moderated Case Study: Adirondacks

Dan Margulis

After the portrait we've just finished, we return to nature for our final two studies. Find the first one in our Photos section, labeled Case Study: Adirondacks. The original is a JPEG from a decent SLR camera.
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/album?id=250782

Instructions and a thumbnail follow.

*Background: We are at the Whiteface Mountain ski area near Lake Placid, New York. In 1980, the world's best skiers were here for the Winter Olympics, but nobody remembers them today because a few kilometers away, one of the greatest upsets in sports history took place, as the then finest group of hockey players on the planet, the national team of the Soviet Union, was somehow defeated by a group of young American amateurs.

As 1980 was a special year for the area, so was 2018. An unusual combination of weather factors in the summer created conditions for a brilliant display of autumn colors, allegedly the best in half a century. I don't know whether that's true, but I did grow up in the area and never saw anything as vivid in the fall.

Therefore, you are instructed that the caption to this photo will indicate that this is the most colorful display in many years. OTOH, like so many of the case studies we've worked on, there is a limit to how colorful you can make these things without losing all believability. Plus, as a bonus, you get lousy lighting, an overcast day.

*You can use whatever methods you like to improve the picture, including unsharp mask.

*Please keep clear records of what you did for discussion. List members find these very valuable.

*In the Photos section, Case Study: Adirondacks, I have uploaded the original JPEG capture. No raw capture is available.
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/album?id=250782

*The designated size of this exercise is the original, 3000 x 2040 pixels. Do not crop, rotate, or alter the sizing, and don't delete any objects, because any of these things will make it impossible to use your version as part of a par assembly.

*Your final file is to be sRGB with a proper tag. If you work in a different RGB you must Edit: Convert to Profile>sRGB before submitting the file.

*When finished, save in JPEG form, quality level 9. E-mail it to me, dmargulis (at) aol.com, with a brief explanation of how you produced it, DO NOT POST IMAGES TO THE LIST.

*Remember that some e-mail clients default to downsizing image attachments. Make sure you’re sending it to me at the original size.

*Entries close Monday morning, 27 July, at 06:00 Eastern/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana.

*Rather than confirm every entrant I've received, I will periodically post the initials of everyone whose file I have.

*As soon as convenient after the deadline, I'll post all the entrants in a random order. Names will not be revealed except for those entrants that I or somebody else has declared to be particularly good, which will come later.

*A discussion will follow within a few days after posting the final files.

On Jul 20, 2020, at 8:17 AM, Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

After the portrait we've just finished, we return to nature for our final two studies. Find the first one in our Photos section, labeled Case Study: Adirondacks. The original is a JPEG from a decent SLR camera.
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/album?id=250782

A reminder that entries are due in this case study in 24 hours, at 06:00 eastern time Monday/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana.

Please make sure you are sending tagged sRGB, and that you have not altered the file in a way that makes it impossible to blend with others.

I confirm receipt of entries from the following individuals:
BB
JF*
JaG
TH
SJ
JL
AM
DS*
RT
RW
*indicates that a corrected version was submitted

Entries from the following were at an incorrect size/cropping and would have to be resubmitted:
JH

Entries from the following are correctly sized but cannot be used for par version due to removal/repositioning of significant objects:
RB

Dan