Topics

moderated Case Study: Beach at Sunset

Dan Margulis

Edited

We continue with the beach-at-sunset theme. This is our token smartphone-type image, although the challenge here has more to do with the lighting conditions than it does the hardware. Like the Concert on the Beach exercise, this one has room for lots of artistic interpretation, but unfortunately it is not exactly as easy technically.

If anyone doubts the utility of this exercise, let me remark later in this series you'll be confronted by another picture with the same lighting/exposure problem, but coming from an excellent camera guided by a world-famous photographer. If you can't do well on this one it's unlikely you'll be able to help his image out.

We may see more of this type of challenge in the future, particularly now that so many people are looking for time-consuming activities at home. In the last set, you'll recall working on a keepsake picture from Panama in the 1970s. So many people are going back to such pictures that a few companies now make money selling artists' canvases, based on the client-supplied photo, along with a set of 36 paints that can be used to follow the color-by-the-numbers map imprinted on the canvas.

Of course, it helps if the color of the photo has something to do with the color desired in the painting. Unfortunately, that was not the case with a friend, whose wife is dead set and determined that she is going to paint a canvas, at 70x100cm, based on a color print from twenty years ago that time has not been kind to. So guess who got a panicked call. I can hardly charge my friend for the couple of hours it took me, but the whole project is fairly expensive so I don't think they would have hesitated to pay somebody else.

This is the same kind of thing. I generally refuse to work on originals this bad, unless there is a convincing reason why there isn't an alternative available. But, I can tell you that this one has significant sentimental value to the young woman pictured, who would consider it worth our time to fix it.

Dan

Two notes about the previous entries, which may not be applicable here since we don't have a raw file to work with, but since we will the next time, let's get in the habit.

First, as noted in one of our threads, it has become possible to encode a JPEG so that it will open by default in Camera Raw and not Photoshop proper. Last year, only one person was commonly supplying files of that nature. This last exercise, I think there were five. When this happens it appears to be necessary to open a new file at the same size and then apply the offending image into it, as resaving doesn't make the problem go away. So I'd request that you double-click your own file and be sure that it opens directly into Photoshop.

Second, a reminder that applying a lens profile changes the aspect of an image enough that it can't be used for blending even though technically it's the same size as the others. So avoid that, just as you would avoid rotating or recropping.

***********
*This should be assumed to be a vacation keepsake. It comes from the same family reunion as in the Toast to Greece exercise in the last set.

*You can use whatever methods you like to improve the picture.

*Please keep clear records of what you did for discussion. List members find these very valuable.

*In the Photos section, Case Study 2021: Beach at Sunset
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/album?id=260800
I have uploaded the original file. As this original is from an iPad, you are stuck with downloading the JPEG. There is no zipped sourcefile, no raw file.

*The designated size of this exercise is 3134 x 2131 pixels [edited from original post]. Make sure that that's the size you downloaded, as groups.io makes it fairly easy to foul it up. Do not crop, rotate, enter any lens profile, alter the sizing, or delete any tangible objects, because any of these things will make it impossible to use your version as part of a par assembly.

*Your final file is to be sRGB with a proper tag. If you work in a different RGB you must Edit: Convert to Profile>sRGB before submitting the file.

*When finished, save in JPEG form, quality level 9. E-mail it to me, dmargulis (at) aol.com, with your brief explanation of how you produced it. DO NOT POST IMAGES TO THE LIST.

*Remember that some e-mail clients automatically downsize image attachments. Make sure you’re sending it to me at the original size.

*Entries close Monday morning, 22 February, at 06:00 Eastern/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana.

*Rather than confirm every entrant I've received, I will periodically post the initials of everyone whose file I have.

*As soon as convenient after the deadline, I'll post all the entrants in a random order. Names will not be revealed. Once discussion begins, those who wish to identify themselves publicly may do so.

*If the filename of your version contains your name or initials, they will be deleted before posting. If you want to be able to identify your version by name once posted, throw in a few extra letters at the end of the filename; I won't delete them.

*I will leave discussion of the results to the group for the first two days after posting, and will then weigh in with my own opinion.

Dan

Christopher Zsarnay

Hi Dan,

When I downloaded the image and open in PS the size is 3134 x 2131 Pixels.  If I resize it to 2576 wide the height is 1752.  Not 1908 like you requested.

Chris

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

*The designated size of this exercise is 2576 x 1908 pixels. Make sure that that's the size you downloaded, as groups.io makes it fairly easy to foul it up. Do not crop, rotate, enter any lens profile, alter the sizing, or delete any tangible objects, because any of these things will make it impossible to use your version as part of a par assembly.

[...]

Z Studios Photography
PH:805.644.5554
CELL:805.320.1017
www.zstudios.com
www.facebook.com/zstudios

David Remington

Dan,

The image I'm getting from Photos is 3134 x 2131.

