Heads up re ordering Chevreul book

Dan Margulis

Here’s some important information for those indicating they wished to get the first copies of the Chevreul book,

The bad news: you will have to act much faster than one would like.

The good news: the job goes on press Monday. I just bought my plane tickets. Your copies should ship not later than Monday 20 January. The printer can drop-ship them to you and you will get them a month earlier than if you wait for them to become available online.

We are trying to get an automated order page up but are running into technical difficulties. If they cannot be resolved today, I’ll post a manual order form first thing tomorrow, Friday.

The deadline for receipt of orders is (gulp) Monday, 22:00 GMT, which is 5 pm Eastern time in the United States. But, if you are trying to take advantage of a limited offer, see below, then the deadline is (double gulp) Saturday 17:00 GMT, which is noon Eastern time in the United States, only about 24 hours after I post the form

Several of you indicated that they would purchase multiple copies. These people should note that we have a fixed shipping charger per shipment—not per book.

DETAILS:
*Chevreul’s text is the most influential work on color practice ever written, for a reason. We think that this book is going to be of great interest to designers, artists, photographers, and anyone involved in the visual arts in any way. We have posted several excerpts, including the cover, the foreword, the table of contents, and some supplementary material at
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/files/Chevreul

*Also, a lengthy group discussion of the book is found at
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/topic/on_the_simultaneous_contrast/51403235?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,51403235

When the book goes on sale online it will sell for $69.95 plus shipping and tax.

For this special promotion the per-book price is $59.95, plus a per-shipment charge for handling, listed below.

Additionally, I have room to bring a few copies of Modern Photoshop Color Workflow, and will add them to an order for $19.95/book—which is a steep discount from the price of $74.95 available online. No more than one copy per copy of the Chevreul book. I will only bring along as many books as I can fit. THE DEADLINE FOR ORDERS TRYING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS PARTICULAR OFFER IS ONLY ABOUT 24 HOURS AFTER THE FORM POSTS. If there are more orders than I can carry it will be first-come first-serve and of course we will not charge the card,

The shipping/handling charge per shipment (not per book) depends on the destination country. Only the following countries can participate in this order. Since we don’t know the exact ship date we are not offering any kind of priority shipping, it’s just going to be book rate.
United States: $10/shipment
Canada: $30/shipment
Western Europe: $40/shipment

The printer says that I will be able to autograph books on request, but I say there is no guarantee of this.

Until tomorrow morning!
Dan Margulis

George Machen

For those who really, REALLY want one autographed, can you find out the following two considerations in time to make a decision?
1) When it goes online, will it be Amazon Prime-eligible? That would make it about a wash, higher-price-but-free-shipping-wise.
2) If you let Amazon Prime do at least some of your fulfillment, then can those assuredly be autographed? That would make the wait worth it.

– George Machen

Dan Margulis

On Jan 9, 2020, at 3:42 PM, George Machen <gmachen@...> wrote:

For those who really, REALLY want one autographed, can you find out the following two considerations in time to make a decision?
1) When it goes online, will it be Amazon Prime-eligible?

I am not an Amazon spokesman, but I assume that it will be handled the same as MPCW, which *is* Prime-eligible.

That would make it about a wash, higher-price-but-free-shipping-wise.

On the assumption that only one book is being ordered, and that you don’t mind waiting a few extra weeks, yes.

2) If you let Amazon Prime do at least some of your fulfillment, then can those assuredly be autographed? That would make the wait worth it.

It would not be worth the aggravation. Outside of beta readers, I can count on my fingers the number of readers who insist on having an autographed copy. For those, I’ve simply mailed out copies from my house, granted that I travel a lot and that inasmuch as I have no shipping department, and a package of greater than .4 kg cannot be dropped into a mailbox, it has to wait until I get to a post office.

Anyone who prefers that the books ship *only* if they are autographed can indicate that on the order form. The printer says they’ll have them ready for me to sign, but press delays are not uncommon, and if the books aren’t bound by the time I leave, well, it would be about 4,000 km out of my way to return and sign them.

Dan Margulis

Douglas K. Jardine

Hello Dan,

I am a lurker on your web site.� I am not a beta reader.

However, when you first announced your book, I wrote saying I wanted to buy one, one that was autographed if that could possibly be arranged.

If I am among the few to whom you have mailed an autographed copy, please let me know--privately to my email address is just fine.� I'd like to know that before ordering is closed; If I don't hear I'll order one before the deadline date.� If I end up with two copies, that's also fine.

