More case studies?

Dan Margulis

It unfortunately now looks like many of us are in for a further several months of being confined to our homes, so the question arises of whether we should repeat our experience earlier in the year with case studies, where group members can compare their own results to those of others.

First, however, I want to remind people that we are looking for educational institutions (or museums, or anything similar) who would like quantities of my two most recent books for free, thanks to the generosity of those who donated to the list. If you know of any such party, please have them get in touch with me. I’d favor destinations in the United States due to the much lower shipping expenses and the lack of worries about customs issues, but I will consider international destinations provided they pick up the additional costs and aggravation.

Putting together a series of case studies is sufficiently demanding that I wouldn’t do it unless there is a *substantial* response from list members who say they want to participate. If there is such a consensus, then I would put together a series of ten as last time. They would be designed both to interrelate and to present a variety of challenges and formats. As I recall, the last set contained one smartphone capture, one scan of an old color print, five images from a decent camera where the raw file was available, and three where it was not.

If people want to suggest certain types of image, I’m all ears, or if you want to leave the selection to my tender mercies, that’s fine too. I have some ideas and plenty of raw material.

I thought that the last format worked well: a Monday-to-Monday cycle. All entrants in the current study are posted (anonymously, and in a random order) simultaneous with release of the source materials and instructions for the next one. After the entries are posted the group has a couple of days to comment before I weigh in.

If we want to do this I think we could aim for a start date of 1 February, meaning that the series would close out in mid-April.

Dan

hawk19@...

I would like more case studies.

henry hawkins

Jim Sanderson

Sounds good to me. I would participate. I’m mostly a wildlife and landscape photographer. A few examples in those genres would be appreciated.

Jim Sanderson

, with purpose and great thought.

On Jan 7, 2021, at 1:33 PM, hawk19@... wrote:

I would like more case studies.

henry hawkins

Ronny Light

Dan,

I would be interested in more case studies.

Suggested image types? More images taken with a good DSLR that are more than snapshots.

Most cellphone photos and scans of old, faded prints are challenging but are not what I typically encounter.

I forwarded your book offer to a friend who works at the Frist Museum in Nashville. I feel sure they would be interested and will let you know.

Ronny
www.RonnyLightPhoto.com
5010 B Wilkerson Dr., Nashville, TN 37211

[...]

Robert Wheeler

I would be interested in participating. A 10 week series seems long enough for good variety but short enough to avoid feeling overwhelming.
Robert Wheeler

James Gray

I am interested.

Jim Gray

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 2:20 PM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Adrian Thompson

I would be interested as well.

On 8 Jan 2021, at 01:36, James Gray <James@...> wrote:

[...]

John Gillespie

I would be happy to participate.

Paco

Hi! I'm in!

Paco

Lee Varis

Count me in !

Harvey Nagai

I'm interested in another run of case studies.

I thought the mix of images for last summer's series was good and the 7-day cycle allowed for life getting in the way of fun.

Doug Schafer

Yes, I am interested and will participate.
Start with a basic image that needs normal fixes and proceed to most difficult images of different problems so we all can learn new stuff

Doug Schafer

Thomas Hurd,MD

I am all for 10 more images

Tom Hurd

On Jan 7, 2021, at 4:50 PM, Jim Sanderson via groups.io <Epeorusjim@...> wrote:

Sounds good to me. I would participate. I’m mostly a wildlife and landscape photographer. A few examples in those genres would be appreciated.

Jim Sanderson

, with purpose and great thought.

On Jan 7, 2021, at 1:33 PM, hawk19@... wrote:

I would like more case studies.

henry hawkins

Kent Sutorius

I am very interested.

Kent Sutorius

On 1/7/2021 4:20 PM, Dan Margulis via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Christopher Zsarnay

Please count me in for the case studies.

Chris

--
Christopher Zsarnay
Z Studios Photography

Alec Dann

Definitely interested.  Alec

Beat C

I am interested as well. I only found the 1 week cycle a bit too short. Personally I would prefer a bit more time.
But I will participate in any case.

Beat

Dan Margulis

On Jan 7, 2021, at 5:04 PM, Ronny Light <ronny@...> wrote:

Suggested image types? More images taken with a good DSLR that are more than snapshots.

Most cellphone photos and scans of old, faded prints are challenging but are not what I typically encounter.

I forwarded your book offer to a friend who works at the Frist Museum in Nashville. I feel sure they would be interested and will let you know.

First of all, when I posted initially I had a secret number in mind; if we got that many responses I’d run a new set of ten case studies, if not, I wouldn’t.

That secret number was 15. As we now have passed that, there is no longer a need for anyone else to express interest. I will start to look for appropriate images and will plan to get started with the series on 1 February, possibly a week earlier if events permit.

With respect to image selection I believe that all of us who get work from other people are seeing more substandard images than we would like. That trend will probably continue. As Paco has pointed out AI is getting better and better, so people can do more and more work themselves. They will give it to us when they find it too difficult. All this is a long way of saying that I don’t expect to increase the number of “good” images.

Thanks for the reference, I hope others can suggest other recipient. Remember, it’s this list’s donations that are making the distribution possible.

Dan

bill_iverson_washington

I’d be eager to participate in a second series of case studies.

I’ll join others in suggesting more quality images with problems, rather than snapshots with no real potential.

Images with specific problems rather than a generalized need for improvement are good.

So too are images where PPW can easily achieve a goal that’s difficult by other means.

While the line between is wavering and blurred, images offering a fairly objective basis to judge success seem preferable to images where the choice between the results of different approaches is essentially subjective.

Bill Iverson

Tae Moon

I would be very excited to join in (would be my first time in a long time if ever).

Please count me in!

Thank you,
Tae Moon

--