Topics

Chevreul book just hit my doorstep...

George Machen

...and from only skimming through it, it's already waaay beyond all expectations.

Wow!

– George Machen

philipwarner2000

What is the name of the book exactly?

Phil

Michael Colby

On the Law of Simultaneous Contrast of Colors and its timeless application in all the visual arts

M.E. Chevreul
Dan Margulis

George Machen

Edited

Something most unexpected from this book!...

Still only from casual browsing, peppered throughout are examples of images applying principles espoused by Chevreul from the translated text, often with several alternative variations. I can see that these are going to give me insights into how to formulate approaches to corrections in a way I was never able to get through my thick skull from all of Dan's previous works, and only have been able to do mechanically or by rote. I've never been able to develop the ability to handle in a novel way, or intuitively, maneuvers that have always baffled me. When Dan did them in his books or videos, time after time the techniques went far beyond the Photoshop tools or new PPW methods, and to me they were like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, leaving me feeling, how did he come up with that? Akin to how it's one thing to be able to learn how to play a musical instrument and read music scores; it's quite a leap further to be able perform competent improvisational jazz! The corrections I made for the LAB book beta reading exercises were always low on Dan's list of likes compared to the other readers' contributions (but it didn't hurt my feelings because I knew I really wasn't very good at this).

But, by gum, I can see how this Chevreul book is going to help me nurture for the first time a half-decent sense of thoughtful color correction wherewithal, and an aptitude to see ahead. I wonder if Dan even knows this book is more than just a historical and biographical account.

bill bane

Eloquent, and +1!

With bated breath,

Bill Bane