Topics

CEP panels and Apple Silicon


Davide Barranca
 

Hello everybody,
to anyone who's interested: Adobe has published a note where they elaborate a bit on the Photoshop extensibility support with the new Apple Silicon devices.

Long story short: if you're on Windows, nothing changes. If you use Mac with Intel CPUs nothing changes. If you have a Mac with the brand new M1 chip, either you lose CEP panels altogether or you run the new PS universal app (available early next year) in emulation mode through Rosetta 2 – which is very much likely making PS a bit slower, hard to say how much for the time being. More details at the provided link.

The above has caused a bit of a mayhem in the developers community because Adobe has been telling us that the process of phasing out CEP would have taken N years, instead with Apple Silicon it turns out that N = 0. The official reply from the PS team is based almost entirely on performance concerns.
Fun fact: PS is the only one in the entire lineup that is giving up to CEP at once on Apple Silicon, all the other apps (AE, PPro, ID, IL...) will keep it alongside UXP for as long as necessary to the dev community to port their products.
Regards

Davide


Laurentiu Todie
 

Thank you Davide
for this information!
Do you know if we can keep a Mac as is, with Photoshop 21.2.4 and an M1 chip Mac with the new Photoshop version on the same Adobe subscription?

Thank you,

On Nov 25, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Davide Barranca <undavide@...> wrote:

Hello everybody,
to anyone who's interested: Adobe has published a note where they elaborate a bit on the Photoshop extensibility support with the new Apple Silicon devices.

Long story short: if you're on Windows, nothing changes. If you use Mac with Intel CPUs nothing changes. If you have a Mac with the brand new M1 chip, either you lose CEP panels altogether or you run the new PS universal app (available early next year) in emulation mode through Rosetta 2 – which is very much likely making PS a bit slower, hard to say how much for the time being. More details at the provided link.

The above has caused a bit of a mayhem in the developers community because Adobe has been telling us that the process of phasing out CEP would have taken N years, instead with Apple Silicon it turns out that N = 0. The official reply from the PS team is based almost entirely on performance concerns.
Fun fact: PS is the only one in the entire lineup that is giving up to CEP at once on Apple Silicon, all the other apps (AE, PPro, ID, IL...) will keep it alongside UXP for as long as necessary to the dev community to port their products.
Regards

Davide

Laurentiu Todie
DIGITALIS.ART




Frederick Yocum
 

This is the joy of using a commercial product from a large organization. Next to zero transparency and decisions impacted by multiple  layers of decision makers. Dark Table anyone?

regards,

Frederick Yocum
frederick@...
Website:frederickyocum.com





On Nov 25, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Davide Barranca <undavide@...> wrote:

Hello everybody,
to anyone who's interested: Adobe has published a note where they elaborate a bit on the Photoshop extensibility support with the new Apple Silicon devices.

Long story short: if you're on Windows, nothing changes. If you use Mac with Intel CPUs nothing changes. If you have a Mac with the brand new M1 chip, either you lose CEP panels altogether or you run the new PS universal app (available early next year) in emulation mode through Rosetta 2 – which is very much likely making PS a bit slower, hard to say how much for the time being. More details at the provided link.

The above has caused a bit of a mayhem in the developers community because Adobe has been telling us that the process of phasing out CEP would have taken N years, instead with Apple Silicon it turns out that N = 0. The official reply from the PS team is based almost entirely on performance concerns.
Fun fact: PS is the only one in the entire lineup that is giving up to CEP at once on Apple Silicon, all the other apps (AE, PPro, ID, IL...) will keep it alongside UXP for as long as necessary to the dev community to port their products.
Regards

Davide


Davide Barranca
 

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 07:31 AM, Laurentiu Todie wrote:
Do you know if we can keep a Mac as is, with Photoshop 21.2.4 and an M1 chip Mac with the new Photoshop version on the same Adobe subscription?
The CC subscription allows you I think a couple of seats, with which you're allowed to use whatever device. The new version that is going to be released with full support for Apple Silicon is going to be a Universal Binary (I think that's the name but I can be wrong) that can be run on M1 either as Intel or Silicon – there should be a checkbox to tick somewhere. The first run in emulation is expected to take longer as Rosetta 2 figures out what to do, then subsequent launches will be "standard".

Being this binary "universal" I guess it's the same file that is deployed to Intel Macs, only difference being that whereas Intel can run only the Intel part, M1 can run both Intel and Silicon. In other words there would be no need to keep different versions on different machines, as Intels will always be able to run CEP, and M1 will always (i.e. for an X amount of years) be able to run the emulation mode.
HTH,

Davide


Laurentiu Todie
 

Thank you!

Laurentiu


On Nov 25, 2020, at 12:33, Davide Barranca <undavide@...> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 07:31 AM, Laurentiu Todie wrote:
Do you know if we can keep a Mac as is, with Photoshop 21.2.4 and an M1 chip Mac with the new Photoshop version on the same Adobe subscription?
The CC subscription allows you I think a couple of seats, with which you're allowed to use whatever device. The new version that is going to be released with full support for Apple Silicon is going to be a Universal Binary (I think that's the name but I can be wrong) that can be run on M1 either as Intel or Silicon – there should be a checkbox to tick somewhere. The first run in emulation is expected to take longer as Rosetta 2 figures out what to do, then subsequent launches will be "standard".

