Upgrade PS, Can you run two versions?

Jim Donovan

Hello,
 Been bouncing around this subject for years. I work for a publishing company my job is to prep/correct/retouch all photos that print in our magazines. We print a host of niche magazine titles  that print sheetfed and web. I process many hundreds of photos per month.

I run PS 2014 and use the Dan's panel several amazing plus ins. Works fantastic. I have a very specific workflow and many go to time proven methods that produce consistently good results. I haven't seen anything in any update since PS 2014 that would be enough benefit my specific workflow to go through the headache of upgrading and re-setting up my photoshop set up.

 A glance at 2019 PS has me intrigued with several tools that finally would be of benefit to me. The new Content Aware(stunning! Check it out!), The Modern Undo, Blendmode preview, Color Wheel(uses HSB!) Auto Commit and 2x select subject have me pondering and upgrade.

 I have gotten many mixed answers and I need to know 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that I CAN RUN two photoshops completely independent of each other at the same time with no issues what so ever. Like they don't even know each other is on my mac. I've heard sure you can, I've heard no you can't, I've heard you must replace an old version and start from scratch and every combination you can think of. I LOVE photsohop, I HATE having to play around with something trying to make it work, don't have time or interest to do so. It needs to work, now. I have two versions of Indesign that work just fine and independent on the same mac. I don't have time to fix a train wreck.

 Didn't know who else to ask. So what has been everyone's experience with upgrading PS? Can I run TWO versions with NO issues like I can with Indesign? Hopefully I can get a 100% answer and  download and set up PS 2019 with doing ANY damage to my PS 2014. Thank you for your time.

--
Jim Donovan
Harris Publishing

RJay Hansen

I had multiple versions of Photoshop on my machine for a long time. Never had any problems. I don't know that I ever had two different versions running at the same time though.

As a caveat, I have had many problems recently with the PPW panel and two or three weeks ago, wondering if having multiple Photoshop versions on my machine was causing the PPW problems, I uninstalled all but the latest version in an attempt to fix my PPW problem. I don't think that was what was causing the problems as uninstalling older Photoshop version did not fix the PPW issue.

That's my experience. Hope it helps.

RJay

Kirk Thibault

Hi Jim,

I have several versions on my machines and can run them all concurrently.  I use the Creative Cloud plan for all of them (that is, I do not run a pre-CC version along with the CC versions, but I did many versions ago w/ CS6 and the CC versions with no problems).  You should also be able to remove and re-install all of the CC versions at will via the Creative Cloud Desktop app - on my machine, this goes all the way back to CS6.  If you click on the down-pointing triangle next to the “open” button in the CC Desktop app for any version of photoshop you have installed, you can choose the “manage” option and choose to install “Other versions" of photoshop.

I just opened CC2015, CC2018 and CC2019 all at the same time on my Mac with no problems.  For more recent versions of Photoshop, plug-ins live in a common location so re-installing them (or copy-pasting) with each new version is no longer necessary for most plug-ins.  Scripts and that kind of thing may require new installation for each new version of PS, depending on the nature of the support files and where they need to live.

If you want only certain plug-ins to be available to a particular install of PS, then install the plug-in files in the local, version-specific plug-ins folder, not the common folder.

None of my installations of new versions have adversely affected a previous install.  HOWEVER YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU INSTALL (“UPGRADE”) THE NEW VERSION YOU UNCHECK THE “REMOVE OLD VERSIONS” BOX from the “Advanced” options of the dialog that should appear when you choose to upgrade to the new version.  You might also want to transfer your preferences to the new version as well, which you can specify in the dialog (checkbox).  Here is a short video on YouTube that shows the dialog to which I refer, albeit for Adobe Audition CC - but the dialog is generally the same.

If you accidentally remove the old version (2014, for example) the application will be removed but your old PSCC2014 folder and the plug-ins folder inside of it should remain intact in your Applications folder.  If you re-install 2014 it will re-install back into that folder.

Hope this helps, I apologize in advance if your specific platform or workflow might not conform to my experience.  I cannot, obviously, guarantee that you will be 100% successful with no issues whatsoever.

kirk thibault

On Oct 24, 2018, at 1:15 PM, Jim Donovan jim@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

[...]

Ronny Light

At various times, I’ve run two versions of Photoshop.  I ran CS6 and plugins when I moved to PS CC and either program and its plugins ran well as if they were the only installation.

I habitually keep the previous version installed just in case something doesn’t work right with the current version.  I have PS CC 2018 and PS CC 2019 installed now.

You picked some of my favorite new features in PS CC 2019.  One I didn’t see mentioned is Control < Z.  It used to toggle between the current state and the previous state.  Now, Control < Z can be hit many times to allow unlimited redos.  That may seem like a small thing but it is a most welcome new features.  Ah, just saw that you did mention this feature.

[...]

Thank you for the input, very helpful! Thanks Kirk for the great tips on how NOT to uninstall previous versions. Once the dust settles on PS 2019 and the many fixes that we know are coming I think I'll give it a try. Need to be able to keep a working version just in case. Jim Donovan

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:42 PM Kirk Thibault kirkthibault@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

[...]

john c.

How is control-z in 2019 any different from shift-control-z in prior versions which gave us as many undo's as we set history states for in preferences? Is it truly unlimited now? The previous limit was a ridiculous 1000 undo's, so what’s the new big deal besides using 2 keys instead of 3?

