Topics

moderated Case Study: Colosseum at Night

Dan Margulis

While discussion continues of the Cinque Terre shot, I’ve posted the next case study, again due Monday. This is the first of a pair that deal with images that aren't typical of our daily work, yet come up often enough to be a nuisance. Next time we'll start with a JPEG, but this one is another selection from the MIT study. Therefore, as with the Veiled Bride and Cinque Terre studies, unsharp masking is not permitted.

Here we have a night shot of another Italian tourist attraction, this one almost 2,000 years old (completed A.D. 80). I wouldn't say it’s an enormously difficult correction, but remember that the Colosseum is where Photoshoppers who did not please the authorities were thrown to the lions.

Damnatio ad bestias will also be the lot of anyone who violates the following instructions, or tries to submit the appended thumbnail as live work.

Dan
***********

*This is one of 5,000 images taken from a large MIT study. for which permission is given for educational use. The sponsors solicited contributions of images that were supposed to represent the range that a professional retoucher might receive. They then hired five intermediate retouchers to correct each. The 25,000 resulting files were made public, as were the .dng files they started with. These efforts will be posted along with those of our group.

*In the study, no instructions were given as to what the client wanted. Here, let us assume that it is for promotion of tourism to Rome.

*You can use whatever methods you like to improve the picture EXCEPT AN UNSHARP MASK filter or similar, because the original retouchers in the MIT study were not allowed to.

*Please keep clear records of what you did for discussion. List members find these very valuable.

*In the Photos section, Case Study: Colosseum at Night,
I have uploaded a version opened with Camera Raw defaults, and another where the settings were much flatter. You may use either, or fetch the .dng as below.

*groups.io does not allow .dng format in the Photos section. If you want the .dng, you must download a zipped file from the Files section. NOTE: the zipped file contains the two default images as well, you don't need to download them separately. Filename=Colosseum_case-study_source.zip

*The designated size of this exercise is 3504 x 2336 pixels. If you use the .dng image be sure to open into the correct size. Do not crop, rotate, or alter the sizing, and don't delete any objects, because any of these things will make it impossible to use your version as part of a par assembly. Also, we had reports last time that Lightroom was not acquiring these .dngs in exactly the same aspect as other modules due to a lens correction. Therefore, we recommend that as soon as you acquire, you apply one of the default versions to it to make sure that all pixels line up.

*Your final file is to be sRGB with a proper tag. If you work in a different RGB you must Edit: Convert to Profile>sRGB before submitting the file.

*When finished, save in JPEG form, quality level 9. E-mail it to me, dmargulis (at) aol.com, with a brief explanation of how you produced it, including what file you used for your original. DO NOT POST IMAGES TO THE LIST.

*Remember that some e-mail clients automatically downsize image attachments. Make sure you’re sending it to me at the original size.

*Entries close Monday morning, 22 June, at 06:00 Eastern/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana.

*Rather than confirm every entrant I've received, I will periodically post the initials of everyone whose file I have.

*As soon as convenient after the deadline, I'll post all the entrants in a random order. Names will not be revealed except for those entrants that I or somebody else has declared to be particularly good, which will come later.

*A discussion will follow within a few days after posting the final files.

Alec Dann

Dan,

Is there any prohibition against local adjustments (ie, ACR adjustment tools or masking of layers in PS)?

Also, what is the purpose of the flattened jpeg version?

Alec

Robert Wheeler

Dan,
Although unsharp mask is not permitted, does the addition of "or similar" mean that all sharpening methods are prohibited? My presumption has been that unsharp mask allows flexibility in radius and amount that, when pushed hard, generate artistic effects beyond what we think of as sharpening. I have assumed that using either of the two sharpening actions from the PPW panel, Topaz Sharpen AI, or other methods aimed at sharpening for screen display would be acceptable as part of a usual correction workflow, but the "or similar" wording prompts this inquiry while we are working on the Colosseum image.

Thanks,

Robert Wheeler

Dan Margulis

On Jun 19, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Robert Wheeler <bwheeler350@...> wrote:

Although unsharp mask is not permitted, does the addition of "or similar" mean that all sharpening methods are prohibited? My presumption has been that unsharp mask allows flexibility in radius and amount that, when pushed hard, generate artistic effects beyond what we think of as sharpening. I have assumed that using either of the two sharpening actions from the PPW panel, Topaz Sharpen AI, or other methods aimed at sharpening for screen display would be acceptable as part of a usual correction workflow, but the "or similar" wording prompts this inquiry while we are working on the Colosseum image.