Being this binary "universal" I guess it's the same file that is deployed to Intel Macs, only difference being that whereas Intel can run only the Intel part, M1 can run both Intel and Silicon. In other words there would be no need to keep different versions on different machines, as Intels will always be able to run CEP, and M1 will always (i.e. for an X amount of years) be able to run the emulation mode.
HTH,

Davide


Dan Margulis
 


On Nov 25, 2020, at 11:56 AM, Frederick Yocum <frederick@...> wrote:

This is the joy of using a commercial product from a large organization. Next to zero transparency and decisions impacted by multiple  layers of decision makers. Dark Table anyone?

It’s hard to know who to blame, though. Adobe claims not to have been able to test on this new Mac chipset, in which case they were no more to blame than Giuliana Abbiati or Davide is when Adobe makes a last-minute change to a new Photoshop release and breaks half the third-party extensions. For Apple’s part, they feel no responsibility to test every facet of every Adobe product any more than Adobe feels any responsibility to test the PPW panel before it releases a new Photoshop version.

We have a few months and more likely a year to adjust to this. Apple just released the Big Sur operating system, which they are calling OS 11. As might be expected, large numbers of bugs are being reported, correctly or not, such as the update bricking the computer so that only Apple can fix it. I strongly advise waiting until things stabilize before installing it. Also, they have released a few laptops with the new chipset. I wouldn’t buy those just yet, either, although in a few months I’m sure things will have worked out. Meanwhile, there doesn’t seem to be a schedule for putting the new chipset on larger Macintoshes.

Dan


Daniele Di Stanio
 

Truth is, Apple released to developers a transition kit, back in June:

Furthermore, on Big Sur's release day several small and big developers were ready with native support updates for their apps. In one case: BlackMagic Design Resolve (a full fledged professional solution for video color correction, that by the way is also free) an open beta with native support was published.

Adobe's promise to update with native support Lr in a month, and Ps "early next year" is bad, especially considering the difference in revenues with other apps. But the fact that they're talking to developers NOW, after they had more than four months with hardware and software it's abysmal, and means they didn't even try. 

Rumors say that Apple will update the Macbook Pro left in Q2 and possibly a 24" iMac, while larger iMacs, iMac Pros and Mac Pro from Q4 on. Just rumors, but were solid up to now.

But hey, Neural Filters, am I right? :-D

Daniele Di Stanio
fabbricacinema.com, Founder / CdA



On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 1:46 PM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Nov 25, 2020, at 11:56 AM, Frederick Yocum <frederick@...> wrote:

This is the joy of using a commercial product from a large organization. Next to zero transparency and decisions impacted by multiple  layers of decision makers. Dark Table anyone?

It’s hard to know who to blame, though. Adobe claims not to have been able to test on this new Mac chipset, in which case they were no more to blame than Giuliana Abbiati or Davide is when Adobe makes a last-minute change to a new Photoshop release and breaks half the third-party extensions. For Apple’s part, they feel no responsibility to test every facet of every Adobe product any more than Adobe feels any responsibility to test the PPW panel before it releases a new Photoshop version.

We have a few months and more likely a year to adjust to this. Apple just released the Big Sur operating system, which they are calling OS 11. As might be expected, large numbers of bugs are being reported, correctly or not, such as the update bricking the computer so that only Apple can fix it. I strongly advise waiting until things stabilize before installing it. Also, they have released a few laptops with the new chipset. I wouldn’t buy those just yet, either, although in a few months I’m sure things will have worked out. Meanwhile, there doesn’t seem to be a schedule for putting the new chipset on larger Macintoshes.

Dan


James Gray
 

I recently had problems with ACR that were really annoying me.  Basically many images were displaying on my iMac as blurry when viewed in ACR, many sliders did not work, sometimes the file being edited would display a different filename than the image shown.  I spent several hours trying to get help from Adobe using their chat option.  Eventually, the support person recommended that I go back to the previous version of Bridge as a workaround.  There are reasons why that was going to make the way I manage and organize my images much more complicated.  So I decided to upgrade my iMac to Big Sur.  That fully resolved the issue with ACR and allowed me to continue managing and organizing my images the way I like.  I have not encountered any bugs in Big Sure that have affected my use of the computer.  Just to be sure I am using Bridge 11.0.0.83 and  ACR 13.2.0.644.

James Gray


On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 5:46 AM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:


We have a few months and more likely a year to adjust to this. Apple just released the Big Sur operating system, which they are calling OS 11. As might be expected, large numbers of bugs are being reported, correctly or not, such as the update bricking the computer so that only Apple can fix it. I strongly advise waiting until things stabilize before installing it. Also, they have released a few laptops with the new chipset. I wouldn’t buy those just yet, either, although in a few months I’m sure things will have worked out. Meanwhile, there doesn’t seem to be a schedule for putting the new chipset on larger Macintoshes.

Dan