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:39 PM

You picked some of my favorite new features in PS CC 2019.  One I didn’t see mentioned is Control < Z.  It used to toggle between the current state and the previous state.  Now, Control < Z can be hit many times to allow unlimited redos.  That may seem like a small thing but it is a most welcome new features.  Ah, just saw that you did mention this feature.

Davide Barranca

Hi Jim,
the only issue that I am aware of – but it is not 100% repeatable – is that Adobe Generator might complain at launch time.

For the general audience AG is the thing behind the automatic assets generation based on Layer names, but technology-wise it is a Node.js server running in background that developers can access for a variety of different purposes (e.g., in my book on PS Scripting I demoed a plugin that connects to an Artificial Intelligence web service and performs face recognition/blurring – the connection side was managed via AG).

I would guess that having multiple PS versions (i.e. Node.js servers) can cause some kind of conflict...?
Besides that, I've never had any issue.
Hope this helps!

--
Davide Barranca

Gerald Bakker

The advantage of Control-Z vs. Control-Shift-Z is compatibility with many other applications.
It takes some time getting used to, but I definitely prefer it. I also reassigned the keyboard shortcut for Redo to Ctrl-Y which is very common as well. (The default for Ctrl-Y is Proof Colors which I never use anyway.)

Another small but very convenient improvement is a thicker, better visible crosshair for color samples. How often have I wondered where I placed one that I wanted to remove...

Gerald Bakker
http://geraldbakker.nl

Jim Donovan

Gerald Bakker commented

Another small but very convenient improvement is a thicker, better visible crosshair for color samples. How often have I wondered where I placed one that I wanted to remove...

Agree completely! It still freaks me out when I can find a color sampler. I go through channels and can usually find it that way.

So here is the BIG question. Has anyone taken the plunge into the new PS AND installed the panel and are you successfully using it in the new PS? Any issues?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 3:11 PM gc.bakker@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

The advantage of Control-Z vs. Control-Shift-Z is compatibility with many other applications.
It takes some time getting used to, but I definitely prefer it. I also reassigned the keyboard shortcut for Redo to Ctrl-Y which is very common as well. (The default for Ctrl-Y is Proof Colors which I never use anyway.)

Another small but very convenient improvement is a thicker, better visible crosshair for color samples. How often have I wondered where I placed one that I wanted to remove...

Gerald Bakker

--
Jim Donovan
Harris Publishing
208-542-2231
Jim@...

Ronny Light

I use Control

Control

The advantage of Control-Z vs. Control-Shift-Z is compatibility with many other applications.

It takes some time getting used to, but I definitely prefer it. I also reassigned the keyboard shortcut for Redo to Ctrl-Y which is very common as well. (The default for Ctrl-Y is Proof Colors which I never use anyway.)

Another small but very convenient improvement is a thicker, better visible crosshair for color samples. How often have I wondered where I placed one that I wanted to remove...

Gerald Bakker

Ronny Light

I just ran into a problem with integer updates – PS CC 2018 to PS CC 2019 – that I’ve run into in the past but is easily fixed.

Russell Brown, aka Dr. Brown, Adobe’s longtime mad scientist, came up with Image Processor that was later incorporated into Photoshop.  Then, he came up with Image Processor Pro that is not incorporated into Photoshop but is available as a 3rd party download.

Image Processor Pro is Image Processor on steroids and is a free add-on I use all of the time.

Each time I do an integer update, Image Processor is broken.  Then, I have to reinstall.  With the current version of PS CC, the installation is done manually by moving certain files into the proper folders in PS CC.  You can move them from a previous installation or from the install folder.

Yes, it’s a pain that integer updates break the Image Processor Pro installation but it just takes a few minutes to reinstall and I can’t live without IPP.

There are links that say Image Processor Pro doesn’t work in PS CC 2018 but I used it as long as PS CC 2018 was current and I’m using it now in PS CC 2019.

Dr. Brown is not supporting any of his 3rd party creations anymore and turned them over to open source at SoundForge – to save you an agonizing search to find IPP:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/v3_2%20betas/

Gerald Bakker

Hi Jim, I converted to PS 2019 and use the PPW panel without problems. Note that the panel doesn't have to be reinstalled, it's there automatically including all options you had set.

Surprisingly, the "Remove old versions" button was by default unchecked this time. Keep it like this, and you can always revert to the previous PS in case of trouble.

During testing of the PPW panel, I found two very minor bugs, but these appear to be reproducible in PS2018, so not related to the new PS version.
For completeness, I list them here. Not sure if they are worth fixing, but I leave that to Dan and Giuliana. I use Windows 7.

1. When I click any of the three buttons in the "BLUR" block, the button jumps a few centimeters down but nothing else happens. Only when I click it again, the action is executed. Click another button and it jumps back to its normal place.

2. The following scenario is not right:
- open an image and convert to LAB
- make a selection
- hit Alt + MMM+CB
- when the Options window appears, hit the Cancel button
- the MMM+CB layers are removed but the Options window stays there. It can only be removed by the "X" in the upper right corner

Gerald Bakker

john c.

Actually, I always liked the fact that ctl-Z (cmd-z for me since I’m on macOS) did just one undo and then one redo when you hit it again. It was a nice way to toggle back and forth between the current state and the last change. Then if I wanted to go farther back, I could always use ctl-shit-z and go as far back as I needed to or ctl-alt-z to come back. They all very conveniently fall under the hand within the same part of the keyboard too which ctl-y does not. IMO, this update is a silly and unnecessary feature, and I will grant that it’s more in keeping with other software, but is that really a good thing? Thankfully, we can still reprogram the keyboard shortcuts to our liking. BTW, I use ctl-y to proof colors.