--David

Robert S Baldassano

Mine was 317 and  the PAR is way better than mine. It is brighter overall, I like the stage lighting much better and the sand color is way better than mine. Of course the water is also better. I do notice a number of casts that are slightly different than mine. I used equipment on stage as black where I made A &B =0. I used a white T in the audience for my next point again making A&B=0. My third point was on the Tarmac which I also made neutral and finally I tried to make the sand a bit yellow, but was too timid in -B and should have added more A. I chose not to fix the water as I was running out of time.  I will need to study the differences between mine and PAR more, but looking  a t them in difference, I did not a whole lot of change, but my eye certainly told me mine needs a lot of improvement.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Edward Troy

I keep getting 3134 x 213. Anyone else?

I have uploaded the original file. As this original is from an iPad, you are stuck with downloading the JPEG. There is no zipped sourcefile, no raw file.

*The designated size of this exercise is 2576 x 1908 pixels. Make sure that that's the size you downloaded, as groups.io makes it fairly easy to foul it up. Do not crop, rotate, enter any lens profile, alter the sizing, or delete any tangible objects, because any of these things will make it impossible to use your version as part of a par assembly.

<4 beach at sunset thumbnail.jpg>

Robert Wheeler

Same issue with image size for me. Just repeated my download to document every step along the way:
Go to Photos, sort most recent to top, select Case Study 2021: Beach at Sunset, click on the thumbnail - which opens the image on a page with a "Download" button at the bottom. The image has forward and backward navigation arrows and right clicking does not open a menu for saving the image.

Next, click on the Download button - which presents the image without the information at bottom or sides.
Right click on image, use "Save Image As" option to put it in the correct folder on my hard drive.

Open immediately in Photoshop via open file button: then select Image Size from image menu to see dimensions of 3134 by 2131 pixels, size 19.1M, presented as original size.

Dan's email advised it should be 2576 x 1908 pixels. Wonder if that is an error. Otherwise, what steps should we use to get the image in the correct size?

Robert Wheeler

Dan Margulis

On Feb 16, 2021, at 12:44 AM, Robert Wheeler <bwheeler350@...> wrote:

Dan's email advised it should be 2576 x 1908 pixels. Wonder if that is an error. Otherwise, what steps should we use to get the image in the correct size?

OOPS.

Please correct that size to 3134 x 2131.

Very sorry for this error, don’t know how it crept in, will double-check in future.

I know that this size is what people are able to get from the site, because I already have one entry and it is at that size, as is my original.

Again, my apologies.

Dan

Doug Schafer

my .jpg downloaded size is 3134x2131
Doug Schafer

Dan Margulis

A reminder that entries are due in this case study in about 48 hours, at 06:00 eastern time Monday/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana

I confirm receipt of entries from the following individuals:
GB
RoB
HD
JaG
KH
BI
RL
PM
JP
DR
DS
KSo
BT
*indicates that a corrected version was submitted

Entries from the following were at an incorrect size/cropping and would have to be resubmitted:
SM

Dan Margulis

sj_90000@...

While I confess I have no idea how time flows in Italy, I am sure the in the “eastern time” zone it’s going to take *72* hours to get to “06:00 eastern time Monday”. I’ve heard that time’s somewhat malleable, but I wasn’t aware of this anomaly. :)

Date: Friday, February 19, 2021 06:24 AM
Subject: Re: [colortheory] Case Study: Beach at Sunset

On Feb 19, 2021, at 7:17 AM, sj_90000 via groups.io <sj_90000@...> wrote:

While I confess I have no idea how time flows in Italy, I am sure the in the “eastern time” zone it’s going to take *72* hours to get to “06:00 eastern time Monday”. I’ve heard that time’s somewhat malleable, but I wasn’t aware of this anomaly. :)

The days of the week are what’s malleable. I had in my mind that today was Saturday. So many people are having such lapses that the saying around here is “during the pandemic, every day is Blursday”.

Sorry. The deadline is indeed around 70 hours from now, on Monday. Depending on how many people wait until the last minute to submit, the results may not be posted as early as usual, since I’ll have to leave for my second vaccination at around 07:30.

Dan

john c.

Beware that 2nd vaccination Dan. I was one of the lucky few where it left me with a 2 day fever! Good luck with yours. I hope you fare better, but if not, don’t knock yourself out if you don’t feel like getting to these.

john castronovo

Sent: Friday, February 19, 2021 8:11 AM

On Feb 19, 2021, at 7:17 AM, sj_90000 via groups.io <sj_90000@...> wrote:

While I confess I have no idea how time flows in Italy, I am sure the in the “eastern time” zone it’s going to take *72* hours to get to “06:00 eastern time Monday”. I’ve heard that time’s somewhat malleable, but I wasn’t aware of this anomaly. :)

The days of the week are what’s malleable. I had in my mind that today was Saturday. So many people are having such lapses that the saying around here is “during the pandemic, every day is Blursday”.

Sorry. The deadline is indeed around 70 hours from now, on Monday. Depending on how many people wait until the last minute to submit, the results may not be posted as early as usual, since I’ll have to leave for my second vaccination at around 07:30.

A reminder that entries are due in this case study in less than 24 hours, at 06:00 eastern time Monday/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana

I confirm receipt of entries from the following individuals:
GB
ReB
RoB
BC