I would say that any use of the Unsharp Mask filter or anything that emulates it (as the Sharpen actions in PPW do) should be off limits. I assume that anything with “Sharpen” in its name is included.

Of course, we do several other things to our images that the MIT retouchers didn’t, but sharpening can make such a difference in quality at such a low cost in time that we ought to exclude it.

I will say that in the Veiled Bride and Cinque Terre images, the MIT retouchers by and large did a terrible job. That’s not the case with Colosseum, a couple of their efforts are likely competitive with ours.

On Jun 15, 2020, at 7:30 AM, dmargulis <dmargulis@...> wrote:

Here we have a night shot of another Italian tourist attraction, this one almost 2,000 years old (completed A.D. 80). I wouldn't say it’s an enormously difficult correction, but remember that the Colosseum is where Photoshoppers who did not please the authorities were thrown to the lions.

A reminder that entries are due in this case study in 48 hours, at 06:00 eastern time Monday/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana

I confirm receipt of entries from the following individuals:
BB
GeB
SB
AD
RG*
HH
DS
JS
RT
*indicates that a corrected version was submitted

Entries from the following were at an incorrect size/cropping and would have to be resubmitted:
RL

Dan Margulis
_._,_._,_

Dean Wilmot

Hi Dan

As I’m new to the group, Is there anywhere where I can access all the different case studies/results and techniques used for the images ?

Thanks

Kind regards

Dean Wilmot
0416 264 230

On 20 Jun 2020, at 19:39, Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

[...]

Hector Davila

I don't think you will find a better source for different case studies/results and techniques with images than Dan Margulis book:

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Photoshop-Color-Workflow-Quartertone/dp/0988280809/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362844062&sr=1-6

and it's got 10 hours of video!

Hector Davila

On 6/20/2020 3:41 PM, Dean Wilmot via groups.io wrote:
Hi Dan

As I’m new to the group, Is there anywhere where I can access all the different case studies/results and techniques used for the images ?

Thanks

Kind regards

Dean Wilmot
0416 264 230

Dan Margulis

On Jun 21, 2020, at 7:38 AM, Paco <paco@pacomarquez.com> wrote:

Why the need to work so fast on these exercises? I'm in the group to learn and have fun. I've enough pressure from clients wanting everything for yesterday! For me these exercises are a distraction, a challenge and a way to learn from others; done for fun and not competition.

I realize upon rereading that this is referring to the amount of time a person spends working on a single image, but already I have at least two complaints/comments offline about the fact that there’s one of these exercises a week and they should be more spaced out.

I would say that this comment should really be addressed to the coronavirus and not me. Moderators had been discussing implementing some case studies ever since we moved the list here. Roberto started the ball rolling with his Carnival image and then, based on comments from list members, I put together a schedule of ten exercises that I think hangs together well as a group and illustrates a whole lot of interesting points. For example this Colosseum image may not look much like Cinque Terre but it has some critical elements in common.

Ten is a lot, but if we don’t get through them at a time when many of us are stuck at home, then when? It would be very hard for me to do this if I were on the road using a laptop.

Nobody’s holding a gun to anyone’s head and telling them they must submit an entry each week. If it’s fun for you, do it; if you want to skip a week, do that, and it will all be over in the first week of August.

With that, I confirm receipt of entries from the following:
BB
GeB
SB
BC
AD
JaG
JoG
RG
HH
JH
DK
JL
RL
PM
DS
JS
RT
LV
RW

Dan Margulis

James Gray

Dan,
I appreciate the work you are doing managing the case studies.  I would suggest that anyone who thinks the pace is too fast should consider only doing every other one.    I think the pace is good.

James Gray

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Jun 21, 2020, at 7:38 AM, Paco <paco@...> wrote:

[...]

jwlimages@...

Hello Dan,

Let me add my voice to those who appreciate this group of exercises, and feel privileged to partake in some or all of them. As someone who has not been able to attend any of your workshops (sadly, no big companies to pay my way! ;-), I find this an extremely valuable opportunity to learn from the community here and from you as well. Please know your efforts are appreciated and valued greatly! (and yeah, I can hang in there through August - what else are we gonna do?!)

Regards,

John Lund

Paco

Hi Dean, go to the MESSAGES section and search there.