Topics

What Photoshop 2021 means for the PPW panel

Davide Barranca

Dear list members,

at the Adobe MAX 2020 there's been a crucial announcement that will have a considerable impact on the PPW panel development, regardless of the current state of the affairs.
The big news goes under the name of UXP, and the point is that it's now available for third-party developers in PS 2021. If you're interested in the technicalities I'm currently blogging/video-recording about it, but in a nutshell:
  • UXP (Unified Extensibility Platform, the new) is going to replace CEP (Common Extensibility Platform, the old).
  • The two will coexist for an undefined amount of time. Mind you, "undefined" does not mean "infinite", but rather "nobody knows" – my bet is a couple of years, likely more, to allow developers to port their products.
  • UXP impacts, i.e. transforms completely, both the way User Interfaces are built (the PPW Panel with its buttons, dropdowns, etc) and the Scripting that lies behind the interface (all the heavy lifting of creating layers, applying, curving, adding magic, etc).
  • All the modal/modeless dialogs that are part of the PPW panel (e.g. the ones that pops up when you click the "MMM + CB" button) will vanish too.
The above is to say that we're not facing the usual major version update where Adobe screws up few things here and there and you need to check everything and fix a couple of bugs. We're talking about a complete rewrite from the ground up. UI-wise and Scripting-wise.

The good news is that the PPW panel won't self-combust tomorrow, nor in a month, nor in a year. Very likely, CEP is going to be around for a long time (I would bet >2 years, but again, it's not a question of being under NDA or not: nobody really knows – I doubt that even Adobe engineers have the faintest idea now.) Comparisons with other CC products are meaningless because the pace with which UXP is going to be implemented in AE, IL, ID, PR, etc. and consequently the CEP EOL date, is team-dependent. Photoshop is starting first, others will follow later.

That's it – well, there's much more actually, but the rest is "just" implementation details. If you're interested I'd point you to my blog, where I currently am, and I will be for the following months, releasing developers-related UXP content.

All the above is to keep the ACT community informed about the current situation, and especially better frame the development efforts needed to transition the PPW panel into the future.

Thanks, stay safe, and have a nice day!

Davide Barranca

Frederick Yocum

Thanks for the heads up David. We will only start to worry in a year or so.

regards,

Frederick Yocum

On Oct 23, 2020, at 6:14 AM, Davide Barranca <undavide@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Wheeler

Tony Kuyper, creator of the luminosity making Photoshop panel TK-7, just released a free TK-Lum_Mask mini-plug in using the new UXP architecture, giving us a way to see how things will work (requires PS 2021) link to plug-in info . He plans to port his main product to UXP over the next year or so. At the bottom of his post, he indicates he has been working closely with Adobe on using the new technology. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Davide Barranca

Correct Robert,
Tony and others (myself included) have been working for months in direct contact with Adobe engineers to prepare this MAX launch – alongside with UXP comes a renewed Marketplace, that is hosted in the CCD (Creative Cloud Desktop) app. If you scroll the list you'll find my plugins ALCE and Double USM too, alongside with the free Floating Adjustments and Theme Switcher :-)

In fact, it's exactly thanks to that first hand experience that I felt compelled to inform the list about the challenges ahead. At the moment, UXP is usable but for several reasons it might be a good idea – as Frederick pointed out – to just wait for it to progress a bit more, before taking action. After all, UXP is just at version 1.0: I've been using workarounds, and workarounds of workarounds in my production code, and it's not been entirely fun ;-)

Davide

k_d@...

For what its worth, I installed Ps 2021 with the UXP and other new stuff.

PPW is virtually unusable (carried over from Ps 2020, and same after I tried a re-install which won't work because this is a newer CC version)

The problem is the PPW panel is now larger and only displays part of the panel and the panel size is not adjustable.

This is true for almost every plugin panel. I have 2 panels which are adjustable in height and width and those work fine but the reset size does not "stick" for next Ps restart and I must adjust them every time I use Ps.

So I use both PsCC 2020 and 2021 for now depending on what tools I plan to use.

Apparently Adobe did not leave the CEP legacy code the same as in PsCC 2020...or all could have been OK.

Doug Schafer

Jim Sanderson

Hmm, did you ye download it as a legacy extension?  I’m having no problems with the PPW panel in 2021.

Jim Sanderson

, with purpose and great thought.

On Oct 23, 2020, at 2:01 PM, k_d@... wrote:

For what its worth, I installed Ps 2021 with the UXP and other new stuff.

PPW is virtually unusable (carried over from Ps 2020, and same after I tried a re-install which won't work because this is a newer CC version)

The problem is the PPW panel is now larger and only displays part of the panel and the panel size is not adjustable.

