Topics

Chevreul book just hit my doorstep...

George Machen

...and from only skimming through it, it's already waaay beyond all expectations.

Wow!

– George Machen

philipwarner2000

What is the name of the book exactly?

Phil

Michael Colby

On the Law of Simultaneous Contrast of Colors and its timeless application in all the visual arts

M.E. Chevreul 
Dan Margulis

George Machen

Edited

Something most unexpected from this book!...

Still only from casual browsing, peppered throughout are examples of images applying principles espoused by Chevreul from the translated text, often with several alternative variations. I can see that these are going to give me insights into how to formulate approaches to corrections in a way I was never able to get through my thick skull from all of Dan's previous works, and only have been able to do mechanically or by rote. I've never been able to develop the ability to handle in a novel way, or intuitively, maneuvers that have always baffled me. When Dan did them in his books or videos, time after time the techniques went far beyond the Photoshop tools or new PPW methods, and to me they were like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, leaving me feeling, how did he come up with that? Akin to how it's one thing to be able to learn how to play a musical instrument and read music scores; it's quite a leap further to be able perform competent improvisational jazz! The corrections I made for the LAB book beta reading exercises were always low on Dan's list of likes compared to the other readers' contributions (but it didn't hurt my feelings because I knew I really wasn't very good at this).

But, by gum, I can see how this Chevreul book is going to help me nurture for the first time a half-decent sense of thoughtful color correction wherewithal, and an aptitude to see ahead. I wonder if Dan even knows this book is more than just a historical and biographical account.

bill bane

Eloquent, and +1!

With bated breath,

Bill Bane

From: colortheory@groups.io [mailto:colortheory@groups.io] On Behalf Of George Machen
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2020 7:03 PM
To: colortheory@groups.io
Subject: Re: [colortheory] Chevreul book just hit my doorstep...

Something most unexpected from this book!...

Still only from casual browsing, peppered throughout are examples of images applying principles espoused by Chevreul from the translated text, often with several alternative variations. I can see that these are going to give me insights into how to formulate approaches to corrections in a way I was never able to get through my thick skull from all of Dan's previous works, and only have been able to do mechanically or by rote. I've never been able to develop the ability to handle in a novel way, or intuitively, maneuvers that have always baffled me. When Dan did them in his books or videos, time after time the techniques went far beyond the Photoshop tools or new PPW methods, and to me they were like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, leaving me feeling, how did he come up with that? Akin to how it's one thing to be able to learn how to play a musical instrument and read music scores; it's quite a leap further to be able perform competent improvisational jazz! The corrections I made for the LAB book beta reading exercises were always low on Dan's list of likes compared to the other readers' contributions (but it didn't hurt my feelings because I knew I really wasn't very good at this).

But, by gum, I can see how this Chevreul book is going to help me nurture for the first time a half-decent sense of thoughtful color correction wherewithal, and an aptitude to see ahead. I wonder if Dan even knows this book is more than just a historical and biological account.

Raymond St. Arnaud <starnaud@...>

Book showed up this afternoon. Skimmed the pictures and read captions. Lots of meat to digest over time.

My thanks to Dan for taking on this task and an additional thank you for the autograph, which was unexpected.
I must owe you at least 2 beers.

Raymond St Arnaud
Victoria, BC

jorgeparraphotography

Same here in Mami. The mailman brought the book properly boxed and signed! Last week the Photoshop book had arrived in advance just the same.

Many Thanks, Dan!

Jorge Parra

Aaron Elin

I just received my copy this morning. I can’t wait to start reading it this weekend after skimming through the pages. Much to learn here and I might add that the quality of the physical book itself is top notch. Thanks Dan for the huge effort that went into this. 

Dan Margulis

On Feb 4, 2020, at 3:02 AM, Raymond St. Arnaud <starnaud@...> wrote:

Book showed up this afternoon. Skimmed the pictures and read captions. Lots of meat to digest over time.

Thanks for this reaction, which seems to correspond to those of others on this list. Not everybody has gotten their copy yet, and those that have probably haven’t dived into the text proper yet. So, they look at the pictures/captions and, I trust, draw the conclusion that some thought-provoking ideas will be presented. I hope we can soon start discussing some of them.

My own copies are due to show up on Friday, and the main delivery will hit Atlanta shortly thereafter. At that point—just a few days from now—we intend to offer another sale as we did during the book’s printing. I’ve announced it in my blog, saying people should watch that space because once we announce it there will be a relatively short window to order.

