Retired need to sell off some kit

Jeff Robins

Hi,  Having retired and down sized I find myself with quite a lot of analogue large format kit.  I'm am sure that some of you have been through this and I wonder where might the best place be to sell on. All is is in good condition and working fine, I just have no use for any of it any more, it all needs a good home.  Thanks

Robert Wheeler

This issue came up when a person wanted to donate darkroom equipment, printing papers, and chemicals to our local camera club (Vancouver, WA). The club does not have a physical presence and would need to dispose of the stuff and keep the cash. A camera store in Portland, OR, that sells used equipment stopped accepting darkroom equipment more than 10 years ago. The Portland Arts program has a community darkroom, but is shut down for the pandemic and not accepting donations. Another community darkroom also was unable to accept anything due to pandemic shut down. Another used camera equipment store still accepts selected darkroom equipment on consignment, and some supplies as donation, but they generally don't buy such stuff to resell. Could not find a high school, community college, or local college willing to even accept donated equipment. Such stuff shows up on Craigslist from time to time, but success rate for actually making a sale is not clear. We were not able to accept the donation, so the person is going to try selling online a bit at a time. Better opportunities may exist in other communities or other countries.Hope you are able to use this information, dismal though it may be.
Robert Wheeler

Said Nuseibeh

Did you try KEH?

-Saïd

Robert Wheeler

We did not explore options outside of our local area.
Robert Wheeler

Paco

Hi Jeff,

I sold on eBay and also donated as much as possible to the school of plastic arts.

If you can do without the money, then just donate it or give it away to whomever will want it.

I have friends who are tired of the digital capture and are shooting film, specially B&W. One friend is shooting 8x10 Polaroids! There are probably a whole bunch of these people around you. If you feel you can help them by donating equipment so they can get better at it, do it.

I'm for sure, not going back to the lab! 😁

All the best!

Paco

Edward Bateman

There is a renewed interest in chemical photography with the younger generation. You might see if the photo department at your nearest university would be willing to post your items on their bulletin board. (But probably harder these days with many students being mainly online). I know that I have students who try to set up darkrooms... but they don't have much money. But they can be hungry for equipment.

-Edward Bateman

Quoting Robert Wheeler <bwheeler350@comcast.net>:

[...]

john c.

The analog photo user's group recently combined with two other film based groups to form Photrio

https://www.photrio.com/forum/home

They have classified ads for used equipment and a dedicated base of film and darkroom fanatics who are always looking for used gear. Remember, things like tripods, lights, backgrounds, stands, cutters, laminators, dry mount presses and so on have as much usefulness as ever and many older lenses are still great on digital cameras. I still use view cameras with digital scanning backs, so you might find that there is good value in your used equipment. Don't rush to toss everything to the curb just yet.

j castronovo