Topics

THANK YOU to Color Theory Group and Dan!

Matthew Croxton

Edited

I want to thank the Color Theory Group members who have financially supported the move to a paid platform and to Dan for his largesse in sharing the abundance of your generosity. I am a high school photography instructor who uses the PPW panel and supporting materials in helping my students learn color and image correction. I'm thrilled to share that because of your thoughtfulness, I now have a dozen copies of Dan's Modern Photoshop Color Workflow (MPCW) to use in the classroom! And use them we will…as soon as they are covered with contact paper to extend their service life. I just received the books today and have already whisked them away to the skilled hands of the school library assistant for this essential order of business. :-) Students will benefit from being able to see the before/after corrections, and will accelerate their learning of image adaptation between screen and print. I think most teachers of Photoshop focus on tools and their applications, but I appreciate the emphasis in MPCW (and here in the Color Theory Group) to dwell instead on identification and speedy correction of deficiencies, handling color and contrast separately.

While it will by no means compete with the corrections I know you will enact in the current Hotel Lobby challenge, I gave the same rules and limitations to my students this week. Here are some of their results:

Hotel Lobby Challenge: Mr. Croxton's Class

Keep in mind that a few of these students are working from LR mobile or PS mobile and are essentially "pulling parameters" rather than using more advanced actions in desktop PS. The original, unmodified image is the last one in the list, for reference. I find that I learn from seeing their versions more about the objects in the scene, and what colors and tones deserve emphasis. You are welcome to "like" your preferred version in the poll, but I don't think the free account I'm using will support all that many votes.
Thank you again!

~Matt Croxton

Dan Margulis

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 05:49 AM, Matthew Croxton wrote:
[...]

Now that the time for new entries in our own study has expired, I've reinstated the link in Matthew's message.

Dan Margulis