Here’s the link:

Please share it with your friends. We are a word-of-mouth operation. If you like the book, make your opinion known. And if you don’t, make it known anyway. It will help others to decide whether to dig deeper into it—just as the book helps us decide which of Chevreul’s suggestions to adopt.

My thanks to Dan for taking on this task and an additional thank you for the autograph, which was unexpected.

From considerable experimentation, I can vouch for the fact that the province of British Columbia produces excellent brews, and IMHO even better wines. However, the state of Oregon, where the printing took place, is also noted for its beermaking prowess. The brewmeisters have some very creative ideas, some of which, like the addition of pine extract, would be best avoided. But, guided by Chevreul, in the spirit of science I tried them all. I now have to try to lose the 5 kg or so that I put on. I am afraid to step on a scale to find out the malty truth.

Dan Margulis

adriano esteves

Dan,

And my copy arrived today to Portugal! Much to digest over the next few months, like always. Muito obrigado for the personal note!

Curious to understand why you decided to print the cover on HP Indigo digital offset, the final result colour range is incredible BTW, would it be less impressive on offset?

Thanks for the repeated effort on producing these gems.
a,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 9:24 PM Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Feb 4, 2020, at 3:02 AM, Raymond St. Arnaud <starnaud@...> wrote:

Thanks for this reaction, which seems to correspond to those of others on this list. Not everybody has gotten their copy yet, and those that have probably haven’t dived into the text proper yet. So, they look at the pictures/captions and, I trust, draw the conclusion that some thought-provoking ideas will be presented. I hope we can soon start discussing some of them.

My own copies are due to show up on Friday, and the main delivery will hit Atlanta shortly thereafter. At that point—just a few days from now—we intend to offer another sale as we did during the book’s printing. I’ve announced it in my blog, saying people should watch that space because once we announce it there will be a relatively short window to order.

Here’s the link:

Please share it with your friends. We are a word-of-mouth operation. If you like the book, make your opinion known. And if you don’t, make it known anyway. It will help others to decide whether to dig deeper into it—just as the book helps us decide which of Chevreul’s suggestions to adopt.

From considerable experimentation, I can vouch for the fact that the province of British Columbia produces excellent brews, and IMHO even better wines. However, the state of Oregon, where the printing took place, is also noted for its beermaking prowess. The brewmeisters have some very creative ideas, some of which, like the addition of pine extract, would be best avoided. But, guided by Chevreul, in the spirit of science I tried them all. I now have to try to lose the 5 kg or so that I put on. I am afraid to step on a scale to find out the malty truth.

Dan Margulis

Jean Dubois

Benelux (EU) copies are rolling in too!

Beautiful book at first glance with more color than I thought — just slightly "damaged" by a for me unexpected surprise (thank you, Dan! :-)

Gonna have a look now...

Jean Dubois

Marco Diodato

I received mine as well (in London)!
Great stuff, can’t wait to start digging! :-)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 09:19, Jean Dubois via Groups.Io <twasnigemakkelak=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Beautiful book at first glance with more color than I thought — just slightly "damaged" by a for me unexpected surprise (thank you, Dan! :-)

Gonna have a look now...

Jean Dubois

--
Marco M Diodato
marco.diodato@...
+44 7565 266842

Rex Waygood

Thank you.
My three copies have arrived in the UK and I have repackaged one and I'm about to stick it in the post as a thank you to my colour mentor.
The other is a gift I hope to present personally in about two weeks.
Then I hope I can sit and read mine!
Regards
Rex

John M. Henry

Got mine in Oswego NY yesterday

John M. Henry

Speedway Press Mitchell Printing & Mailing Inc. The Phoenix Press

1 Burkle Street

Oswego NY 13126

315-343-3531

From: colortheory@groups.io <colortheory@groups.io> On Behalf Of Marco Diodato
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2020 4:38 AM
To: colortheory@groups.io
Subject: Re: [colortheory] Chevreul book just hit my doorstep...

I received mine as well (in London)!

Great stuff, can’t wait to start digging! :-)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 09:19, Jean Dubois via Groups.Io <twasnigemakkelak=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Gonna have a look now...

Jean Dubois

--

Marco M Diodato
marco.diodato@...
+44 7565 266842

Fr Wolfgang Kreische

I received mine as well in Dresden Germany