Ciao,

Doug

On 2020-01-09 1:05 p.m., Dan Margulis via Groups.Io wrote:
It would not be worth the aggravation. Outside of beta readers, I can count on my fingers the number of readers who insist on having an autographed copy. For those, I�ve simply mailed out copies from my house, granted that I travel a lot and that inasmuch as I have no shipping department, and a package of greater than .4 kg cannot be dropped into a mailbox, it has to wait until I get to a post office.

Sterling Ledet

I'm finalizing the order form right now and just sent Dan my hopefully final revisions. Doug, you are the first entry in the official excel file but we'll still need your signed order form to make this official. I'm emailing you the latest (probably final, unless Dan makes additional changes) PDF.

For others, the basic instructions will be to fill out this form, email it to sales@... or fax it to +01- 770-414-5661 before end of business Tuesday (Eastern US Time) and pay the resulting invoice before noon on Wednesday.

The form will be live and posted tomorrow before noon Eastern US time.

Douglas K. Jardine

Hi Sterling,

You said you were sending me the probably final PDF version of the order form, but no file was attached to your post.

How do I proceed, or should I just wait a bit longer.

Ciao,

Doug

On 2020-01-09 10:44 p.m., Sterling Ledet wrote:
I'm finalizing the order form right now and just sent Dan my hopefully final revisions. Doug, you are the first entry in the official excel file but we'll still need your signed order form to make this official. I'm emailing you the latest (probably final, unless Dan makes additional changes) PDF.

For others, the basic instructions will be to fill out this form, email it to sales@... or fax it to +01- 770-414-5661 before end of business Tuesday (Eastern US Time) and pay the resulting invoice before noon on Wednesday.

The form will be live and posted tomorrow before noon Eastern US time.

Sterling Ledet

Just to prevent confusion, Doug emailed me between when I sent him the private email of the final revisions and when I posted to him that I was sending it. I spoke to Dan a couple of hours ago and I am 98% sure we are on the same page. Tomorrow morning I expect Dan will either approve the PDF form I just sent to Doug or make some additional  changes and then we will post it to http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/

Just fill out the form and send it in via email or fax. You’ll get an invoice pretty soon after you send in the form. Get your order in before 5:00 PM Eastern US Time Tuesday and pay it before 12:00 Eastern US Time Wednesday in order to meet the deadline and be on the list to receive books from the printer before Dan leaves.

In general, if you want this book, get it in before Monday please. We all want Dan to do his job and focus on the press check! That’s especially true if you want a signed copy of Modern Color Workflow. I told Dan I’d be happy to send the MCW with no additional shipping expense from the inventory in Atlanta but he won’t be here it sign it so if you want his signature, you really should make sure to put your order in tomorrow.

  • Sterling

.

On Jan 10, 2020, at 1:51 AM, Douglas K. Jardine <d_jardine@...> wrote:

Hi Sterling,

You said you were sending me the probably final PDF version of the order form, but no file was attached to your post.

How do I proceed, or should I just wait a bit longer.

As can be seen from the posting time Sterling has been up most of the night finalizing this form. When I woke up he had sent it to me for an OK when I woke up. As we all know, the devil never sleeps, but I believe that Sterling does, so I’ve made an executive decision. In view of the extreme shortness of time I will refrain from turning it into a work of art and have now posted it to our files section, direct link

To reiterate some of the points:

*The thread in which so many members announced that they intended to buy, and sometimes buy multiple copies—that was advisory only. To actually get the book through this process you need to fill out the interactive PDF and fax or e-mail it per the instructions. And, because the pressrun starts Monday, we need this right away—not later than Tuesday for the new book, not later than tomorrow if you are trying to get a signed copy of Modern Photoshop Color Workflow.

*No payment is required when submitting the form. You will shortly after submitting it receive an automated invoice, which you can pay by Paypal, Venmo, credit card, digital check, or any major crypto. That final payment has to be received by Wednesday.

*The form also offers a large discount on copies of Modern Photoshop Color Workflow. If you are placing such an order, PLEASE E-MAIL ME SEPARATELY IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS, so that I can figure out how many copies to put into my baggage. Note that Sterling has offered to send additional copies separately from Atlanta if I cannot bring enough to the printing.

*The form has a comments field where you can request an autograph if possible. As I said to George earlier, I am told by the printer that this will work, but I can’t guarantee it. So if you don’t want the books shipped UNLESS they are autographed, put that in the comments field.

Thanks to Sterling for solving a lot of unforeseen technical issues with this process, and thanks to all of you for your great interest in this book, which caused us to be more optimistic about how many copies to print.

Dan Margulis

Giuliana Abbiati

I'have sent the order form to  sales@...  but mail returned :
Mail delivered SYSTEM
This is a system-generated message to inform you that your email could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. Details of the email and the error are as follows:
5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied.

