blue/green screens

Andrew Engelhardt

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience shooting or dealing with images that have been shot against a blue screen? We have to try to facilitate a high volume of single product images with clipping paths in a fairly fast turn-around time and we're looking at how to speed up the process of getting paths on everything. We're hoping that the blue or green screen background might help either Photoshop or another program like Mask Pro with creating a path quickly and accurately. These are files that will be repurposed for a bunch of different uses from all kinds of printing conditions to web use, thus the paths on just about everything. The only problem we can think of so far is when the colour of the product is close to that of the background. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew Engelhardt
Digital Prepress & Imaging
Marketing Dept.
London Drugs Ltd.
(604) 272-7602

Shangara Singh <eye.eye@...>

on 28/3/01 7:52 pm, Andrew Engelhardt at aengelhardt@londondrugs.com wrote:

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience shooting or dealing with
images that have been shot against a blue screen?
Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Light the screen evenly from top to bottom, side to side, use soft lights if
you can afford them.

Depending on the subject size you need to place it well in front of the
screen - minimum I'd say of 6'.

If going for a blue screen sometimes putting a slightly warm gel on the
backlight can help to kill the contamination; a light magenta if going for a
green screen though I've never lit a green screen only blues.

Get a proper blue screen and make sure when you mount it there are no
wrinkels in it. If painting a cyc get blue screen paint and apply several
coats for an even look.

Underexpose the screen about a stop and a half to get some saturation.

--
Respectfully,

Shangara Singh.

A ___adobe
C ___certified
E ___expert/Photoshop 5

Graphics Photography Multimedia Websites
</>Websites: http://www.oxyopia.co.uk