*cannot* see, lots of them...maybe millions. Not visible to the naked eye.

So, you have to remove all the white spots you cannot see.

Extreme D&S does that for you. (no need to remove each dot individually)

Hector Davila

P.S. (there are a couple of dots close to the center you don't want to
remove all, they control the linear line patterns.) (remove top one and
leave the other bottom one in)

On 9/7/2020 2:01 AM, maria and phil via groups.io wrote:
> For mimimising halftone dots, there is software available. If you
> google 'Fourier Transformation' and 'Pattern Suppression', you should
> find a program such as 'FFT Wizard' (but it's not the only one).
>
> I tried it and found it wasn't perfect. I checked the RGB channels and
> found that it had worked well in two of them, so I re-ran the software
> on the worst channel only, then replaced this channel. I thought the
> final result was an impressive improvement.
>
> Phil Lamerton

john c.

Dust and Scratches filter

Sent: Monday, September 07, 2020 7:37 PM

Please would you clarify what 'extreme d&s' is?  I suspect it's something I should already know but I can't, for the life of me, think what it is.

Phil Lamerton

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020, 19:22 Hector Davila, <amerphoto@...> wrote:
The reason why it isn't perfect is because the Instructions are wrong,
or the author doesn't understand how it's own FFT program works.

The Instructions say to 'block out the white spots you see'. You do that
and you still see pattern left.

What they don't understand is that there are 'white spots' that you
*cannot* see, lots of them...maybe millions. Not visible to the naked eye.

So, you have to remove all the white spots you cannot see.

Extreme D&S does that for you. (no need to remove each dot individually)

Hector Davila

P.S. (there are a couple of dots close to the center you don't want to
remove all, they control the linear line patterns.) (remove top one and
leave the other bottom one in)

On 9/7/2020 2:01 AM, maria and phil via groups.io wrote:
> For mimimising halftone dots, there is software available. If you
> google 'Fourier Transformation' and 'Pattern Suppression', you should
> find a program such as 'FFT Wizard' (but it's not the only one).
>
> I tried it and found it wasn't perfect. I checked the RGB channels and
> found that it had worked well in two of them, so I re-ran the software
> on the worst channel only, then replaced this channel. I thought the
> final result was an impressive improvement.
>
> Phil Lamerton

john c.

Ok, but you could lost the scree using FFT, do an easier retouch without cloning dots, and then rescreen it if you wanted dots again

jc

[...]

I select 4 parts
and do a dust and scratches filter at 100 Radius  and 9 Threshold.
(it reads D&S on Dan Margulis panel)

Hector Davila

On 9/7/2020 4:37 PM, maria and phil via groups.io wrote:
Please would you clarify what 'extreme d&s' is?  I suspect it's something I should already know but I can't, for the life of me, think what it is.

Phil Lamerton

Penny Gentieu

Joe -- did you try ironing the newspaper article before you scanned it? Iron it on low in between two sheets of plain paper or newsprint if you have it. (heat only, no steam!) That will make it at least a little easier to clean up it necessary. I've ironed older newspaper articles than that.

Penny Gentieu

Joe Marshall

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will need some time to get the newspaper back from my friend and try the re scanning suggestions. I also need to spend time digesting (= understanding) your other ideas.

My goal is to have the text and picture maintain a newspaper look. I do not wish to get rid of or minimize the halftone dots. Apologies for not including that in the question.

Joe Marshall

Michael Jahn

Hi Joe,

If you want to retain the halftone dots, you need the ability to scan at a MINIMUM of 900 ppi

higher is better !

Respectfully,

Michael Jahn
2718 Cimmaron Ave
Simi Valley, CA 93065

805 416 6946

My goal is to have the text and picture maintain a newspaper look. I do not wish to get rid of or minimize the halftone dots. Apologies for not including that in the question.

Rick Gordon

The in addition, shouldn't it be saved and placed as a bitmap file, so that it's not being double-screened?

Rick Gordon

On September 10, 2020 at 8:00:54 PM [-0700], Michael Jahn wrote in an email entitled "Re: [colortheory] Cleaning up a photo of a newspaper photo":

Joe Marshall said:
My goal is to have the text and picture maintain a newspaper look. I do not wish to get rid of or minimize the halftone dots. Apologies for not including that in the question.

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com