ACR 12.3: Do You Like It?

Rex Waygood

If you employ people to write software then that is what they do, needed or not.

Support call to Adobe.
Me: Can you help I am having problems with the latest ACR upgrade?
Adobe: Certainly sir, what is the problem?
Me: I don't understand why you've painted my front door Red.
Adobe: Our research showed that people that liked our new ACR front end also liked red front doors. It is included in the package.

Dan Margulis

On Jun 23, 2020, at 4:35 PM, James Gray <james@...> wrote:

I think there is little doubt they wanted ACR to be more like the Lightroom Develop module.

Not having looked at the new version it sounds like the same old same old. Here’s what I wrote in 2008:

When applications are mature, rather than devote time to developing useful new features, which among other things require talent and run the risk of being found not to work properly just when the product is about to ship, the developer resorts to jacking around with the interface, making useless changes that are then fobbed off as making the product more efficient.

And I suggested four specific rules for software developers. Obviously, I said, when a new feature is introduced the developers need time to adjust the interface based on what they learn about what users think of it. So, maybe three versions, or five years, to diddle with it. And if ever they decide to add significant new functionality to it, then the clock should start again.

Once an interface is long established, however, changing it for the sake of changing it is the mark of incompetence, of a programming team that can’t figure out better ways to use its time. The idea that a long-standing interface should be changed for compatibility with the look of other products is a common excuse and is a crock, IMHO.

Those comments, as well as those of other list members, are at

Dan Margulis

James Gray

I think there is little doubt they wanted ACR to be more like the Lightroom Develop module.  I think I have found all of the features of ACR that I had been using.  The features are still there that I could not find in Lightroom in the past (I have not checked to see if they have added those features into the LIghtroom Develop module).  As a former software developer, I can say there are a lot of good reasons to make the user interface in ACR more like Lightroom.  It has been said for a long time that ACR and the Lightroom Develop module used the same engine.  It was just the user interface that was different.  Having different interfaces presents a challenge to programmers when feature changes were made.  With different interfaces a lot of additional programming might be needed to integrate new features into two different interfaces.  I am getting used to the new interface.  There are some things I like better about the upgrade.  The most important is that the previous ACR would crash on my system if I got up and walked away from the computer for several minutes.  I have not had the new ACR crash at all.  I will easily live with a new interface if it means ACR does not crash.  It appears to me that the Dehaze and Texture sliders work better.
James Gray

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 8:20 AM Alec Dann via groups.io <alec.dann=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
It appears they wanted to make ACR more like Lightroom.

You can change the layout of the right adjustments panel by right clicking it and selecting single panel mode (the equivalent of solo mode in LR) or multi-panel mode (all panels open).  You can also access this setting by clicking the Settings gear icon in the upper right.

Alec

Bill Theis

OK.  that works.  Thanks.  still not fond of new ACR.  It is soooooo slowwwwwww and sluggish

Gerald Bakker

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 07:58 PM, williamtheis wrote:
I have not found a work around to apply the recommended presets in the PPW book pages 385 (see Fig 14.9).  I had these as a preset which it now ignores and I'll be damned if I can figure out how their new curves interface works.
William, you have to click the second of the five circular controls right above the curve. The mouse tooltip calls it "Click to edit Point Curve". That gives you the "classic" curves interface.

--
Gerald Bakker
http://geraldbakker.nl

Bill Theis

Besides being slow and unresponsive compared to the previous ACR, I have not found a work around to apply the recommended presets in the PPW book pages 385 (see Fig 14.9).  I had these as a preset which it now ignores and I'll be damned if I can figure out how their new curves interface works.  this is a serious problem.  Anyone know of a way to do this or go back to the previous ACR somehow?

Alec Dann

It appears they wanted to make ACR more like Lightroom.

You can change the layout of the right adjustments panel by right clicking it and selecting single panel mode (the equivalent of solo mode in LR) or multi-panel mode (all panels open).  You can also access this setting by clicking the Settings gear icon in the upper right.

Alec

Ronny Light

I get to ACR through Bridge. The new GUI takes a moment to get used to but I like it.

I like that all the buttons and sliders are on the right side, not left, top, and right—fewer mouse miles.

I like that you can hide the filmstrip and that makes the image bigger than it ever was before.

Some of the new terminology, optics, and geometry, are different but make sense.

There are profiles from Jared Platt and Matt Kloskowski. I never use presets but some may like them.

Everything that was in the previous GUI is there plus more. I saw an option to use the previous GUI but I don’t know if that will be permanent. I will use the new one.

My favorite feature is that the image can be so much larger. That probably won’t be true in Lightroom.

Ronny

www.RonnyLightPhoto.com

5010 B Wilkerson Dr., Nashville, TN 37211

Gerald Bakker

Rick, I upgraded PS, ACR and Lightroom Classic just this morning and I agree with your comments. Although I don't use ACR that often (mostly doing raw processing in Lightroom which looks for the most part unchanged) all this moving of interface controls is mostly annoying and doesn't seem to serve any useful goal. I don't mind a UI change, provided it's for the better. Otherwise, it's just frustrating as it breaks the automatisms of a user's way of working.

I also noticed that they changed a lot of the terminology. "Lens corrections" is now called "Optics". "Transform" is now called "Geometry". The Curves interface has changed a lot (have you tried that yet??) with confusing terminology as well. In the Basic panel we have "Whites" and "Highlights". In the Curve panel, it's "Highlights" and "Lights".
--
Gerald Bakker
http://geraldbakker.nl

Dan Margulis

Rick sent this message to the old yahoogroups, apparently by mistake.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rick Gordon <lists@...>
Subject: ACR 12.3: Do You Like It?
Date: June 19, 2020 at 4:08:47 AM EDT
To: Color Theory List <colortheory@...>

I just opened up Adobe Camera Raw to find that they've seriously — and in my opinion, horribly — mangled what had been a very nice interface.

Most notably, the panels are now all in vertical sequence, so that every panel is in a different part of the screen, while before, the active panel always originated from the same place on the screen, meaning that you have to move the cursor much more to do things.

They also moved the tools from a row on top to a column on the extreme right, and I don't like that as well either.

They also moved the slideshow from the left column to the bottom row, where they other pictures take up more space on the screen than before, but at least there is a preference for that. But no preference to return to the legacy layout, which I think was way better.

Looking at various comments on the web today, I'm seeing lots of other comments from people who are not at all happy with it; and Adobe is suggesting that they just don't use the current version, though of course, that comes with lost device support and loss of some other possibly good features (though I haven't experimented with them yet).

But I'm curious: Does anybody like what they did with 12.3?

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com