moderated Case Study: King of Beasts

Dan Margulis

Halfway through our case studies, we head west from Las Vegas to visit the San Diego Zoo.

Dan
***********

*This is our final challenge from the MIT study, with which we are now all familiar. As you know, there are no specific instructions, but it doesn't look like we need a lot of hints here about what's we're looking for.

*In the Photos section, 2021 Case Study: King of Beasts,
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/album?id=261306
I have uploaded a version opened with Camera Raw defaults, and another where the settings were much flatter. You may use either, or fetch the .dng as below. DO NOT WORK ON THE THUMBNAIL ATTACHED TO THIS MESSAGE.

*groups.io does not allow .dng format in the Photos section. If you want the .dng, you must download a zipped file from the Files section. NOTE: the zipped file contains the two default images as well, you don't need to download them separately. Filename=2021_King-of-Beasts_case-study_source.zip

*The designated size of this exercise is 3000 x 2000 pixels. If you use the .dng image be sure to open into the correct size. Do not crop, rotate, alter the sizing, apply any lens correction, or delete any tangible objects, because doing any of these things will make it impossible to use your version as part of a par assembly. We recommend that as soon as you acquire, you apply one of the default versions to it to make sure that all pixels line up.

Except as indicated in the above paragraph, you can use whatever methods you like to improve the picture.

*Please keep clear records of what you did for discussion. List members find these very valuable.

*Your final file is to be sRGB with a proper tag. If you work in a different RGB you must Edit: Convert to Profile>sRGB before submitting the file.

*When finished, save in JPEG form, quality level 9. E-mail it to me, dmargulis (at) aol.com, with your brief explanation of how you produced it. DO NOT POST IMAGES TO THE LIST.

*Remember that some e-mail clients automatically downsize image attachments. Make sure you’re sending it to me at the original size.

*Entries close Monday morning, 8 March, at 06:00 Eastern/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana.

*Rather than confirm every entrant I've received, I will periodically post the initials of everyone whose file I have.

*As soon as convenient after the deadline, I'll post all the entrants in a random order. Names will not be revealed. Once discussion begins, those who wish to identify themselves publicly may do so.

*If the filename of your version contains your name or initials, they will be deleted before posting. If you want to be able to identify your version by name once posted, throw in a few extra letters at the end of the filename; I won't delete them.

*I will leave discussion of the results to the group for the first two days after posting, and will then weigh in with my own opinion.

Laurentiu Todie

I’ve seen the Aquarium. Not bad!

Laurentiu Todie
DIGITALIS.ART

Dan Margulis

On Mar 1, 2021, at 10:25 AM, Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

Halfway through our case studies, we head west from Las Vegas to visit the San Diego Zoo.

A reminder that entries are due in this case study in 48 hours, at 06:00 eastern time Monday/1100Z/12:00 ora italiana

I confirm receipt of entries from the following individuals:

ReB
JC*
BI
PM
CP*
JP
DR
DS
KSo
KSu
BT
RW

*indicates that a corrected version was submitted

Entries from the following were at an incorrect size/cropping and would have to be resubmitted:

None

Dan Margulis