This is true for almost every plugin panel. I have 2 panels which are adjustable in height and width and those work fine but the reset size does not "stick" for next Ps restart and I must adjust them every time I use Ps.

So I use both PsCC 2020 and 2021 for now depending on what tools I plan to use.

Apparently Adobe did not leave the CEP legacy code the same as in PsCC 2020...or all could have been OK.

Doug Schafer

k_d@...

Nope, was not aware. I looked for a new version in new Adobe plugins; not there.

Thanks, where do I find it?  link?

Doug Schafer

Jim Sanderson

In Photoshop, go to "Window" (between Plugins and Help at the top) and go down to Find Legacy Extensions.  Search there for PPW.  I removed the PPW from my extensions in photoshop, redownloaded it from the legacy extensions site and then reinstalled it and it worked properly.......Hope that helps.  I used Anastasiy's Extension Manager to reinstall the PPW panel.

Jim Sanderson

Nope, was not aware. I looked for a new version in new Adobe plugins; not there.

Thanks, where do I find it?  link?

Doug Schafer

Glenn Smith

I had the same problem and it is easily fixed.  I am on Win 10, Mac may be different.  In the Window / Extensions menu, I re-selected PPW Tools.  I now have 2 PPW panels, one with a gray background which is like you describe and one with a white background which works fine

For what its worth, I installed Ps 2021 with the UXP and other new stuff.

PPW is virtually unusable (carried over from Ps 2020, and same after I tried a re-install which won't work because this is a newer CC version)

The problem is the PPW panel is now larger and only displays part of the panel and the panel size is not adjustable.

This is true for almost every plugin panel. I have 2 panels which are adjustable in height and width and those work fine but the reset size does not "stick" for next Ps restart and I must adjust them every time I use Ps.

So I use both PsCC 2020 and 2021 for now depending on what tools I plan to use.

Apparently Adobe did not leave the CEP legacy code the same as in PsCC 2020...or all could have been OK.

Doug Schafer

Davide Barranca

PS 2020 used CEP 9, PS 2021 implements CEP 10 so differences (which is a sugar coat on the word "bugs") can be expected.
I'm reading feedback from fellow developers about panel size issues, it seems that some of them are experiencing cut out content like this:

🙄

k_d@...

Thanks so much,
I'm off to download and install

Doug Schafer

k_d@...

I managed to find "legacy" PPW @ Adobe
Did a download and install into new PsCC2021

It did so, (took 10 minutes on 200Mbs access) has "white and black" icon, But...

Install is PPW ver. 4  (I have PPW v5 in PS 2020)
and, still same size problem.....only part of the panel is shown and thus still unusable.
Looks same size whether docked or floating and size cannot be changed.
I'm using 4K monitors...maybe an issue?
Is there a way to copy files of PPW v5 from Ps 2020 to 2021?  Although I don't think that is a solution because I think that was installed when Ps 2021 installed (including prev. ver. 2020 setup during Adobe install)

Guess Adobe or perhaps developers will solve soon??

Doug Schafer

Jim Sanderson

Hmm, I'm using the v4 panel.  I can't even load 5 into PS on my machine.  Windows 10, with 4k NEC monitors............I don't have the size problem.  Not sure what is going on with your machine.  Did you use the installer I mentioned?

Did a download and install into new PsCC2021

It did so, (took 10 minutes on 200Mbs access) has "white and black" icon, But...

Install is PPW ver. 4  (I have PPW v5 in PS 2020)
and, still same size problem.....only part of the panel is shown and thus still unusable.
Looks same size whether docked or floating and size cannot be changed.
I'm using 4K monitors...maybe an issue?
Is there a way to copy files of PPW v5 from Ps 2020 to 2021?  Although I don't think that is a solution because I think that was installed when Ps 2021 installed (including prev. ver. 2020 setup during Adobe install)

Guess Adobe or perhaps developers will solve soon??

Doug Schafer

Rick Gordon

My PPW5 seems to be fully functioning, at least so far as I've experimented, in CC 2021, on my Mac Pro 4.1->5.1 running Mojave. That was without reinstall, just picking up my old settings.

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com

k_d@...

Yes followed your guidance, got files from Adobe, Adobe site did the install (I had to close Ps2021)
Started Ps 2021, checked legacy plugin and PPW ver 4 looks as you see in prev. .jpg (partial panel and can't re-size panel)

I wrote to Adobe and waiting for a reply.

Doug Schafer

PS When I installed Ps2021 it brought over PPW v5 but it did not work (same size problem). I tried the PPW v5  jsx installer but it won't work with newest PsCC 2021. And now PPW v5 gone from legacy plugins list (but no problem as it didn't work anyway.