I have no fax

Regards
Giuliana

Bart van Hofwegen

5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied.
Same here.
Bart van Hofwegen

Dan Margulis

On Jan 10, 2020, at 7:28 AM, Bart van Hofwegen <bvanhofwegen@...> wrote:

5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied.

YIPE!!

Well, everybody put it on hold, then, until Sterling wakes up and can address this. He may not have been anticipating that I would post the PDF yet. Sorry for the confusion! More details as soon as we get them.

On Jan 10, 2020, at 7:32 AM, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

YIPE!!

Well, everybody put it on hold, then, until Sterling wakes up and can address this. He may not have been anticipating that I would post the PDF yet. Sorry for the confusion! More details as soon as we get them.

I have sent a test message and confirm that it was rejected. I have therefore deleted the form from the files section pending a resolution.

Dan Margulis

George Machen

My pointer would change into a cursor icon over the Signature field, indicating ready for text entry, but clicking would not place a blinking insertion point and I couldn't enter text. But all of the other fields worked fine. (But I was in the third-party Skim PDF app; perhaps if I installed Adobe Reader, it would have worked.)

– George Machen

Beat C

Dan, great news that the book is about to be there.
Shipping to Europe is almost as expensive as the book itself, so I am asking if the book will be (in due time) available on Amazon.de  (that is Amazon Germany), from where it ships much cheaper (and less chance of getting lost).

Thanks, Beat

Dan Margulis

On Jan 10, 2020, at 8:51 AM, Beat C <b.cornaz@...> wrote:

Dan, great news that the book is about to be there.
Shipping to Europe is almost as expensive as the book itself, so I am asking if the book will be (in due time) available on Amazon.de  (that is Amazon Germany), from where it ships much cheaper (and less chance of getting lost).

Beat,

It should be handled in the same way as Modern Photoshop Color Workflow. If you can find MPCW on amazon.de then I assume the Chevreul book will get there eventually (but I do think the overseas sites get inventory much later than amazon.com (US).

Dan Margulis

Roberto Tartaglione

On Jan 10, 2020, at 15:16, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

It should be handled in the same way as Modern Photoshop Color Workflow. If you can find MPCW on amazon.de then I assume the Chevreul book will get there eventually (but I do think the overseas sites get inventory much later than amazon.com (US).

Dear Dan,
I’m quite on the fence regarding the purchase of the book:  I thought Amazon would be a better choice but
checking on the Italian site, MPCW is offered at 170€ (so I assume will be almost the same for Chevreul book).
I don’t know what is the quotation at other Amazon vendors in Europe but
maybe  the pre-order + shipping fees would be however cheaper than purchasing at Amazon Italy.

I think I will wait for the right pre-order form.

Ciao
Roberto Tartaglione

Dan Margulis

On Jan 10, 2020, at 10:14 AM, Roberto Tartaglione <roberto@...> wrote:

I’m quite on the fence regarding the purchase of the book:  I thought Amazon would be a better choice but
checking on the Italian site, MPCW is offered at 170€ (so I assume will be almost the same for Chevreul book).
I don’t know what is the quotation at other Amazon vendors in Europe but
maybe  the pre-order + shipping fees would be however cheaper than purchasing at Amazon Italy.

I think I will wait for the right pre-order form.

It sounds like this answers Beat’s question as well as yours. In the U.S. Amazon charges a little less than €70 for MCPW. So apparently they wish to charge €100 extra for the privilege of buying in Europe. So I would say our $40 shipping charge is preferable.

Dan Margulis

Alec Dann

Please let us know when the form has been re-posted.  Looking forward to seeing it.  Alec

Dan Margulis

On Jan 10, 2020, at 10:47 AM, Alec Dann via Groups.Io <alec.dann@...> wrote:

Please let us know when the form has been re-posted.  Looking forward to seeing it.  Alec
_._,_._,_
We are expecting a fix in the next hour. Thanks to everyone for their patience.

OK, we’re back in business. My prediction of having it fixed within an hour came true with about 37 seconds to spare. The order form has been reposted at the link below, and not only has my own test order been accepted but we also got three live ones in the few minutes its been back up. Thanks to Sterling and Damon Ledet for their diagnostic and surgical skills.

We apologize for the screwup and thank everyone again for their interest. I am repeating the original message for reference below. I will also start a new thread that repeats it, in view of the earlier chaos.

Dan Margulis

On Jan 10, 2020, at 6:51 AM, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

[...]

*The form also offers a large discount on copies of Modern Photoshop Color Workflow. I need to know in the next 24 hours how many copies I can try to put in my luggage. Note that Sterling has offered to send additional copies separately from Atlanta if I cannot bring enough to the printing. Those, however, won’t be autographed.