Topics

Big Sur


Randy Hoffner
 

Has anybody updated their iMac to Big Sur?  If so, what happened?


James Gray
 

I have updated my late 2017 iMac to Big Sur.  Doing that resolved a major problem with Adobe Camera Raw where some sliders would not work and images that were not blurry displayed blurry.  There were other problems as well.  I contacted Adobe and they did not recommend upgrading to Big Sur.  I have only noticed one problem created by Big Sur.  The printer utility for my Epson Stylus Photo R3000 would not work.  I contacted Epson and they gave me steps to resolve the problem and after robooting the utility worked.  I have not experienced any other issues.  Some icons and panels look different.

James Gray

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM Randy Hoffner via groups.io <rnh=ashlandoregon.org@groups.io> wrote:
Has anybody updated their iMac to Big Sur?  If so, what happened?


Daniele Di Stanio
 

Started with the public beta on day one, because my 2014 iMac was having several issues. Especially annoying shut down while on sleep, issues with previews, and audio/video recordings. Aside from some aesthetical inconsistencies while in beta was all fine. Only issue I had was with iTunes Match not working, but it was an issue on Apple's server, fixed in a couple of days.

Daniele Di Stanio
fabbricacinema.com, Founder / CdA



On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 7:34 PM James Gray <James@...> wrote:
I have updated my late 2017 iMac to Big Sur.  Doing that resolved a major problem with Adobe Camera Raw where some sliders would not work and images that were not blurry displayed blurry.  There were other problems as well.  I contacted Adobe and they did not recommend upgrading to Big Sur.  I have only noticed one problem created by Big Sur.  The printer utility for my Epson Stylus Photo R3000 would not work.  I contacted Epson and they gave me steps to resolve the problem and after robooting the utility worked.  I have not experienced any other issues.  Some icons and panels look different.

James Gray

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM Randy Hoffner via groups.io <rnh=ashlandoregon.org@groups.io> wrote:
Has anybody updated their iMac to Big Sur?  If so, what happened?


Rex Waygood
 

My iMac is a late 2019 64Gb Ram and all seems well with Big Sur.
It seemed a bit slow waking up after the upgrade but seems to have sorted itself out now.

I have purchased a MacBook Air with Big Sur and the M1 processor. That has caused a problem with a driver for an old HP network printer. Apple support got it working but at Best Quality only. The paper comes out saturated in ink! I will put up with that for the time being.


Randy Hoffner
 

Thanks to all – very helpfu.


Rex Waygood
 

Not a Big Sur Issue but on buying my new iMac it would crash if allowed to go to sleep. I would return to the machine facing a black screen with a white text warning.
I reported the problem which got escalated to a very high level in Apple. I was doing experiments, some suggested by me, with the support engineer and producing large log files to be sent off to the engineers. One of the upgrades stopped the problem. I like to think I helped! :-)


Paco
 
Edited

Problem with the color picker cursor seems to be one of the most troubling to some. For me all is well except that the red preview when adjusting size and hardness is not there. There are plenty more which you can check out at Adobe's help and community forums.

C1 Pro will not work unless uninstalled and re-installed. But all C1 files will be gone after initial Big Sur install. Backup backup backup before you try to install Big Sur.

Nevertheless I like the new UI design and, even though I can not prove it, it makes everything look sharper.

I first installed in an old MacBook which mirrored my other machines, except for C1. So seeing all my C1 files disappear on my main computer was not fun.

If all goes south and you have a Time Machine backup you should be OK. If no Time Machine BU you'll need to clean install everything. 

Macworld's site is a good source of help and there is now instructions on how to run both systems on the same machine.

Paco


Dan Margulis
 

Apple released a major update, 11.1, to Big Sur on Monday. Apparently it was conceded that there were serious instabilities in the initial release.

This simply underlines my consistent advice: don't be the among the first to install new versions of software, and the bigger the changes, the more reluctant you should be. Adobe, Apple, and many others want the update process to be automatic. I strongly advise that this feature be turned off and that you not update anything until you're sure it's not causing disaster for others.

Paco's comment should also be echoed. Before doing any update, let alone something as significant as Big Sur, have at least two backups handy.

Dan


Eric Loots
 

I concur with you on not jumping immediately on every new release, certainly not a major one. I used to do so and got bitten pretty bad in a few cases.

On MacOS, it is possible to suppress the notification for updates, but Apple has recently restricted doing so for most regular users.

It seems they’re gradually moving towards a state where you as a consumer get dictated what is or what isn’t installed on your system. Very, very bad…

Also, given what’s happened with Catalina and now Big Sur, I think it’s about time that Apple gets its act together on properly testing the OS before releasing it.

Eric

On 18 Dec 2020, at 17:29, Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

Apple released a major update, 11.1, to Big Sur on Monday. Apparently it was conceded that there were serious instabilities in the initial release.

This simply underlines my consistent advice: don't be the among the first to install new versions of software, and the bigger the changes, the more reluctant you should be. Adobe, Apple, and many others want the update process to be automatic. I strongly advise that this feature be turned off and that you not update anything until you're sure it's not causing disaster for others.

Paco's comment should also be echoed. Before doing any update, let alone something as significant as Big Sur, have at least two backups handy.

Dan